Interesting ideas for arranging a dressing room
For most people, a dressing room is no longer a distant dream. Nowadays, this is a mandatory attribute of a comfortable house or apartment. Because it is much more convenient to store clothes, shoes and accessories not in cramped closets or dressers, but in convenient and multifunctional rooms..
The shelves and cabinets in this room are installed in accordance with the principles of ergonomics. And even if you want to make a dressing room in a small room, you can organize the space so that it is convenient to place a large number of things..
Dressing room dimensions
The optimal room for a dressing room is a space without protrusions, with no more than four corners. Its area must be at least 3 m², and the length of one wall must be at least 2 m.
The ideal option for a small apartment is a dressing room 2 by 2 m. Under such conditions, dressing systems can be positioned with the letter “P”, where shelves and compartments are placed along the perimeter of 3 walls. It is best to install the system in a small room with the letter “G”.
If you know the exact number of cabinets, then you can easily calculate the area of the room. Before making a dressing room, you first need to count the number of sections along the length and multiply by their width (as a rule, the width of one compartment is 50, 75 or 100 cm). This will be the length of the dressing room. Now you need to estimate the depth of the cabinets, multiply it by 2 (taking into account the drawers) and add the distance for the passage (minimum – 50 cm, optimal – 80-100 cm). This will be the width of the dressing room, in which the cabinets are located along the length of one wall..
The optimal size of the do-it-yourself wardrobe system, which guarantees the greatest comfort, is 3.5-5 m². It should be borne in mind that 1.5 m² must be allocated for changing clothes. Such dimensions allow you to install not only cabinets, but also hang a mirror or arrange ottomans for convenience..
An important condition for any dressing room is ventilation. It can be equipped in two ways:
- In a closed room without windows, you need to install an extractor hood with a fan, which should go into the general ventilation system. It will reduce humidity and prevent odors, especially from shoes and outerwear..
- If there are windows, it is sufficient to periodically ventilate the room. But there may be a problem with the sun’s rays, which spoil the clothes. To prevent this from happening, you need to hang a curtain or blinds on the windows..
You can install special ventilation in closets with outerwear and shoes. And for good ventilation of things, purchase mesh baskets and honeycomb shelves.
At the planning stage of the dressing room, you need to immediately provide for the lighting of the room, which will help you easily and quickly choose the right clothes:
- The most common option is lighting with ceiling lights aimed at the shelves of the cabinets..
- It is very convenient to highlight the contents of shelves, baskets and drawers. In this case, the luminaires can be fixed on brackets or installed inside.
- In corner systems, luminaires on clothespins look interesting, which allow you to change the angle of inclination of the lighting..
- When arranging a spacious dressing room, as in the photo, you can install a hanging lamp.
- In a small room, it is better not to overload the space. It is better to install automatic lighting here, which will turn on when the door is opened..
Sometimes halogen or fluorescent lamps are used in the dressing room, in which the light is as close to natural as possible. However, it is not recommended to install them near clothing because they get very hot. It is best to use LED spotlights for lighting..
Location of the dressing room
You can equip a comfortable dressing room with your own hands, as in the photo, in the following ways:
- allocate a separate room;
- make from drywall in the bedroom or hallway;
- remodel the pantry;
- place in a niche;
- install an open system;
- use the corner of the room;
- use a balcony or loggia.
The dressing room can be made with drywall using the built-in storage system. It can be covered with curtains or sliding doors.
The pantry is the most convenient option for equipping a dressing room with your own hands. You don’t have to work hard on the furnishings. You can simply remove all unnecessary from it, make a small or full repair. It is only necessary to plan the sections and purchase the constituent elements of the dressing room. Then install them and enjoy the result of your work.
A niche can serve as a place for a dressing room. Here, it is better to place the sections along the wall..
In the absence of the necessary space, you can equip an open wardrobe system with your own hands, as in the photo, with many hangers, shelves, shoe sections and drawers. Here you should hang a mirror, put an ottoman or a chair. This is the best solution for an apartment with a small area. However, there is one drawback in it – you will have to monitor cleanliness and order all the time..
By using the corner of the room, you can equip a corner dressing room. It is more capacious and has more storage compartments. In the bedroom, a corner is freed up by installing the bed diagonally. Excellent space saving results.
A loggia or balcony may also be suitable for a dressing room. The main thing is your imagination. For a small room, a mini-dressing room would be a good option, where only the most necessary things will be located..
The design of the dressing room must necessarily match the interior of the room. This condition also applies to the color and texture of furniture..
How to choose doors
When choosing doors, you need to understand that door systems are installed when the dressing room is separate. If part of the room is allocated for it, then it is better to install a partition.
Doors must be in harmony with the general interior of an apartment or room, otherwise they will look incongruous and alien.
When choosing doors for a dressing room, you need to be guided not only by the preferences of family members, but also take into account the area of the room, as well as the functionality of the system itself. What options for door structures can be mounted:
- Swing. The classic version that has been used for several centuries in a row. For a dressing room, such doors are good because they provide a complete overview of the interior space. These models serve for a long time, are not as susceptible to breakdowns as rail mechanisms. In addition, these doors are much cheaper to install. The disadvantage is the following – they require a lot of space. In addition, fans of original design do not like their simplicity..
- Sliding. They are similar to those used for wardrobes. This design helps to save space as much as possible, making it suitable for a small area..
- Foldable. They are used if the owners want to keep expensive laminate and parquet flooring in perfect condition. The doors of these structures do not touch the floor. The guide mechanism is fixed to the ceiling or roof slab. In the places of folds of the sashes, ordinary door hinges are attached.
- Curtains. The simplest option is fabric canvases that are suspended from the cornice. They are quickly installed, can be easily washed if necessary, and have an elegant appearance. In addition, their price is lower than that of other types of doors..
Arrangement of a dressing room
When arranging a dressing room, you can fantasize endlessly. But you need to take into account a few proven tips. After all, a properly equipped internal space will make it really useful and will allow you to keep all things clean and tidy:
- It is advisable to divide the space according to gender into the female half and the male.
- If necessary, you can provide individual racks for family members, but this condition is not necessary..
- Shoes are best placed at the bottom, on open shelves. To do this, you can use retractable structures..
- It will be more practical to equip a compartment for outerwear next to the shoe section..
- Above this compartment, it is best to place a shelf for hats..
- Blocks with hangers and shelves are best placed separately.
- It is more convenient to store clothes and items that are rarely used in the upper part..
You can fill the dressing room in accordance with the color of things. Place light clothes in one part of the room, and place dark clothes in another..
How to fill correctly?
Filling a dressing room is a real creative process. If the size of the room is small, it is necessary to use the entire existing space from floor to ceiling and from one corner to another. This tactic will allow you to place all things, bedding and other accessories in it. In the process, you need to pay special attention to the functionality of the shelving and the availability of each item..
Filling the dressing room most often includes:
- hangers for ties, suits, dresses, belts, belts, shirts;
- holders for trousers;
- shelves for organizers with accessories and bags;
- compartments for towels and bed linen.
- sections for shoes;
- baskets or boxes for linen, tights and socks.
If possible, the dressing room can be supplemented with an ottoman, a mirror and a dressing table. If each thing has its own place, then the dressing room will become a beautiful and practical room..
Convenient storage systems
In addition to the usual shelves and drawers, today in stores there are a huge number of other devices that can help in equipping this room. You can also turn on imagination and make an original do-it-yourself storage system in the dressing room:
- The lady of the house. Such a life-saving organizer will appeal not only to men, but also to business women who wear pantsuits. On sale there are longitudinal storage systems attached to the wall and retractable trousers equipped with transverse bars. They have separate holders for each pair of trousers that prevent them from slipping.
- Pull-out shelves. These shelves are very easy to use. They slide out easily, providing a good overview and access to things. In addition, they can have internal organizers..
- Holders for ties, belts, shawls, scarves. They can be used to save space. These devices can be rectangular and round, with a stationary and retractable device..
- Compact ironing board. For many people, a compact built-in ironing board will be a treasure trove. It takes up very little space and does not interfere with going to the shelves.
- Containers. These specific but very useful systems are perfect for storing dust-sensitive garments. For example, hats or other items that need gentle care. These containers are mainly made from clear plastic and organic glass.
- Dirty laundry basket. As a rule, they dress and undress in the dressing room. Often things need to be sent directly to the wash, but it is not always possible to immediately take them to the bath. For this, special textile bags on a metal frame are used, which function according to the principle of drawers. To avoid the appearance of odors, they are provided with an internal ventilation system and the presence of aromatic bags.
- Furniture lift pantograph. It is a combination of rods and a lifting device that allows you to store items directly under the ceiling. Therefore, with it you can significantly save space. If necessary, you can lower it, take the thing you need and return it back..
- Metal baskets. These storage devices are often used alongside traditional shelves and drawers. They have several advantages – the aluminum frame is much lighter than the wooden elements, and the mesh structure prevents dust accumulation. At the same time, the capacity of metal baskets is not less, and sometimes even more, than that of wooden boxes..
- Shoe rack. This is usually an open, slightly tilted shelf with shoe holders. This design provides good ventilation, while the shoes are always in sight. Most often, shoe racks are placed in the lower sections, thanks to which the space is used more effectively..
- Drawers with dividers. Such a convenient organizer helps to keep in order women’s bracelets, men’s ties, twisted belts and belts, jewelry, watches.
How to make a practical dressing room with your own hands?
The dressing room is a specific room in the apartment, which must necessarily meet all the requirements for the correct storage of clothes. How to make a dressing room with your own hands?
First, you need to consider the issues that are associated with planning a dressing room. Most often it is individual, but there are also some standard parameters:
- the height of the section for heavy outerwear should be at least 150 cm from the bottom to the bar. And the gap from the bar to the overlap at the top is not less than 10 cm;
- the height of the section in which the light short outerwear will be placed must be at least 100 cm to the bar, plus 10 cm from the bar to the overlap;
- the height of the shelves for hats or shoes should be determined in accordance with the tallest wardrobe item, add another 5-10 cm to this value;
- the height of the linen shelves should be about 25-45 cm.
To determine the optimal depth of the compartments, they most often use the following principle – you need to measure the widest hanger and add another 10-20 cm to this value.
As for the width, it can be determined in the following way:
- 15-25 cm must be taken into account for each piece of warm outerwear;
- 10-15 cm is taken for each piece of demi-season outerwear;
- 5-10 cm should be taken for each dress, trousers or shirt;
- the width of the sections for underwear and hats is selected in accordance with the number of these items, plus a small margin is added.
Before making a dressing room, you need to choose the right materials. For arranging the walls, you can use drywall, which best suits the storage conditions for outer and light clothing, shoes and hats..
You can also use wood materials. It will absorb excess moisture, and gradually give it back in the required amount..
Below in the photo you can see what a do-it-yourself dressing room looks like in a small room:
Having decided on the material, you need to mark and cut the blanks. And then proceed with the installation of the frame using self-tapping screws and a screwdriver. The finished frame is sheathed with plasterboard and prepared for finishing.
The simplest method of finishing drywall is wallpapering. However, decorative panels can be used if desired..
The most durable finishing option is painting the walls, but before that you need to putty and sand the surface well..
Making a high-quality wardrobe system inexpensively with your own hands is extremely simple. The frame is made from profiles fixed to the wall, and the shelves can be built from ordinary dark laminate. A net for storing shoes is fixed on metal struts. The hanger bars can also be attached to metal braces. Shelf laminate flooring is cut to size, cut and installed in the system.
For inspiration, we suggest you look at the most interesting wardrobe options:
Installation of a mesh wardrobe system – video