Cooking a Tatar national dish: gubadya pie with a yeast dough court
Who has never tasted Tatar cuisine, for sure now they will be surprised and ask themselves the question – what kind of miracle is this, gubadya? And this is a very tasty multilayer cake, which is often prepared at Tatar weddings, and just for the holidays..
Gubadya is a rather diverse culinary masterpiece. It can be prepared from both unleavened and yeast dough. The filling can be sweet or meaty.
See also article: rhubarb pie!
How to make pie dough?
Let’s start kneading the dough:
- Break 1 egg into warmed milk (1.5 tbsp.).
- Add two tablespoons of granulated sugar and two teaspoons of dry yeast. Stir well.
- Pour in vegetable oil (1 tablespoon) and melted butter (100 g).
- Add two tablespoons of semolina and one teaspoon of salt.
- Add a little flour, knead the dough until it stops sticking. Flour will need about 600 g.
- Grease the dough with sunflower oil, cover with foil and put in a warm place for 1.5 hours so that it comes up.
What products are needed for the gubad filling?
There are a lot of recipes for cooking gubadia, but today I want to talk about one of the most delicious pies – gubadia with a court.
So, for the filling you will need the following products:
- directly the court itself – 300 g;
- 300 g of steamed raisins, peeled off the tails;
- one and a half cups of dry rice, boiled until half cooked;
- 5 boiled and finely chopped eggs;
- 300 g butter (melted).
It is better not to use parboiled rice for the filling of the pie – it will be sticky, like porridge.
Pour raisins into rice, add oil and mix.
How to make a court at home?
The court is dry cottage cheese. It is not always and not everywhere on sale, but such a product is easy to make yourself. For this:
- mix 500 g of ordinary homemade cottage cheese and a glass of milk;
- pour the mass into a saucepan;
- bring to a boil and boil until all the liquid has evaporated and the curd turns a yellowish brown color;
- after the mass is boiled down, put butter (50 g) and half a glass of sugar.
To prevent the cottage cheese from burning, you need to take a saucepan with a thick bottom, and instead of homemade cottage cheese, you can take a store.
Combine the dough with filling
Divide the finished dough into two halves – for the bottom and top of the pie. Roll out one part according to the size of the shape with a margin on the sides. Grease the mold with oil, lay the dough, align the sides.
Now you can lay out the filling: first a layer of rice with raisins, then a layer of the court, on top – a layer of eggs. The last layer will be the remaining rice..
Roll out the second piece of dough, while the layer should be a couple of centimeters in diameter less than the form itself. Cover the pie with them. Using a knife, lift the sides, pull them to the “cover” and pinch. Make a hole in the middle to allow steam to escape. Sprinkle the cake with butter crumbs on top (chop the cold butter and flour). Bake in a preheated oven for 30-40 minutes.