What is liquid rubber in a can, what and how is it used
Liquid rubber in a can is an innovative multifunctional product that, after application, turns into a durable rubber moisture-resistant coating, changing the appearance of the treated surface.
Due to these properties, rubber protects a car or other treated object from scratches, chips and other damage. This progressive product contains bitumen, other auxiliary substances and does not contain harmful volatile compounds. If it is not possible to vulcanize and apply raw rubber to seal the machine, liquid rubber is an alternative..
Useful Uses of Liquid Rubber
What is liquid rubber for? This unique modern material has many uses..
Plastidip or a similar liquid rubber (rubber paint and liquid vinyl are two more names for the product) is applied to materials such as:
- carbon steel;
- stainless steel;
- cast iron;
- ceramics and others.
Using a liquid plastic composition from a spray can, they stylize and protect bumpers, hoods, wheel rims and caps, emblems, radiator grilles, wheel arches of the car, and other objects.
The surface treated with liquid rubber, after drying, is a matte uniform coating.
With this tool, you can achieve:
- Saving time and money. There is no need to repair or replace worn parts, parts. Application by spraying from a balloon makes it possible to process surfaces of any complexity and bending.
- Anti-slip effect.
- Protection of the surface from premature wear and other environmental factors. This is destruction due to temperature extremes, the action of corrosion, the ingress of atmospheric precipitation, foreign objects, scorching sunlight.
- Improving the appearance, physical and anti-vandal characteristics of the treated surface.
- Simple and quick rubber coating without complicated preparatory work.
- Improvement of the protective properties of the selected surface due to the replacement of sealant, mastic, vibration-insulating, water-repellent compounds, paints (rubber from the balloon has various color options).
With the correct use of liquid rubber in cans, strong adhesion to the surface (adhesion) occurs, which allows you to protect any processed material for a long time.
Liquid rubber in a spray can: the use of factory and homemade compounds
It is not necessary to have the experience of a specialist from a car workshop to cover the desired surface with rubber from a cylinder. It is enough to follow a few simple rules and carefully read the information provided on the product label. Before using rubber, it is worth washing the car or cleaning the surface of another treated object from dirt, drying and covering with polyethylene those areas that will not be processed. This applies, for example, to windows, mirrors, glass, car tires.
After a little preliminary preparation, liquid rubber is applied in a can in one or more layers until a monolithic dense structure is obtained. After the end of the spraying of the rubber composition, it remains to wait for the surface to dry, which usually takes about an hour under favorable external conditions and one applied layer, or about a day after a large number of treatments. By the way, if necessary, you can easily remove the rubber film without the use of available tools. To do this, you just have to pull the edge and soon there will be no trace of the rubber coating on the woodworking complex of a car or other surface..
To save money on expensive spray rubber cylinders, refer to the following instructions.
How to make liquid rubber at home:
- To make a rubbery mixture for application to a surface to protect it, you should prepare one package of borax, a couple of bottles of PVA glue, and half a glass of water. Colorant (if required), two mixing containers, elongated object (stick) for stirring the composition.
- At the second stage, water and borax should be carefully drained into one of the prepared containers. Stir the solution until it becomes clear..
- Next, you need to mix the glue and dye in a second container. And then combine the liquids in one bowl.
- You just have to wait for the liquid to solidify.
It will be necessary to apply homemade liquid rubber for waterproofing with improvised means. It can be pumped into a cylinder only at a specially equipped enterprise..
It is best to spray the rubber coating from a can onto a clean surface that has been washed and dried. In this case, the subsequent adhesion or adhesion will be maximized. The temperature regime is sufficient to provide within the range from +18 to +23 ° С.
In the process of drying the surface after coating with liquid rubber, it is advisable to prevent direct sunlight, rain, snow and strong winds. The humidity in the room where the procedure is performed should also be monitored separately. It should not be too large or very small, this negatively affects the final result..
Always check the readiness of the previous layer of rubber before applying the next.
When applying liquid rubber in several steps to improve the strength of the coating, you should always expect a sufficient amount of time. For complete drying of each subsequent layer, it will take 30-40 minutes, in some cases an hour. The manufacturer always indicates more detailed information on this on the packaging of the goods. Often they manage with two or three, maximum five applications, although you can, if necessary, increase this number to ten or twelve.