Methods for preparing several types of thorn compote for the winter
Blackthorn fruits differ from plums in a more sour, astringent taste, they are full of vitamins and nutrients. To preserve their beneficial properties, you can make thorn compote for the winter. September is the best time to stock up on the thorny drink. It can be done with or without sterilization. If you strictly follow the recipe and preparation technology, then this drink can be stored for up to two years at room temperature..
Useful properties of thorny plum and contraindications to its use
Blackthorn strengthens the immune system due to the vitamins B, P, C and E contained in it. In addition, the shrub berries are rich in organic acids, steroids, carbohydrates, mineral salts, carotene, tannins, glucose and fructose. Such a composition allows them to be used in the treatment of many diseases and as a prophylactic agent. Such diseases include: digestive disorders, constipation, gastritis, vitamin deficiency, purulent infections of the skin, dysfunction of the cardiovascular system, liver and kidneys. The plant helps with nervous excitability, insomnia and general weakness of the body. Fresh thorny juice helps to cope with hepatitis A. Also, blackthorn fruits are blood-purifying, anti-inflammatory, diaphoretic and disinfectant, remove toxic substances and toxins from the body, reduce the feeling of nausea, which is important for pregnant women with toxicosis.
Berries of thorns can hang until frost and are sources of vitamins, both fresh and in the form of compotes, jelly, jams and infusions. It is important that after being heat treated, the blackthorn retains its medicinal value and benefits. Blackthorn compote for the winter is a great drink for the health of the whole family.!
But, like any other product, thorns have contraindications for use. This is an increased acidity of the stomach, a tendency to allergies, ulcers and gastritis in the acute stage, individual intolerance.
Features of cooking compote
Making thorn compote for the winter is easy enough. But for long-term storage, it is important to observe some rules:
- First of all, the thorn must be carefully sorted out, removing wormy, rotten, dented, moldy and cracked fruits. If they get into the raspberry compote, they will definitely spoil it. It is also necessary to remove the stalks at the same time..
- Rinse the sloe berries well using running water, paying attention to each fruit. Then they must be dried on a towel or napkin..
- Prepare jars of the required size, wash them using soda or mustard powder. After sterilize by steam or in the oven and dry.
- It is important to seal the blackthorn drink hermetically. To do this, you need to prepare screw metal covers or those intended for seaming with a wrench. They can also be sterilized in boiling water for five minutes..
Thorn compote recipes for the winter
An unusually tasty compote from thorn fruits for the winter is prepared by the method of sterilization and methods of several fillings.
Recipe without sterilization
To prepare thorn compote without sterilization, you need:
- Fill the jar a third with thorns.
- Pour boiling water into a jar to the top of the neck, cover with a clean lid and leave for 15-20 minutes.
- At this time, you need to measure out 375 g of sugar.
- When the compote has settled, put a lid with a mesh on the jar and pour the liquid into a saucepan with granulated sugar.
- Place the pot on the stove and wait for it to boil; for better dissolution of sugar, it is recommended to stir the syrup.
- Pour boiling syrup into a jar using a wide funnel, immediately cover with a sterile lid and roll up.
- After rolling, turn the jar over and wrap it in a blanket to slow down.
After a day, it is necessary to check the tightness of the compote closure, if at least a little liquid is released, then it is not recommended to leave such a jar for a long time. After another two days, you need to see if the drink has become cloudy, in case of transparency, you can safely remove it for long-term storage.
The taste of the thorn compote for the winter, which is prepared without sterilization, practically does not differ from the taste of the drink made according to the classic recipe. A significant plus is that it takes less time to prepare it. Before use, in case it seems too cloying, you can dilute it with water.
The traditional recipe for thorn compote for the winter with sterilization
- Boil 2.5 liters of water, pour 0.5 kg of sugar into it and stir until completely dissolved.
- Put 1 kg of pure thorns in a colander and dip in boiling syrup, hold the berries like this for 5-7 minutes.
- Pour the blanched fruits into a prepared three-liter jar and pour syrup to the very top, then cover the jar with a prepared lid.
- Put a cloth on the bottom of the pan, put a jar on it, fill it with water to the level of the “hangers”.
- Set the pot on low heat and sterilize the jar for 15 minutes after boiling.
- Then you need to remove the jar from the pan and roll up the lid hermetically, set it upside down, wrap it up and leave it for a day. Then you can put the compote into storage..
According to this recipe, it is possible to prepare compote without fruit, for this it takes longer to blanch the berries in syrup – 10-15 minutes. The rest of the cooking technology will be the same.
Recipe for compote from thorns and apples for the winter
The process of making a compote from two components:
- Pour apples, cut into large slices, mixed with thorns, filling the third part of the jar.
- Pour boiling water over the fruit, leave for 10 minutes, then pour the liquid into a saucepan and add granulated sugar at the rate of 0.3 kg per liter of water.
- Bring the water to a boil, stirring it so that the granulated sugar is completely dissolved.
- Pour the resulting syrup over the thorns and apples.
- Place the jar in a saucepan, add water as described above and sterilize for 10 minutes from the moment of boiling.
- Take out the cans and roll up the lids tightly. Then, in an inverted position, wrap it with a blanket and after a day you can put it away for storage.
Compote prepared according to this recipe is considered universal, since apples dilute the astringency of the plum and almost everyone likes the drink..