Date syrup: useful properties, method of application, calorie content
Date syrup is known in European, Arab, Asian countries. It is called silane in Israel, doshab in Armenia, pekmez in Turkey, sharab in Egypt and Pakistan. A healthy dessert is prepared on the basis of natural dates, comparing its properties with bee honey. The product contains beneficial nutrients, amino acids, and antioxidants. Reception of the syrup is useful for dietary, sports nutrition, it can be used by pregnant women, weakened during illness, children to prevent diseases and increase immunity. However, excessive consumption can lead to negative consequences..
Date syrup fully retains the vitamin composition of the fruit from which it is extracted. At the same time, its calorie content is slightly lower: in dried dates there are 274 kcal, in pekmez – 271 kcal..
What date syrup is made of
Energy value per 100 g of product is:
- carbohydrates – 57 g;
- fats – 0.5 g;
- proteins – 1.1 g.
The high level of carbohydrates is associated with the presence of glucose and fructose in the composition, which allows the product to be used as a natural substitute for sugar in desserts and drinks.
Natural Pekmez contains the following nutrients:
|Vitamins||retinol, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, pyridoxine, thiamine, folacin;|
|Minerals||iron, zinc, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, cadmium, sulfur, copper, boron, selenium, calcium;|
|Other||pectin, dietary fiber|
When choosing a finished product in a store, it is advisable to pay attention to the composition indicated on the label and make sure that there are no sweeteners, preservatives and flavors. Natural syrup has a viscous consistency that forms a continuous thread when poured. The smell is pronounced (pleasant, fruity). Color can range from reddish brown to chocolate.
Useful properties and contraindications
Date syrup, the calorie content of which is quite high, is recommended to be included in the diet. A similar paradox is associated with a small daily allowance that can be consumed (no more than 25 ml).
The product contributes to weight loss due to the following beneficial properties:
- acceleration of metabolic processes in cells;
- replenishment of energy reserves;
- removing unnecessary body fluids.
By adding syrup to rolled oats, cottage cheese and tea, athletes eliminate artificial sugar from their diet, and also receive the following benefits:
- improved heart function;
- strengthening physical health and endurance;
- decrease in nervousness, increased aggressiveness;
- acceleration of muscle mass gain.
Children and expectant mothers are offered a little natural dessert, observing the manifestation of possible allergic reactions.
With normal assimilation, the following effect is observed:
- normalization of the course of pregnancy;
- timely appearance of the fetus during childbirth;
- general strengthening of the protective properties of the immune system;
- prevention of caries and improvement of gum health;
- an increase in the number of blood cells and hemoglobin;
- increasing the body’s resistance to pathogenic bacteria, including Staphylococcus aureus.
Date pekmez is good for men as it is a natural aphrodisiac.
Experts insist that the use of date syrup, the benefits and harms of which directly depend on the daily rate, should be used in moderation..
With excessive enthusiasm, the product provokes the occurrence of the following diseases:
- gastrointestinal problems.
Date syrup, the glycemic index of which reaches a record 165 units, is contraindicated in progressive obesity, diabetes mellitus and intestinal dysfunction.
How to use date syrup
Saturated date syrup, the instructions for use of which are located directly on the label, can completely replace sugar.
Due to this, it is used in cooking in various ways:
- pouring pancakes, pancakes, muffins in the form of topping;
- added to baked goods (muffins, cookies);
- used instead of sugar during the preparation of tea, coffee, cocoa;
- served in the form of a sauce for ice cream;
- season with cottage cheese, oatmeal or semolina porridge for breakfast.
Since date syrup can be used not only for culinary, but also for medicinal purposes, it is actively included in the menu in the following cases:
- for colds, 1 tsp. add to morning hot tea (preferably chamomile, lime or thyme);
- as an antitussive agent add 2 tsp. a glass of hot milk;
- to increase immunity, take a drink from hot boiled water with the addition of 2 tbsp for two weeks every morning on an empty stomach. l. lemon juice and 2 tsp. syrup.
While taking pecmez for medicinal purposes, it is advisable to monitor your well-being.
With the appearance of a constant headache, nausea, dizziness, it is recommended to stop using the syrup. In case of acute manifestations of symptoms, accompanied by redness of the skin, rashes, it is advisable to go to the hospital, since there is a high likelihood of an allergic reaction.
If you cannot find ready-made syrup on sale, then you can make it at home from dried dates. This will require about 800 g of dried fruit and 2 liters of water. The cooking process takes about 3 hours..
- The bones are removed from the dates, the pulp is washed under running water and dried on a towel.
- Dried fruits are transferred to a metal bowl and poured with boiling water.
- Covering the container with a lid, the mixture is placed on minimum heat..
- Cook for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- The resulting liquid is poured through a sieve and boiled until thick for another 20 minutes.
- The cooled syrup is poured into a sterilized rolling jar, placed in the refrigerator for storage.