Choosing kitchen facades – fashionable materials in 2021
A modern kitchen should be convenient and comfortable, ergonomic. Great importance is attached to the choice of materials from which kitchen sets are made..
Correctly selected furniture can transform the simplest layout. Design facade for the kitchen is selected taking into account the decoration of the walls, floor, ceiling. Facade color should match the rest of the furniture and appliances.
To understand which kitchen is better, you need to consider the combination of the characteristics of the base and the outer coating. You can focus on the performance and durability of the facades according to the reviews of IKEA and Leroy-Merlin buyers, the advice of friends, relatives or acquaintances
To make the right choice, you need to know what materials are used for kitchen facades, what are their features. Most often, pedestals are made of composites – a mixture of wood chips with binding components.
Pressed plates serve as the basis. A cladding is applied to them, which simultaneously performs a protective and decorative function. Less common are cherry, walnut, oak, veneered or without additional finishing. They look, of course, very beautiful, but they require special care, they do not tolerate variable humidity, high temperatures.
The selection of materials is due to practicality, durability, ease of maintenance. Furniture should retain its original appearance despite prolonged exposure to vapors, the ingress of fat, withstand wet cleaning using household chemicals. The more durable the base, the longer the headset will last without losing its appearance.
The name MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) translates as, wood compressed board. It is made from lumber crushed into chips. The chips are sieved, mixed with binder resins. The resulting mass is sent under the press, where it acquires hardness and density, which are not inferior in physical and mechanical properties to natural wood..
- Strength. This design is very sturdy and can withstand serious weight and accidental impact..
- Safety. In the manufacture, components are used that do not emit harmful substances even when heated..
- Variety of shapes. Production technology allows you to create structures of any shape – straight, radius, curved.
- If the lining is damaged, the base absorbs water and deforms.
- For the price of MDF facades are equal to the cost of solid wood cabinets.
Such plates are made from sawdust of a finer fraction. The shavings are thoroughly mixed with resins, pressed. The panels are sent for further processing – a protective coating is applied, with the help of templates they are cut to the required size.
- Availability. The price of the kit depends on the base and the type of cladding, but, as a rule, a kitchen made of chipboard costs 35-40% less than from MDF.
- Diverse design. Plates are available in any shade, with or without ornaments.
- Long period of operation. With proper care, the kit will last for many years without repair or replacement..
- Panels are afraid of water, react poorly to temperature changes.
- When heated, chipboard can release hazardous substances into the air..
- Chipboard has a looser structure, with careless handling, the attachment points fail after 3-6 months.
Types of coatings
Lamination is called melamine foil lining. It consists of paper impregnated with resin and varnished. The result is a smooth moisture resistant surface. This is one of the most economical options. Sometimes such panels are used for cutting not only the front part, but also the body..
- Moisture resistance. Lamination tolerates frequent cleaning, does not deteriorate under the influence of detergents.
- Decorative properties. Plates are produced with imitation of beech, alder, birch, as well as one-color, with geometric patterns, with floral or plant designs..
- Lamination is damaged by abrasive cleaning agents – scuffs remain.
- Melamine begins to break down when the temperature rises. Therefore, the walls of laminated cabinets installed in thermal zones must be protected by aluminum overlays..
To cover the panels with enamel, they are leveled – primed. After the primer has dried, several layers of paint are applied. Before applying each new layer, the previous one is dried and sanded. The final stage is the application of the enamel. This method produces bright, color-stable shades. Perfectly flat surface does not lose its beauty and strength during the entire service life.
- Facades are produced with various textures – glossy or matte, with a “metallic” effect.
- The furniture does not require complex maintenance. Any non-abrasive detergent can be used to remove dirt..
- Fingerprints are visible on the gloss, so you will have to wipe the cabinets daily.
- Under the influence of ultraviolet light, the paint loses its brightness, burnt spots remain.
- Chips appear on the enamel due to impacts.
As an external cladding, a polymer film is used, which can be of any shade, lacquer or mother-of-pearl, with a pattern or monochromatic.
- In this way, you can machine straight, angled bent and milled parts..
- High resistance to abrasion, exposure to chemically active media.
- Dirt and greasy stains are easily washed off the film.
- Large selection of colors.
- Near the oven or sink, PVC may peel off the base.
- Film scratches easily.
- Operation period 4-6 years.
Plastic facades are actually made of chipboard or MDF, and HPL is used as the outer layer. This refers to a multilayer material made of plastic and kraft paper. They are glued together under high pressure, covered with transparent melamine resin on top. Plastic sheets or rolls are glued to wood panels.
The ends are processed using postforming technology. The result is a seamless coating with high waterproof properties. If you need to do so that the ends differ in color or texture, then they are closed with edges made of acrylic or ABS plastic, aluminum.
- Increased resistance to mechanical stress, moisture, organic and chemical substances.
- The finish does not fade in direct sunlight, retains the brightness of the shades.
- Stabilized plastic does not emit toxic compounds, is quickly washed from fat.
- Any dirt is clearly visible on the gloss, so it must be constantly wiped with a dry cloth.
- Doors on the inside are white.
Natural wood is a highly durable, environmentally friendly material. Such cabinets can be paneled or made of solid wood. In the first case, they are completely made of wood. Paneled ones are made according to a different principle. A decorative element made of chipboard or glass is inserted into the frame structure. If a panel made of chipboard or MDF is veneered, then it does not differ from natural wood.
- The set looks solid and elegant, it is possible to decorate with carvings, stained-glass windows, onlays, openwork inserts.
- The weight of the cabinets is reduced due to lighter and thinner panels, the load on the walls is reduced.
- If the door is accidentally damaged, it can be repaired and refurbished.
- Soft rocks can change color when exposed to ultraviolet radiation.
- The tree absorbs all odors, swells with water, steam.
- Using products that contain chlorine or abrasives can damage the structure, spoil the color.
Metal facades are made of stainless steel, aluminum alloys. They are very strong and durable, easy to care for. The shiny chrome surfaces match perfectly with glass, artificial or natural stone. Metal kitchens are most often installed in apartments with a modern style interior – urbanism, minimalism or loft.
Among the advantages of a steel or aluminum kitchen, it is worth noting heat resistance, fire safety, corrosion resistance, and a long service life. The only drawback is that the metal is cold to the touch, it is not always pleasant to touch it. On metal facades, handprints, stains from wet rags, dried drops of water are very noticeable. Therefore, they must be constantly rubbed..