How are the medicinal properties of soddy pike grass for our health
Sod pike is a common plant used for decorative landscaping of a garden plot and creating laconic, natural landscape compositions. But this is far from all the benefits of perennials, because the medicinal properties of the sod pike herb have long been known in herbal medicine. Extracts and extracts from different parts of the plant are used for the production of Proteflazid and other drugs with antiviral, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial action..
The appearance and botanical features of the soddy pike
A pike or sod meadow is a perennial herb from the Cereal or Bluegrass family. In natural conditions, it can be seen on the mountain slopes of the Caucasus, in Central Asia, North America, Russia and other regions of Europe..
The turfy pike meadow got its name due to the fact that in the process of rapid growth it forms dense hummocks and sods. This perennial can most often be seen in swampy meadows with high humidity, in forests and in fields located near water bodies. Pike can also be found along highways and in pastures..
The main features of the turfy pike:
- A perennial cereal plant looks like dense bushes growing in hummocks up to 110-125 cm high.
- The root system is fibrous type, penetrates deep into the soil up to 60-80 cm, in swamps up to 25 cm.
- Leaf plates are linear, thin and narrow, up to 2-3 mm wide, dark green, with a rough surface.
- Paniculate flowers, consisting of spikelets 3-5 mm long. They form large panicles, the size of which can reach 20-25 cm.
- Flowering begins in the second half of June or early July. Depending on the variety, the flowers can be purple, violet, golden yellow or greenish in color..
In agriculture, pike is considered a tough weed that is difficult to control. At the same time, sod meadow is highly valued in landscape design. The plant is used for natural gardening of personal plots and filling of garden voids..
Medicinal properties of turfy pike grass
A wide range of medicinal properties of sod pike grass is due to its extremely rich natural composition. This plant is an invaluable source of amino acids and flavonoids, the concentration of which in terms of rutin is at least 0.6%.
Also, turfy pike contains carboxylic acids in an amount of at least 0.7%, calculated as organic malic acid. The composition of the meadow includes many other biologically active substances – vitamins, tannins, organic acids and polysaccharides.
Due to the unique natural composition, the sod meadow has a positive effect on the human body.:
- fights viruses and pathogenic microorganisms;
- inhibits the development of inflammatory processes;
- increases the body’s resistance to pathogenic bacteria;
- improves the functioning of the kidneys and urinary system;
- helps fight puffiness, providing a mild diuretic effect;
- improves skin condition, accelerating the healing of wounds, abrasions and acne marks.
In herbal medicine, various parts of the soddy pike are used – leaves, stems, inflorescences. Various decoctions, infusions, alcoholic and aqueous tinctures are prepared from them, intended for both internal and external use..
Medicinal properties of soddy pike grass in folk medicine
Due to its many medicinal properties, sod pike grass is widely used not only in herbal medicine, but also in the pharmaceutical industry. In the composition of this perennial plant, essential amino acids and other active substances with antiviral and antimicrobial effects were identified..
Sod grass decoctions and infusions are used in alternative medicine for the treatment of colds, flu and diseases of the upper respiratory tract. They have a mild diaphoretic and diuretic effect, due to which they help with fluid retention in the body, flu and colds..
Sod pike in folk medicine is used for the treatment and prevention of many diseases of viral and infectious origin.:
- kidney disease;
- disturbances in the work of the gastrointestinal tract;
- decreased immunity;
- swelling of the face and body;
- papillomavirus infection;
- Hepatitis B;
- adenovirus infection;
- chicken pox;
The turfy pike helps to quickly improve the functioning of the digestive system in case of various poisonings and relieve unpleasant symptoms. To do this, you just need to chew a few fresh leaves of a soddy meadow – signs of intoxication quickly decrease.
The medicinal plant can be used both internally and externally. Baths with the addition of a decoction or infusion of turfy pike help to improve the condition of the skin in psoriasis, allergic urticaria, dermatosis and other dermatological diseases. This natural remedy eliminates skin rashes, itching, burning, stimulates skin regeneration.
Contraindications for use
Infusions, decoctions and tinctures of turfy pike have several contraindications for use..
- peptic ulcer of the stomach or duodenum;
- gastritis in the acute stage;
- individual intolerance to the active components that make up the plant;
- children under 3 years old;
- the period of pregnancy and breastfeeding.
The turfy pike is a perennial herb popular with landscape designers and traditional medicine aficionados. The meadow will perfectly fit into various garden compositions, will help in landscaping stone gardens, lawns and filling voids in garden plots. The medicinal properties have made the pike popular in the field of herbal medicine. On its basis, antiviral, diuretic, anti-inflammatory and immunomodulatory drugs are produced..