Why Savoy cabbage is good for you and who needs to eat it regularly
Few of us know how savoy cabbage is useful. This vegetable is a rare guest on our table. Most think that it is difficult to grow her on her own, since she is capricious and demanding in care. And you can buy it only in large city stores. In fact, such inattention to this vegetable is undeserved. It is rich in vitamins and minerals and helps fight many diseases. Therefore, it is important to remember its main properties and contraindications for use..
Modern scientists know everything about savoy cabbage. This plant belongs to the cruciferous family. If earlier some assumed that this vegetable was a product of a mutation of white cabbage, now it is known for sure that it is an independent species. Its head has a loose structure. It is formed by soft delicate leaves with a relief surface.
- vitamins A, E, group B, PP, ascorbic acid;
- minerals: sulfur, boron, cobalt, zinc, calcium, iodine, iron;
- vegetable fiber;
- amino acids.
One of the important aspects of what Savoy cabbage is useful for is its alcohol content. This substance is used in industry as a sweetener. Thanks to this, cabbage can be safely eaten for people suffering from diabetes..
Savoy cabbage is great for diet food. The calorie content of the vegetable is only 28.2 kcal per 100 grams..
Benefits of Savoy cabbage
The list of health benefits of savoy cabbage is impressive. Especially the following can be highlighted:
- High doses of vitamins strengthen the human immune system. Thanks to this, it better resists the viruses and bacteria that attack it..
- Antioxidants help eliminate waste and toxins. This allows you to stay young and active..
- There is savoy cabbage for hypertensive patients. It contains components that lower blood pressure.
- A large amount of fiber included in the vegetable has a positive effect on the digestive tract. Intestinal motility is normalized.
- Cabbage leaves contain calcium. This substance is necessary to maintain the integrity of the skeleton and teeth..
- An important aspect of what Savoy cabbage is good for is the presence of potassium in it. Without regular intake of this trace element in the body, normal work of the heart muscle is impossible..
- Manganese, which is part of the vegetable, has a positive effect on the functioning of the liver. It is cleared of accumulated toxins.
- Cabbage contains carotene for eye health.
- After eating the vegetable, a diuretic effect is noted. This has a positive effect on the functioning of the kidneys, reduces swelling, reduces weight..
Savoy cabbage is recommended for baby food. It will help the child to fight the loss of energy and avitominosis, will charge him with energy and good mood. For elderly people, the use of this vegetable will help clear blood vessels of cholesterol, strengthen the nervous system, and normalize blood sugar levels. Cabbage also benefits those who dream of losing weight. It contains substances that stimulate the breakdown of old fatty deposits..
Cabbage contains ascobrigen. Scientifically proven that this substance prevents the development of cancer.
The benefits of cabbage juice
The juice obtained from fresh cabbage leaves is distinguished by its beneficial properties. If you drink it in its pure form, you can cope with gastritis, characterized by low acidity of gastric juice.
The juice is widely used for the treatment of diseases of the oral cavity. It is mixed in equal proportions with water. The resulting liquid rinse your mouth with paradanthosis and stomatitis. He will help to cope with angina, as it has antiseptic properties.
Savoy cabbage juice has whitening and anti-aging properties. It is often used to make lotions and face creams. An excellent remedy for problem skin can be prepared by mixing 50 ml of juice, 25 ml of salicylic alcohol and 25 ml of pure water. The resulting composition wipe the face in the morning and before bedtime.
Sometimes eating savoy cabbage can negatively affect human health. Among the main contraindications are:
- Urolithiasis disease.
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, which are in the stage of exacerbation. This primarily concerns pancreatitis and peptic ulcer disease..
- Diseases of the thyroid gland.
- Arthritis, arthrosis.
- Under 8 months of age. Doctors advise to introduce small portions of cabbage into the baby’s diet only when he reaches one year of age. Otherwise, the risk of colic and bloating increases..
- Recovery period after surgery.
Savoy cabbage should be eaten in moderation. Large portions of raw vegetables provoke increased gas production and soreness in the intestines. And in combination with legumes or milk, a vegetable can have a negative effect on the performance of the liver..
How to choose healthy and tasty cabbage
There are a few basic rules to keep in mind when buying Savoy cabbage from a store:
- The heads of cabbage should not be too soft. They should only slightly squeeze when pressed by hand..
- It is better to acquire heads of cabbage that have the correct round shape.
- There should be no signs of spoilage and traces of pest infestation on cabbage.
- The leaves should be uniform in color. Depending on the variety, their shade varies from light to rich green..
Such cabbage can be easily grown in a summer cottage. It is frost-resistant, and therefore feels great in all regions of the European part of Russia. Caring for it is simple, it is enough to water it on time, protect it from weeds, loosen the soil around and feed it with organo-mineral fertilizers.
Experts have well studied the benefits and harms of savoy cabbage for humans. In the absence of contraindications, you need to eat it a couple of times a week. Better to stew it or steam it. So it will be as tasty and nutritious as possible..