Health Benefits of Dried Bananas and Homemade Recipes
Dried bananas are a delicious, natural and nutritious delicacy that is rapidly gaining popularity in the Russian market. In many countries of the world, this product has long received the status of “superfood” – it has a rich natural composition, perfectly nourishes and improves health. Due to the lack of heat treatment, dried bananas retain all the valuable nutrients found in fresh fruits. Using simple and easy recipes, delicious and natural dried fruit can be prepared on your own, at home.
Dried bananas – energy value and composition
Dried bananas contain an increased concentration of potassium, phosphorus and group B provitamins. These elements help to strengthen the cardiovascular system, improve brain activity, strengthen memory and stimulate digestion..
Dried bananas contain a wide range of beneficial elements:
- vitamins of group A, B1, B2, B5, B6, B9, C, E, K, PP;
- micro- and macroelements – calcium, potassium, phosphorus, selenium, manganese, copper, zinc, sodium, magnesium, iron;
- arginine, lysine, valine, leucine and other essential amino acids;
- polyunsaturated and saturated fatty acids;
- mono – and disaccharides;
- organic acids;
- vegetable fiber.
Dried banana fruits are high in energy value. The calorie content of dried bananas is 340-390 kcal per 100 g.
In addition, the glycemic index of the product is 65-70 units. These features of the composition must be taken into account for people with excess weight and diabetes mellitus..
The health benefits of dried bananas
The beneficial properties of dried bananas are due to their rich natural composition, which includes several dozen vitamins, micro- and macroelements, essential amino acids and other valuable nutrients. This natural product improves the nervous system by increasing the production of serotonin, also called the “happiness hormone” and improving mood..
What are the benefits of dried bananas:
- improve the functioning of the organs of the gastrointestinal tract;
- normalize stools and help fight constipation;
- increase the level of hemoglobin in the blood;
- reduce the negative effects of stress, reduce nervousness and anxiety;
- strengthen the cardiovascular system;
- increase the body’s resistance to viruses and pathogenic bacteria;
- accelerate the excretion of salts, harmful toxic substances and excess fluid from the body, reducing swelling;
- strengthen muscles and restore their tone.
Dried bananas strengthen the walls of blood vessels, reducing the negative effects of nicotine and ethyl alcohol. Therefore, this natural delicacy is very beneficial for smokers..
Dried fruit is useful for people suffering from gastric ulcer and duodenal ulcer, gastritis and other diseases of the digestive system. It improves the functioning of the stomach and intestines without irritating the walls of the inflamed mucosa.
How to make dried bananas at home
Drying bananas at home is done in a variety of ways. Fruit can be dried naturally, under the sun, using an oven, microwave or a special electric dryer for fruits and vegetables. All these methods are light and simple, so even a beginner in cooking can cook a tasty and healthy delicacy..
First of all, you need to prepare the fruit. To do this, rinse the bananas, dry with a towel and gently peel them, being careful not to deform the flesh..
Bananas can be dried whole or cut. For natural fruit chips, cut them into thin slices 3-4 mm thick, for homemade dried fruits – 1-2 cm.The thicker the slices, the longer it will take to dry them..
The most popular and easiest way to prepare is to dry bananas outdoors. But such a recipe is considered the most dangerous, since dust settles on the fruit during drying, insects can settle. Cover the banana slices with thin gauze to protect them..
How to dry bananas in the sun:
- To dry fruit, prepare baking trays or trays and cover them with baking parchment sheets.
- You can dry both whole peeled fruits and cut into slices.
- Spread out the banana slices in a thin layer and cover with cheesecloth.
- For even drying, the fruit must be turned over 1-2 times a day..
- After the dried golden crust appears on the surface of the bananas, you can no longer turn them over, leave them until fully cooked.
When drying bananas in the sun, watch out for the weather. In case of rain, as well as at night, trays with fruit preparations should be brought indoors.
In the oven
You can use the oven to dry banana slices quickly. To prevent the fruit from sticking to the baking sheet, it must be lined with baking parchment or a silicone baking mat.
How to make dried bananas in the oven:
- Arrange the banana slices in one layer on a baking sheet. You can also dry whole fruits by laying them in a thin layer..
- Send the baking sheet to the oven and slightly open its door.
- Preheat the oven to 60-70 ° С, if the device has a convection mode – turn it on.
- After 50-60 minutes, remove the baking sheet and turn the dried banana fruits.
- Send the workpiece for re-drying for 2-3 hours.
For drying thin slices, 1-1.5 hours is enough, whole bananas are dried for up to 3 hours. Leave the finished dried fruits on the table until they cool completely and only then pour into a container for further storage..
In an electric dryer
Drying banana slices in an electric dryer takes 7-12 hours, for whole fruits it takes up to 24 hours. This method has gained popularity due to the ease of preparation, uniform blowing and the absence of overheating of the fruit..
To prepare dried fruits, spread slices or whole fruits on the grid of an electric dryer in a thin layer and turn on the device at 50-55 ° C. Leave the bananas to dry for 2-3 hours, then raise the temperature of the appliance to 70 ° C. Let the dried fruit cool at room temperature.
Dried bananas in cooking
Dried bananas are a delicious, nutritious snack throughout the day that can replace store-bought pastries. Dried fruits can be eaten for breakfast, added to cottage cheese or oatmeal – this will provide tone and energy for the whole day. They are also used as an ingredient in other dishes..
What can be made from dried bananas:
- cereals and homemade muesli;
- curd casseroles;
- fruit salads;
- homemade sweets;
- cookies and pancakes;
- filling for rolls, cakes and other pastries;
- compotes and milkshakes.
Dried bananas are a tasty, healthy and natural delicacy that strengthens the immune system and saturates with energy. This sweet product can be used as an independent snack, as well as added to cereals, fruit desserts, and baked goods. When consumed in moderation, banana dried fruits strengthen the cardiovascular and nervous system, increase tone and give an excellent mood for the whole day..