Cooking jam from watermelon peels: recipes, photos, tips
To make jam from watermelon peels, thick-skinned watermelons are usually selected. The taste of the finished sweetness does not at all resemble a watermelon. These will be sweet crunchy wedges soaked in spices and citrus fruit flavor.
The white watermelon hull is healthy enough. Trace elements in its composition fight obesity and edema. Also, with dysbiosis, colitis, gallstone disease, it is recommended to introduce watermelon peels into the diet. Frequent use of such a product will help restore fluid exchange in the body and cleanse it..
Read also about delicious pine cone jam!
When eating a watermelon, take your time to throw away the crusts. They can be preserved whole for the winter and the jam can be boiled in pieces. For those who are interested in how to make watermelon rind jam, there are some tips for creating this unusual dish. By itself, the white rind does not have an outstanding flavor. It is more neutral or with notes of immature fruit. But when boiled in sugar syrup, it gets a pleasant sweet taste. For those who want to fill the jam with other flavors, it is supplemented with citrus fruits and spices. From spices usually take cinnamon, cardamom, vanillin. You can take any spices you like to taste, they will not spoil the sweetness.
Watermelon rind jam can be cooked in a regular enamel pot. It will not be difficult for owners of multicooker units to prepare such an exclusive sweetness. Jam in any case comes out tasty. You need to store the finished dessert in the refrigerator in a jar closed with a nylon lid. Such jam easily overcomes long-term storage under a tin lid. Only it should be poured into cans hot, without waiting for cooling..
To obtain the crispy properties of the finished crusts, they must be kept in a soda solution for a certain amount of time. Thus, they retain their shape during storage and crunch pleasantly while eating..
In case of individual allergic reactions to watermelon, it is better not to make dishes from its peels.
Jam from watermelon peels without additives
If you are too lazy to make sweets for a long time, then the simplest recipe for jam from watermelon peels is ready for your attention. Two main ingredients are taken – peel and sugar (1: 1). To maintain the shape of the chopped particles, you will need soda – 1 teaspoon diluted with 1 liter of water.
- Cut off the green part from the crusts. Grind nicely into pieces.
- Soak in soda solution for 10 minutes. Rinse twice.
- Boil in sugar syrup for 3 sets of 7 minutes.
- The jam is ready!
Watermelon peel jam in a slow cooker
Those who want to make jam from watermelon peels in a multicooker should prepare a pound of watermelon peels and the same amount of sugar. Sprinkle 7 grams of baking soda to keep the pieces in shape.
- Peel the thin green rind from the watermelon rind. Finely chop the resulting white pulp.
- Submerge the slices in a soda solution for 30 minutes. Take out and rinse.
- Pour the crusts into a multicooker bowl, add sugar there.
- Set the “Stew” mode and cook for an hour, while stirring manually a couple of times. Feel free to open the lid and stir.
- Pour the finished jam into jars and twist. Keep refrigerated.
Lemon or orange juice can be added for a citrusy flavor..
Watermelon Peel Jam with Orange
The orange peel watermelon jam has a honey flavor and citrus aroma. This recipe does not provide for the stage of saturating the crusts with a soda solution, they are already crispy with the initially cut cube shape. For the dish, you will need 1.2 kg of crusts and the same amount of sugar. One orange will serve as an additional ingredient. Those who wish can add one lemon to the composition. To make jam from watermelon peels at home, you need an ordinary saucepan, a vegetable grater and sterilized jars.
- Cut the striped green skin off the watermelon rinds. Cut the resulting raw material into pieces.
- Pour the pieces with water and boil for 10 minutes.
- Remove the orange peel with a grater.
- Squeeze orange juice.
- Prepare syrup: boil sugar in water (3 cups) along with zest and juice.
- Place the crusts in the syrup and cook for 7 minutes. Allow to cool completely. Repeat this procedure three times.
- To clog the watermelon rind jam for the winter, it must be poured hot immediately after boiling. To do this, sterilize the jars in which to place the boiled jam. Tighten with a tin lid. Wrap up until it cools completely. No need to turn over.
Before processing, each part of the peel must be pricked with a fork..
Watermelon Peel Jam with Lemon
It will take up to two days to make jam from watermelon peels with lemon. Prepare 2 0.5 liter jars that will hold 1 kg of watermelon rinds. Pleasant acidity will bring 1 lemon, and exquisite spice – 1 teaspoon of cardamom and 5 grams of vanillin.
- The tough green shell is removed from the rind and the white is cut into cubes. For special dreamers, you can use a knife for curly cuts.
- Pour 6 cups of cold water and 2 teaspoons of baking soda into a basin or large saucepan. Place the slices in this mixture for 6 hours. With the help of baking soda, the crust becomes crispy. If you are not interested in this property, then such a procedure does not need to be carried out..
- Drain the soda solution, rinse the crusts and refill with plain clean water. Leave for half an hour. Repeat the procedure again.
- Boil the syrup consisting of 600 grams of sugar and 500 grams of water. Squeeze in the crusts and boil for 20 minutes. Turn off the heat and let it brew for 10 hours.
- After the specified time has elapsed, add another 600 grams of sugar and boil again for 20 minutes. Let it brew again for 10 hours.
- Prepare lemon: cut the peel into small pieces, get juice from the pulp.
- Stir in lemon peel, cardamom, lemon juice and vanilla in the jam. Cook for 25 minutes. The mass should not be too thick. After cooling, arrange in jars. Bon Appetit!
When removing the watermelon rind from the berry, it is better to hook a thin red layer of pulp. It will bring watermelon aroma and flavor to the jam.
Rolling jam for the winter
For long-term storage, it is better to select small jars with a screw cap. They must be sterilized for about 7-10 minutes, the same is done with the lids. After boiling, hot jam is collected with the help of a ladle and distributed among the jars. You need to fill it to the very top. Wipe off the remaining sweetness from the neck so that the lid fits snugly. Tighten the lid tightly. It can be not only screw caps, ordinary tin ones are also great, which are tightly attached to the neck, thanks to a rolling machine. The finished food is turned over and wrapped in a warm cloth. The next day it should cool down and only then can it be moved to the pantry..
Jam from watermelon peels can be safely attributed to extraordinary culinary dishes. Making a delicious sweetness out of a seemingly unnecessary product is an achievement. Delicious jam for you and bon appetit!