How to use Levamisole for animals correctly
Levamisole for animals is an effective anthelmintic drug for the treatment of nematodes in farm animals. The drug belongs to the group of imidazoles and has a wide spectrum of nematicidal action. Levamisole is actively used in the field of culinary due to its high efficiency without special diets and laxatives, ease of dosage and fast action against all types of nematodes.
Release form and composition of the drug
Levamisole refers to anthelmintic drugs from the imidazole group. The main active ingredient in Levamisole for animals is levamisole hydrochloride. It is a white or light pink powder, which is a biologically active derivative of tetramisole. The active ingredient is highly soluble in water and alkaline solutions.
The medicine is available in several pharmacological forms:
- tablets of 0.05 and 0.15 g – used to treat helminthiasis in humans;
- sterile solution 10% for injection – used in veterinary practice;
- powder for making solution for injection.
Levamisole sterile solution is the most popular and convenient form of release. The medicine is packaged in 50 ml glass vials with aluminum caps, 1 ml of solution contains 75 mg of the main active substance levamisole.
As auxiliary components, the preparation contains calcium hydrogen phosphate, colloidal silicon dioxide, magnesium stearate, starch, lactose and talc..
Levamisole for animals – principle of action
The pharmacological efficacy of Levamisole is due to the action of its active substance, levamisole hydrochloride. It actively affects roundworms, toxoplasma, hookworms and other round helminths.
The pharmacological preparation is highly effective in relation to the larval and sexually mature phases of development of nematodes affecting the lungs, gastrointestinal tract and other internal organs.
Levamisole acts directly on the neuromuscular system in the nematode’s body, inhibiting the activity of enzymes. It blocks all the nerve nodes in the body of the parasite, causing paralysis of the muscle corset.
The drug has a quick effect. From the moment of injection, the maximum concentration of the active substance is observed after 30-40 minutes, and no more than 5-6 hours pass until the complete death of the helminths. Within 24 hours after injection, the parasites are naturally excreted from the animal’s body. With diseases of the digestive system or impaired intestinal motility, this process may be longer.
Taking Levamisole for animals has not only anthelmintic, but also immunomodulatory effects. This drug stimulates cellular defenses and immune processes in the body, activating the production of immune cells of various types.
Indications for use
Levamisole is used in veterinary practice to treat parasitic infestations of cattle, goats, sheep and poultry.
The main indications for the use of the drug:
Levamisole for cats and dogs is prescribed for toxocariasis, hookworm disease, uncinariosis, toxascariasis.
Levamisole exhibits high anthelmintic effectiveness without preliminary preparation of the animal – without fasting, as well as the use of laxatives. The drug is administered subcutaneously. To obtain the required therapeutic effect, a single administration of the drug is sufficient. In some cases, according to the decision of the veterinarian, Levamisole is administered intramuscularly to small and large livestock.
The dosage of the anthelmintic drug is selected individually, depending on the animals:
- Cows and bulls – 1.5 ml per 20 kg of body weight, but not more than 22.5 ml for livestock over 300 kg. The drug is administered to the animal intramuscularly in the area of the shoulder blades, once.
- Goats and sheep – 0.75 ml for every 10 kg, most often Levamisole is injected under the skin in the area of the scapula.
- Pigs – the medicine is given intramuscularly in a proportion of 0.75 ml per 10 kg. For pigs weighing more than 150 kg, a dosage of 7 ml per 100 kg is used.
- Rabbits and dogs – the dosage of Levamisole for rabbits and dogs is 0.75 ml per 10 kg of body weight. The drug is given once, intramuscularly or orally with food or drink. A similar dosage is used in the treatment of helminthic diseases in cats..
- Chickens, geese, ducks and turkeys – 1.5-2 ml per 5 kg of body weight. The drug is given to birds once, or the required dosage is divided into several doses. Levamisole is given to birds for 3-5 days..
Levamisole for pigeons is used in a dosage of 1 ml per 200 ml of water. This solution is used for drinking pigeons for 4-5 days. During treatment, they should not be given any other drink..
The average dosage of Levamisole is 0.5 ml of solution for every 5 kg of body weight of the animal. At the same time, the maximum allowable rate is 30 ml for cows and bulls, 20 ml for pigs, 4-4.5 ml for sheep..
Features and rules of application
Levamisole belongs to moderately toxic drugs. With strict adherence to the instructions for use of Levamisole and dosage for pigs and other farm animals and birds, the drug is well tolerated by the body and does not have a local irritating, teratogenic, embryotoxic and sensitizing effect.
Basic rules for the use of Levamisole:
- In the case of mass anthelmintic treatment of farm animals, it is necessary to pre-test the drug on a group consisting of 7-10 animals. For 3 days, it is necessary to carefully observe the behavior and well-being of the experimental group. In the absence of any side effects and negative manifestations, injections are administered to the rest of the livestock.
- Slaughter of farm animals for meat is allowed no earlier than 7 days after the last injection of Levamisole.
- It is recommended to eat cow’s milk and chicken eggs only 4 days after the last injection of the anthelmintic drug..
- Levamisole is forbidden to use for the treatment of females during pregnancy..
- The drug should not be used to treat emaciated and weakened animals, as well as during the recovery period after surgery or serious illness. The injection can only be done after the animal has fully recovered..
Levamisole is an effective and fast-acting anthelmintic drug used in veterinary medicine. Due to the wide spectrum of nematicidal action, the agent is used to treat cattle and small ruminants, sheep, pigs, birds, dogs and cats from various parasitic invasions. If the correct dosage is observed, Levamisole does not have a toxic effect on the animal’s body and does not cause side effects.