We hide the unsightly places of the landscape under the curtains of periwinkle
Periwinkle (Latin Vinca) is a cute and original culture, often found in Russian gardens and not only. Periwinkle, planting and caring for which in the open field are simple and within the power of even not the most experienced flower growers, belongs to perennial evergreens.
The periwinkle is popularly called the magic flower or the flower of love. It is believed that this culture has magical properties – it has the power of love and wealth..
Periwinkle is a perennial plant. The ground cover culture is beautifully lined with a bright carpet in the flower beds. If you plant a periwinkle in a flower garden, then this will solve the problem with weeds. The plant grows rapidly, covering the ground. So the weeds don’t stand a chance.
Opposite leaves have a smooth, shiny surface. Even under a layer of snow, the leaves remain fresh and green, since periwinkle is an evergreen crop.
Single flowers are funnel-shaped. Colors: blue, blue, lilac. To date, breeders have bred many varieties with a variety of flower colors..
Planting and leaving
Planting and caring for periwinkle outdoors is not difficult. The culture is able to take root on absolutely any soil. A floral carpet on the slopes looks good. The plant can be planted both in sunny areas and in shady areas..
Since plants grow rapidly and strongly, they should be planted at a distance of at least 30 cm from each other..
The ideal soil option is permeable, nutrient-rich, loose and neutral. On such soil, periwinkle will grow better, and its flowering will be lush and bright, but the culture will take root on other soils.. It is very good to plant the plant next to fruit trees.
Caring for a culture is not a difficult task. However, you will need to follow a few simple rules:
- Periwinkle is a drought-resistant culture. Even in the very heat, you need to water the plant no more than once a week. Only in the initial stages of growth, periwinkle needs to be watered often..
- The crop is frost-resistant, so the plant can withstand the harshest winters. But still, it is recommended to cover the plants for the winter, because sometimes even the most frost-resistant varieties have shoots freezing..
- The flower can grow well without fertilizers, but for better development and flowering, it is recommended to feed the culture with mineral fertilizers and organic matter. The best top dressing is urea, humus and compost. It is especially good to feed periwinkle at the stage of budding and flowering.
- It is advisable to pinch periwinkle shoots for better tillering and beautiful flowering.
Planting periwinkle in open ground is possible in the Urals, Siberia and other regions, leaving there is not much different from the usual.
Growing from seeds
Seeds of periwinkle are rarely propagated, since the plant reproduces well by layering and cuttings.
For propagation by seeds you will need:
- Sowing is carried out in the spring..
- Seeds are deepened into boxes by no more than 2 cm.
- From above, the boxes must be covered with a cloth or film of a dark color so that the light does not pass through.
- The optimum temperature for keeping crops is about 23 degrees.
- After that shoots are formed, crops must be exposed to light..
- It is necessary to dive seedlings after the formation of 2 pairs of leaves.
When to plant periwinkle outdoors? Seedlings are planted in open ground after the end of frost – in May or June.
Planting periwinkle seeds in open ground is possible in regions with a warm climate.
The most popular varieties of culture include the following:
- Large is a species whose height does not exceed 25 cm. It blooms twice a year – in spring and autumn. Differs in larger sizes of leathery leaves. Flower color – blue.
- Herbaceous is another variety with small, bright light green leaves. The color of the flowers is blue. The species is characterized by low resistance to frost, therefore it needs good shelter..
- Small is a perennial variety. Differs in small sizes of bluish flowers. The leaves are bright green, elliptical in shape. Shoot length – up to 1 meter.
- Pink is one of the few indoor species. Differs in delicate pink color of flowers. The height of the culture is up to 60 cm.The flowers have a diameter of about 4 cm.This species is also called quarantine.
- Variegated – spectacular, bright appearance. The culture is growing rapidly and strongly. The color of the leaves is green with a pale yellow border and numerous blotches. Planting and caring for variegated periwinkle outdoors is no different.
Use in landscape design
The culture is actively used by landscape designers to create a variety of compositions. The culture is grown in flower beds, ridges. Also, the plant is a great option for alpine peas, rocky gardens.
Periwinkle partners can be:
A spectacular periwinkle flower, planting and caring for which in the open field is distinguished by its simplicity, is successfully used in floriculture and landscape design in different climatic zones. This unpretentious culture will decorate the garden with a beautiful flower carpet, hide the unsightly places of the site under its cover, and in late autumn, in winter and early spring, it will delight the eye with its fresh greenery..