How to sheathe a balcony inside and outside – we make the right choice
How to sheathe a balcony from the outside and inside. Is it possible in this case to use the same materials. The article gives recommendations on the use of different materials for cladding the inside of the balcony and the outside. The question is being considered, what is the best way to finish the balcony with plastic or wood. Many will be interested in the recommendations of specialists.
Requirements for finishing the balcony from the inside
We will highlight, perhaps, the main requirements that are most common:
- Durability. I don’t want to do cosmetic repairs every three years. It is advisable not to return to this question for 10 years..
- The materials for cladding the inner side of the balcony should be practical: do not absorb dirt like a sponge and easy to clean.
- After arranging the balcony, it should not turn into a graveyard of used and unnecessary things. Its purpose is to expand the recreation area for all family members..
- Last but not least is the attractiveness of the interior of the non-residential area..
- Installation of structures should be easy and accessible for independent work.
- Possibility of prompt replacement of the damaged area.
Often in the first place when choosing a material, they put its cost. Based on this, they choose the types of finishes. Gathering together all the requirements, then we will find out how the balcony is sheathed inside, we will consider the most acceptable installation methods.
Sheathing of the inner space of the balcony with wood
For the most part, many people prefer to use environmentally friendly material – wood.
The most common materials in this class are lining and eurolining. A balcony lined with wood is attractiveness, ease of installation, practicality and maintainability.
The material imitating timber, block house is gaining popularity. There are examples of sheltering an internal non-residential space with a terrace or ordinary planed board..
Natural wood purchased must be dry. Otherwise, after installation, it may lead, which will inevitably lead to alteration of the installed structure.
When choosing this or that material, you need to remember that there is a difference in fastening. So to fix the lining and its subspecies, a lock is used: a thorn-groove. This is a great fixing option without leaving gaps..
Using the material in question, we get a durable structure that, with proper care, can serve for more than a dozen years..
Renew the protective coating of the material once every three years. If you ignore this process, the wood will eventually lose its attractiveness and may even collapse..
Depending on what type of material was involved, we can talk about its practicality. It is important to choose a product already covered with a protective film against dirt. It can be varnish or polymer material.. In this case, the maintenance of the fiberboard will be easy. If there is no protection, a problem arises: dirt may appear, which is difficult to remove.
In terms of attractiveness, not every material can compete with wood. Considering wood from the point of view of installation, it cannot be said that the process will take a minimum of time, but the work is considered not difficult. It is necessary at the initial stage to assemble the frame (crate), then attach the boards to it. Wood and its components are considered suitable for subsequent repairs. The structure, if necessary, is easy to disassemble and also easy to assemble.
In regions where wood is expensive, craftsmen prefer to use lining or euro / material as a working material. But there are other products that are suitable for the interior arrangement of a non-residential area..
Using plastic for sheathing the inside of the balcony
Thinking about the best way to sheathe a balcony inside, pay attention to the plastic PVC panels, which are presented in a wide range in the retail network. They are produced in different widths and fit together like a lining: a similar type of lock is used. The plastic panels have no seam. The consumer is presented with a choice of colors and patterns. Speaking about the requirements for the material in question, it should be noted its durability. The operational period of PVC is from 8 to 10 years. It is easy to look after him. It is enough to wash with soapy water and wipe with a sponge or cloth. When decorating a balcony with plastic material, it will always look attractive, the design can be in any style and in a variety of colors..
The assembly of the structure is simple, similar to the fastening of the lining. A frame is installed to which the panels are nailed. When replacing one of the sections, there will be no problems. The same replacement scheme applies as with the clapboard.
You need to stock up on a repair kit. If you buy a new material, there may be a color mismatch..
Experts recommend not throwing away the plastic after repairs, but leaving a certain margin to replace the problem area in the future. The lining has one significant drawback: it can be easily broken.
There is no unequivocal answer to the question which is better for a MDF or PVC balcony. If finances allow, and natural material is more attractive to you, you can opt for lining. If you want to get a neat cladding and spend a minimum of money, time – it is optimal to use PVC panels.
There are several types of panels made from MDF (fiberboard). These are flat structures covered with polymer, embossed elements with a printed pattern and panels with wood veneer.
MDF, as a material for cladding a balcony inside, has a number of positive properties:
- ease of installation;
- ease of maintenance;
- for the arrangement there is no need for preliminary preparation;
- if desired, the balcony can be insulated by laying heat-insulating material under the structure;
- a large selection of textures and colors.
The disadvantages include the low resistance of the material to moisture. Therefore, it is possible to sheathe a non-residential area of MDF if it is heated..
Modern plasterboard material
In recent years, it has become a tradition to use drywall not only for repairs inside living quarters, but also to equip non-residential areas..
Working with this material for leveling walls involves a “wet process” and finishing (plaster), which is not good for everyone. There are a number of finishing requirements, which include:
- Durability. The structure can last from 7 to 10 years. An important issue is a perfectly flat surface when using drywall. It is interesting that you can regularly change the color of the finished product, periodically paint the material we are considering. Many consider this a disadvantage..
- Practicality. High quality paint can be periodically wiped clean with a damp sponge.
- Attractiveness. Plasterboard balcony cladding is an average level of repair. With the help of drywall, you can create an interesting and unique design and / or an absolutely neutral surface: there would be a desire.
- Ease of installation. The structure is easy to assemble: reception of the frame base. The only thing that delays the process is the plastering of the working surface..
- A few words about the possibility of repair. The repair is not as easy as using the previously described materials. We’ll have to repaint the updated part. But everything can be corrected if desired and the availability of material.
The use of ceramic tiles for arranging the interior of a non-residential area
How to veneer the balcony from the inside? Many people prefer facing tiles, considering it a reliable and durable material. It is difficult to disagree with this. It is important that the tiles can be laid in a heated and unheated area..
When choosing a facing tile, pay attention to its type. It can be a regular or frost-resistant product..
The positive properties of facing tiles include:
- Stable resistance to moisture and t0 drops.
- Wide range of textures and colors.
- Fireproof material.
- There are no complaints about it in terms of ecology.
In terms of disadvantages, we can talk about high cost. Therefore, the tile, for the most part, is used for finishing the floor of a non-residential area, less often walls are faced with it, which must be prepared in advance. How to sheathe the balcony from the inside, what materials are still suitable? Alternatively, you can use sandwich panels.
The use of sandwich panels for interior decoration of the balcony
When equipping a loggia and / or a balcony, there are options for using sandwich panels as a finishing material. This is a structure consisting of two PVC panels, between which there is a heat-insulating layer. A number of positive properties can be distinguished:
- High thermal insulation qualities.
- Resistance to damage: mechanical impact.
- The product copes well with moisture and is resistant to t0 drops.
- Panels do not fade in direct sunlight.
There are also disadvantages that need to be discussed and taken into account:
- High material price.
- Installation problems in confined spaces. After all, the dimensions of sandwich panels are 3×1.5 meters.
A little about other materials
Today, many are attracted by the exotic. Balconies are sheathed with bamboo, cork, mat. In the arrangement, you can use a braid. But the use of these materials is associated with leveling the walls with plaster. And this is phlegm, dirt, which is not to everyone’s liking. But you can’t do without it. When the surface is even and dry, finishing elements are planted on it, using glue for this. Decorating a non-residential area with bamboo or cork can be considered an unconventional solution for most of our regions. But, in its finished form, the balcony looks 100%: this is beauty and not a stereotyped decision.
Having figured out how to sheathe the balcony inside, and what materials are most suitable for this, you can move on to the issue of work on the outside of the protruding structure.
How to sheathe a balcony from the outside
What is the best way to sheathe a balcony outside, what materials are traditionally used? Today, siding panels are actively used for facing the balcony from the outside. The material is considered durable and quickly assembled. They are often treated with a non-residential area inside. It is relevant for open spaces and unheated areas. What attracts vinyl siding, what positive qualities of the product can you highlight? It:
- The ability to actively resist any kind of negative atmospheric influences.
- There is a wide range of all kinds of shades and combinations..
- No environmental claims.
- The structure can be additionally insulated.
- You can work with this material all year round. There are no restrictions and separate recommendations for its installation.
- The cladding technology is very simple.
- In the finished structure, damaged elements are easy to replace.
It is important that the material has practically no drawbacks. The only thing you need to pay attention to is the high cost of working material.. And the possibility of replacing it is a cheaper option: plastic panels.
Facade processing with wood
Houses can be built from wood, so why not use this material to decorate the facade of the balcony? The facade will look attractive, but you should be aware that wood requires regular maintenance. Otherwise, after a while the shine will go away.
Only an unpresentable look will remain. Therefore, during installation, the wood should be treated with an antiseptic and other compounds for outdoor use..
Processing of wooden structures is carried out immediately before installation. It is important to pay special attention to the processing of the ends of the sawn boards..
And if the balcony is without glazing, what materials are suitable
Let’s make a reservation right away that the non-glazed part is exposed to the same negative attacks as the facade of the building. Therefore, when choosing a material, it is necessary to focus on materials that are traditionally used for the exterior decoration of the house. This could be:
- Vinyl siding, either basement or metal option.
- A decorative decorative stone is often used..
- There are options for processing with ceramics or granite.
- The traditional option is used: plaster on the outside of the building.
- Many are attracted by the processing of the facade with an environmentally friendly product – wood.
- It is possible to sheathe the balcony outside and inside with ceramic frost-resistant tiles.
Today, polycarbonate is in favor, which, in combination with the wrought-iron fence of the balcony, looks rich and attractive. On such a balcony, you must always observe the perfect order..
The question remains, how to sheathe the balcony ceiling and floor
It is considered to be the most acceptable option, to use the material with which the walls are lined. The ceiling can be made of plasterboard. You need to understand that we are talking about the glazed part of the non-residential area. If the loggia or balcony is not glazed, most often the ceiling is sheathed with siding. Its attractiveness lies in its low price and ease of installation. When considering flooring options, there are no specific recommendations. It can be traditional wood, tiles. Today, many, wondering how to close the bottom of the balcony, are increasingly using porcelain stoneware. The material is durable, easy to assemble. Processing does not take much time and effort. It all depends on the taste of the client, his desires and financial capabilities..
Now we know how to inexpensively finish a balcony from the outside, as well as inside, and get a high end result at the same time..
So, the arrangement of a turnkey balcony can be divided into two components:
- internal work;
- arrangement of the outer side of the balcony.
We figured out the best way to finish the balcony with plastic or wood. We found out the differences between MDF and PVC finishes. You need to understand that the options described are only a small part of the materials used. Therefore, we have a wide field of activity where you can combine and create your own style.