Popular pickled beetroot recipes
Since ancient times, everyone has known the beneficial properties of beets. In what forms it is not used! But whether it is raw, boiled, baked or pickled, beets are still a storehouse of healing qualities. The amount of vitamin stored during heat treatment can vary. But it only depends on the method and time of cooking beets..
Recipe for cooking pickled beets for the winter
As well as raw, pickled beets are added to the first courses (borscht, beetroot, cold beetroot), to various salads, dressings, second courses. It is used to prepare independent snacks, side dishes, served in its original form with herbs and spices.
For pickled beets you will need:
- 5 medium root vegetables;
- 1 large onion
- 100 g granulated sugar;
- 100 g of coarse salt;
- 0.5 l of water (for marinade);
- 100 ml of 9% vinegar;
- 2 bay leaves;
- 3 carnations;
- sweet peas.
- Rinse the beets thoroughly to remove dirt. Do not cut or peel off the skin, tails and do not make any cuts so that the juice does not come out.
- Boil water and put the roots in boiling water. Cook until tender 1-1.2 hours.
- Cool the finished beets by pouring cold water. Peel, cut into slices.
- Peel and cut onion into rings.
- Put beets and onions in layers in a jar, alternating them.
- Pour the marinade over hot.
Preparing the marinade:
- Pour 500 ml of water into a saucepan.
- Add spices, dissolve sugar and salt.
- Bring the spice marinade to a boil. Mix well and pour in vinegar.
If you pour vegetables with such a marinade and let them insist in a cool place for 1-2 days, you get ready-to-eat pickled beets without sterilization, which will retain the maximum benefits and vitamins. This workpiece should be stored in the refrigerator..
You can serve ready-made beets on sandwiches with a slice of fish, use to make vinaigrette, grind for sauces and pastes. If you fill the beets with vegetable oil, unsweetened yogurt, sour cream or homemade mayonnaise and sprinkle with herbs, sesame seeds or flaxseed, you get an easy, quick and healthy salad for a full snack..
How to pickle beets for the winter
For winter storage of pickled beets, vegetables should be laid out in a cleaned soda and sterilized container..
For sterilization you need:
- Boil water in a deep saucepan.
- Put a colander on top, and put the jars on it in turn, with the neck down. When water starts flowing along the walls, you can remove the container.
- Arrange vegetables in jars.
- Pour the spice marinade so that it completely covers the contents of the jar. Cover them lightly with the seaming caps.
- Take a towel, spread it on the bottom of a large saucepan, and put the jars with the contents on it so that they do not touch each other. Cover them with sterilized seaming caps.
- Pour the contents with hot water if the marinade jars are still hot, or cold water if the marinade is already cold.
- Bring water to a boil and “boil” the seaming for 15 minutes (if the cans are half-liter), 25 minutes (liter) and 35 minutes (3-liter).
- Carefully remove the cans, place them on a dry surface, close them with sterile lids and roll them up tightly with a key. Set the container upside down on a flat surface and wrap it with a rug or blanket. After the jars have cooled down, place them in a dark, cool storage room..
The temperature of the water to be poured should be practically the same as the temperature of the contents in the jars. Otherwise, the cans may burst from a sharp temperature drop..
Thus, you can marinate whole beets for the winter. For this, small roots are used, which will be conveniently placed in the narrow necks of cans and bottles. They are also boiled in a peel, but for a longer time, then peeled and poured with marinade. Whole pickled beets are convenient to use. It can be cut in any way you like – cubes, slices, rings, slices, straws.
Marinated beets in jars for the winter are a lifesaver when receiving unexpected guests, as a quick tasty snack, and in the process of preparing other various dishes.
Marinated beets can be hot, sweet, sour, spicy and even pungent. It is worth experimenting with adding sugar, vinegar and spices and the result is a completely new dish. To prepare sweet pickled beets, it is better to add honey instead of sugar to the marinade, as well as cinnamon, cardamom, lemon or orange zest. For a sour but milder taste, use lemon juice, rice vinegar, or apple cider vinegar. For spice, try adding ginger, garlic, chili, or mustard, depending on personal preference. If you want a spicier aroma, rosemary, coriander, cumin, basil, dill will help out.
Instant pickled beets
There are various methods and techniques for pickling beets. But in the busy rhythm of life, there is not always time for a long, careful and energy-intensive process..
For quick cooking of pickled beets you will need:
- for 1 kg of beets;
- 4-5 cloves of garlic;
- 150 ml of refined vegetable oil;
- 60 ml vinegar;
- a pinch of coriander, black and allspice (optional);
- 40 grams of salt;
- 80 g sugar.
- Peel raw beets and grate on a shredder (or cut into thin strips).
- Heat vegetable oil with spices.
- Mix grated beets with pressed garlic, salt and sugar.
- Pour in warm spicy oil.
- Add vinegar and mix thoroughly.
- Leave the beets to infuse at room temperature overnight. After – put in the refrigerator to infuse for 5-6 hours.
Pickled beets for the winter for storage in the refrigerator
For the preparation of pickled beets, it is usually pre-boiled. But there is another method of heat treatment that will preserve the maximum useful properties of the root crop. This is baking. The vegetable is peeled and cut into thin slices. At this time, you need to warm up the oven to 200 degrees. Cover a baking sheet with parchment and lay out the prepared slices. Top – lightly drizzle with vegetable oil and sprinkle with spices (pepper, rosemary, thyme). Do not salt! Otherwise, the salt will draw out all the moisture, resulting in beet chips. Bake for 15 minutes, remove from oven, cool.
It is better to marinate such a product with a mixture of lemon juice (0.5 lemon) with zest (1 lemon), 100 ml of warm vegetable oil, 50 ml of rice or apple cider vinegar. Store – in jars peeled with soda under a nylon lid in the refrigerator.
Pickled beets in Georgian style
If you want a more intense spicy taste “with peppercorns”, Georgian beets will be the most suitable recipe for its preparation. For this, the vegetable is also boiled, peeled and cut into slices. For pickling, mix a large amount of finely chopped greens (parsley, dill, coriander and, of course, cilantro) and 1-2 red onions with a couple of garlic cloves, bay leaves, black pepper and 3 tbsp. l. Georgian tkemali sauce. Mix all the ingredients, add salt if desired, pour over with vegetable oil. Mix the beets with the resulting mixture and let it brew for about half an hour. After – you can serve the finished dish to the table. Bon Appetit!