Eggplants with red, white or green beans for the winter: recipes and cooking secrets
With all the variety of possible seaming, eggplants with beans for the winter remain perhaps the most famous and delicious canned salad. The secret of success is simple: these vegetables really go well with each other in taste, and each ingredient individually is liked by many – of course, with the right preparation..
In cookbooks or on thematic sites, you can find a huge number of different recipes from eggplant and beans – each housewife skillfully supplements or changes the usual recipe.
Today we will talk about the key nuances regarding the choice of vegetables for harvesting, their preliminary preparation, and also provide the best options for salad with eggplants and beans for the winter..
Selection of vegetables
The selection of high-quality eggplants deserves special attention: spoiled fruit can ruin even a perfectly cooked dish. When buying, you should look primarily at:
- Colour. Eggplants, which have a pale appearance – are overripe, will taste “cottony”, so it is better to bypass them. The darkest color indicates that the eggplant is young, and you can safely choose it.
- Own tactile sensations. If you run your hand over the peel and there are no marks on the eggplant and your fingers are clean, everything is in order. In the event that the surface is sticky or, after being easily squeezed, the fruit changes shape, you should refuse to buy – with such vegetables, eggplant and beans for the winter will not work..
- Visible damage. The most difficult task: with a dark color, it is quite difficult to see spots, but if you managed to notice them, put aside such a fruit.
- Peduncle. The “tail” should look fresh – in this case, you can be sure that the eggplant is fresh.
Preference should be given to those eggplants, the peel of which is shiny, and the size of the fruit itself will not be too large.
As for beans, the situation is somewhat simpler: red and white beans should be smooth, easy to sleep and not have visible damage. If you are going to cook green beans with eggplant, then they must be strong and tight..
Preparing eggplants and beans
Preserving eggplants with beans requires a small preparatory step to improve the taste of the finished dish and simplify the cooking process..
Whichever type of beans you choose for cooking eggplant with beans for the winter – red, white or green beans – it should be soaked.
Soaking beans not only speeds up their cooking, but also has a positive effect on the digestion of this product by the body..
Green beans are usually enough to lie in water for a couple of hours, but white and red beans need much more time – ideally, leave them overnight, for 12 hours. The water should completely cover the beans, but it is better to add it a couple of centimeters higher so that the swollen product “feels” free.
The only downside to eggplant is that it can sometimes taste bitter. To avoid such an unpleasant aftertaste, it is only worth soaking the chopped fruits in water with salt for 15-20 minutes.
Also, questions can be raised by the peel: to remove it from the eggplant or not? If the peel is clean and shiny, and the fruit is fresh, then it is quite possible to leave it – by the way, this way it will not turn into porridge. If the peel is in doubt, or you are used to mashed potatoes, then arm yourself with a knife and peel off the peel.
Eggplant for the winter: recipes for salads with beans
It has already been said above that recipes for cooking eggplants with beans for the winter are a favorite topic of many housewives. But it should be said separately about the differences between white and red beans in recipes..
White bean salads are usually the more common recipe, and by default this is what they mean when they write a recipe. However, red beans with eggplant have a brighter and stronger flavor. In fact, combining eggplant with this kind of beans is a lobio recipe, and if you add nuts, then you get exactly that. White beans are much softer and more tender..
Eggplant with beans and vegetables
Supplementing with a wide variety of vegetables is often found in recipes. Best of all with eggplants and beans “talk” carrots, onions and garlic, as well as sweet bell peppers.
Six liter cans will require:
- 2 kg eggplant;
- 1 kg of carrots;
- 1 kg of onions;
- 0.7 kg of beans;
- 2 liters of tomato juice;
- a few cloves of garlic;
- vinegar 9% – 1 st;
- salt – 3 tbsp. l;
- sunflower oil – zoo ml;
- sugar – 2 tbsp. l.
If tomato juice is not at hand, then you can replace it with tomato paste mixed with water in a 1: 2 ratio.
- Beans need to be boiled.
- Pour the tomato juice into a large saucepan and immediately add the carrots and onions. Onions are cut in half rings, and carrots are rubbed on a coarse grater.
- After 20-30 minutes, add the pre-soaked eggplant.
- Add pepper, salt and sugar, stir and leave to simmer for about an hour; an hour after cooking, add 50-70 g of vinegar, garlic and boiled beans to the mass, and leave on low heat for 15 minutes.
- Ready eggplants with beans and vegetables for the winter are laid out in sterilized jars.
Eggplant with green beans
Green beans with eggplant is a very original salad. The main role in the dish is played by a combination of spices and herbs, so you should not deviate from the initial recipe..
For one serving of salad you will need:
- two eggplants;
- 300 g green beans;
- one medium carrot;
- black pepper.
- Vegetables are cut: carrots – in rounds, eggplants – in cubes, long beans are divided into small pieces.
- Vegetables are sent to a deep saucepan with salted water for an hour and a half.
- Black pepper, basil, dill and garlic are added ten to fifteen minutes until tender.
- Ready vegetables are laid out in sterilized jars.
Please note: this recipe for eggplant with beans for the winter is easy to turn into a delicious mashed potatoes – you just need to break the ready-made vegetables in a blender, and also roll up in jars.