Reliable support for vines – do-it-yourself garden trellis
Effective landscape design techniques include vertical gardening. A do-it-yourself garden trellis is ideal for the process. Climbing plants help to make even ordinary garden corners original. The special design is responsible for the decorative and functional purpose. Any owner of the site can make a lattice on his own.
What is a garden trellis
The trellis device is not difficult. Modern structures are made from lumber, plastic pipes, metal and polyethylene. Various cultures grow beautifully on such a wall..
Sturdy structures protect the stems from damage. Due to the simple design, the plant does not break and does not get wet from the abundance of moisture. The trellis makes it easy to care for any plant. It can be used to mask unsightly areas or give a certain direction..
A do-it-yourself garden trellis is a rope structure or lattice tied to a support, which is used for the growth and development of ampelous crops. With the help of a trellis, plants can form full-fledged lashes.
When deciding how to make a trellis with your own hands, it is worth considering the type of plants and methods of forming stems. Structures for planting grapes must have rigidity and reliability. It is designed for heavy loads.
For cucumber bushes, trellises, nets and devices with high arcs are suitable. Supports of medium height are used for the tomato. When planting roses, you can use wrought iron and wood trellises. Panels and decorative grids look great.
The form of trellises differs in a variety. Arched, two-cavity and single-cavity structures are in demand. Many gardeners prefer V-shaped and T-shaped varieties..
Simple variations include a single-plane product that includes two parallel supports with tensioned cables. Two-plane trellis have bases that are arranged crosswise and have a short and a longer upper crossbeams. Rows of wires are attached to the ends of the elements. Especially popular are vertical and trellis structures, along which it is good to guide climbing plants.. The interiors have fine-mesh structures or are composed of thin pieces that are cross-to-cross. The choice of configuration depends on the location of the trellis.
The advantages of trellis structures
Trellis in landscape design has such advantages:
- Protects from contact of fruits with the surface of the earth. Berries or vegetables stay clean.
- Provides high-quality ventilation, which prevents the appearance of fungal growth.
- Allows you to create uniform lighting.
- Facilitates watering, pruning and harvesting.
The support allows you to mask unattractive areas in any area. Horizontal variations of the supports are used for mounting the gazebo. This option allows you to create a shadow on the territory. The trellis is a wonderful device for decorating the garden area..
Types of trellises
There are several types of trellis designs that form reliable supports..
Net designs are ideal for planting clematis and roses. To create them, meshes with large meshes and with a PVC coating are used. The tapestry is resistant to deformation and the required strength.
The installation consists of two supports with a mesh stretched between them. It is not difficult to make such a structure, the following steps are performed:
- Before arranging the trellis, the elements are marked on the ground.
- Recesses are dug where wooden or metal support posts are placed.
- The installed elements are painted with paint of a suitable shade. This helps to protect structures from rot and corrosion..
- Then the mesh is pulled.
Made of wood
Do-it-yourself wooden trellises are popular, which are distinguished by aesthetics and special beauty. To make them, you need to stock up on branches, as well as ropes and wire. This simple design does not require complex calculations to install.
Wood trellises are safe and reliable elements. They go well with any design. Well suited for climbing plants. They look natural and beautiful. They are easy to attach and easy to process..
The creation of a trellis includes the following steps:
- Branches need to be laid out.
- Each element is set in the ground, and the second branch is positioned at an angle of 60 degrees. Then these parts are tied with ropes..
- All other branches are intertwined in the same way..
- As a result, rhombuses of the correct configuration should be obtained, which are fixed with ropes..
- All protruding branches are removed and a grid is obtained that has a rectangular shape.
If necessary, the system can be disassembled and stored. Before arranging the structure, it is important to take into account the peculiarities of the planted crops. For some climbing plants, the supports need to be strengthened. For this, a frame made of wood of great strength is used. Fixation can be done with nails or by cementing the supports. A simple twig design is more suitable for raspberries, blackberries and climbing roses.
In order for the product to serve for many years, it must be processed from moisture. Special impregnations are suitable for this..
Support structures made of plastic pipes
For large climbing crops, do-it-yourself plastic pipe trellises are ideal. The constructions allow you to create a reliable frame system. They can be used for vineyards.
Structures made of plastic pipes allow you to create any configuration. From flexible elements, you can make objects from arches or make an additional veranda near the wall of the house.
To create a structure, clamps are used to connect plastic parts. You also need to prepare fittings and a hacksaw for fastening the structure to the ground. First, the marking is performed on the territory. Then, according to certain dimensions, a structure is placed.
Plastic elements have many advantages. They are resistant to moisture, stress and temperature fluctuations. Small diameter pipes are suitable for creating trellises, which do not interfere with the penetration of light rays.
Made of metal
To decorate the site, you can use metal trellises for climbing plants. Such structures are suitable for the location of weaving crops – cucumbers, grapes and a variety of flower variations. And also for shrub plants – raspberries, blackberries and currants.
Before installing structures, it is important to correctly calculate the load and select high-quality materials. The larger the plant, the more stable the reinforcement should be chosen. To place bush varieties, you can use a thin lattice of metal reinforcement, connected by posts. The parts of the supports are fastened with a special wire. To make the metal mesh more durable, it is necessary to apply welding.
How a do-it-yourself garden trellis is made
With minimal skills and a set of tools, you can make a garden trellis with your own hands. The design can be either horizontal or vertical. Mixed support structures are popular. They are suitable for fixing tomatoes, cucumbers and grapes.
To make a simple trellis, you need to prepare in advance a ruler, a special solution, nippers, a hacksaw and a hammer. For woodwork, you will also need nails. For arranging a wall of reinforcing elements, wire is required. To build a trellis out of pipes, you need to stock up on clamps.
The trellis manufacturing process includes the following stages:
- First you need to choose the optimal size of the structure. At the planning stage of the garden area, you should decide on the configuration of the trellis. The shape is selected taking into account the type of plant. Combined or vertical support elements are suitable for the vineyard. For the arrangement of tomatoes, it is worth choosing elongated vertical structures. Cucumbers go well with mixed and vertical meshes. For shrubs, trellises around the perimeter of the bush in the form of a round fence are suitable. Any products are suitable for curly varieties.
- The necessary parameters and shapes of the walls are entered into the drawing..
- It is important to correctly calculate the weight of the trellis walls, which should exceed the weight of the crops.
- With the help of a solution, it is necessary to fix the posts in the soil. Supports are installed at a certain distance. If the structure is small, the posts are simply buried in the ground. Then the grill should be evenly fixed on the support.
After installing the wall structure, different plant varieties can be placed. The branches are attached at a certain distance. To strengthen the structure, support pillars are additionally used. This will protect the structure from falls, even with the growth of large liana-like crops. To strengthen plastic and wood elements, you need to use axial parts and special crossbars. To extend the service life of the structure, varnish coatings should be used for processing. When placing the trellis along the track, it is recommended to use not one wide element, but several prefabricated parts.
Useful recommendations and a step-by-step installation plan will allow you to build a functional and beautiful trellis in any area.