Cabbage Slava – growing and care
For the ancient Greeks, cabbage was a symbol of sobriety. And Pythagoras believed so much in its healing properties that he was engaged in its selection. Gradually, cabbage migrated from the shores of the Mediterranean Sea and the Atlantic to the territory of Ancient Russia and, having spread throughout the Eurasian continent, became one of the most commonly used vegetable crops in European cuisine. For the inhabitants of Russia, white cabbage is considered a traditional variety, for the cultivation of which 30% of the sown area is allotted. And a special place among the types of white cabbage is occupied by the Slava cabbage. Why is she so fond of gardeners and how to grow it?
Description of the variety
Cabbage Slava belongs to a mid-season variety of white cabbage, since the head of cabbage is formed 110-125 days after germination. Being a moisture-loving plant, the Slava cabbage variety has a good tolerance for a lack of moisture.
According to the official characteristics, Slava cabbage gives a high yield up to 12.5 kg / sq. Gardeners fell in love with this variety of cabbage for its excellent taste and ability to withstand the main diseases affecting cabbage..
The shape of the heads of cabbage is round or round-flat. Heads’ weight varies from 2.5 to 4.5 kg. Cabbage leaves are pale green in appearance, and white in section.
Slava cabbage is well transported, can be stored for up to 3 months, does not crack. Has a good presentation, and therefore is successfully sold behind a retail counter.
The taste of fresh cabbage can be enjoyed until early January, but it is also good in sauerkraut..
Characteristics of cabbage: Slava 1305 and Slava Gribovskaya 231
There are two types of Slava cabbage: 1305 and Gribovskaya 231. Let us briefly review the characteristics of Slava cabbage:
- Slava Gribovskaya 231. Formation of a head of cabbage takes 100-110 days after planting seedlings in the ground. A ripe head of cabbage weighing 2-3 kg has a good density and has a rounded shape. According to the catalog of cabbage varieties description, Slava Gribovskaya gives a yield of 6.6 to 8.9 kg per 1 sq. M. The structure of the leaf is finely wrinkled, the edge is smooth, the color is dark green with a slight waxy coating. It is appreciated for its unpretentiousness to soils and better tolerance to lack of moisture.
- Glory 1305. Ripens 14 days later than the previous species, but is characterized by a higher yield and resistance to cracking. It has better resistance to mucous bacteriosis. Heads of cabbage give larger (3-5 kg), but less dense. It is stored somewhat worse, because it deteriorates faster.
Both are grown for fall consumption and fermentation..
Growing cabbage Glory
In order for the harvest to please the gardener, it is necessary to take into account the basic requirements for growing Slava cabbage:
- Slava cabbage is grown by seedling and non-seedling methods.
- Slava cabbage seeds are planted for seedlings in unheated greenhouses covered with foil, or under a tunnel shelter in the beds in the first half of April.
- The optimum temperature for planting seeds is 12-180C.
- In order for the seedlings to grow well, one plant needs an area of 25 cm..
- Seedlings are ready for planting in the ground if 5-6 true leaves have formed on it, and they have reached a height of 15 cm.As a rule, this moment occurs in mid-May – early June.
- Before transferring seedlings to open ground, they need to be hardened for 6-8 days..
- For planting in the ground, choose a sunny area.
- Disembarkation scheme: 60×60 cm.
- 2-3 hours before transplanting seedlings into the ground, the garden bed is watered abundantly with water.
Separately, it is necessary to stipulate the features of soil preparation for transplanting seedlings:
- cabbage Slava loves slightly acidic fertile soil with a pH close to 6. If the pH value is too high, then liming of the soil should be carried out;
- Slava cabbage will grow well if its predecessors were potatoes, legumes or perennial herbs;
- in the fall, the soil is well dug up and fresh manure (70-80 kg / m2) or humus (40-50 kg / m2) is introduced;
- before planting seeds, the soil is leveled with a rake.
Let’s take a closer look at the process of planting Slava cabbage seeds under tunnel shelters:
- seeds are planted in pre-made grooves 1-1.5 cm deep, located at a distance of 7-8 cm from each other;
- planted seeds are watered and covered with mats, which are not removed until the first shoots appear;
- after the appearance of the first leaf, the seedlings are thinned out so that 5 cm of free space remains between neighboring plants;
- water the seedlings as the soil dries.
In order for the seedlings to grow strong, they need to be fed on time. Top dressing takes place in two stages:
- Stage 1. The first feeding is carried out when 2 true leaves have formed on the seedlings. To prepare a mixture of fertilizers, superphosphate (6 g), ammonium nitrate (5 g) and potassium chloride (2 g) are used per 1 square meter of soil. The resulting mixture is scattered between the beds and watered well.
- Stage 2. The turn of the second feeding comes a week after the first. Seedlings for transplanting into the ground are ready in 30-35 days.
Cabbage care Slava
When the seedlings are planted in open ground, caring for Slava cabbage involves abundant watering, pest control and timely feeding.
As a rule, Slava cabbage must be watered 7-8 times during the entire growing season. And after watering, it is recommended to huddle the cabbage bush to stimulate the growth of new roots and, as a result, the formation of larger heads of cabbage. But watering should be stopped 2-3 weeks before the planned harvest..
To scare away pests, a bed of cabbage is planted with a strong-smelling plant, for example, marigolds or petunias, the main thing is that these plants do not shade the cabbage.
Slava cabbage is fed in 3 stages:
- Stage 1. After 2 weeks after planting the seedlings in the ground, the first feeding of the plant with fermented mullein solution is performed: 1 bucket per 10 liters is spent for 5-6 bushes.
- Stage 2. The second feeding takes place during the period of head formation. Wood ash is already added to the mullein solution (50 g per bucket).
- Stage 3. The third feeding is performed 3-4 weeks after the previous one using the same technology.
A good characteristic of Slava cabbage is worth giving it a place in your garden. The simple process of growing and caring for cabbage Slava will be rewarded with the excellent taste of such a popular and healthy vegetable.