Stretch ceiling in the kitchen (65 photos)
Renovation is not an easy undertaking that requires concentration on the smallest details of the interior. And when it comes to a room with constant temperature drops, splashes of fat flying in all directions and high humidity, you have to carefully select the material for each area, even if it seems to be out of danger. Stretch ceiling in the kitchen is a popular solution, but how comfortable, stable or aesthetic they are? Let’s try to figure it out together!
Stretch ceilings in the kitchen: pros and cons
Stretch ceilings mean a kind of suspended structures that are attached to the surface with a frame, completely or partially covering it with a layer of canvas. There are two types of fabric – PVC film and fabric. The latter is extremely rarely used in the kitchen space: it has the property of absorbing odors, vapors and moisture. But the polyvinyl chloride coating is resistant to specific indoor conditions, due to its good characteristics and practical properties.
– The ceiling made of tightly stretched film is not afraid of moisture. This applies to internal and external conditions. For example, if the neighbors from above accidentally flood the apartment, a high quality canvas can hold up to 100 liters of water, after removing which it will return to its original level position.
– The surface of the film does not collect dust, does not accumulate moisture, and therefore is not exposed to the growth of fungi or unwanted microorganisms. Any dirt can be easily removed with a damp cloth and with a regular alcohol-free cleaning agent..
– Another important factor is environmental friendliness. Synthetic materials have all quality certificates, which is why they are absolutely safe for human health..
– Stretch ceilings are a profitable investment not for one year, but for all ten, as most manufacturers promise. But practice proves that with proper care, the coating retains a presentable appearance even after 15 years..
– Behind the stretch film, you can hide not only the imperfections of the ceiling, but also pipes, beams or electrical wiring. It is ideal for installing recessed lights that evenly illuminate every area of the kitchen..
– With the help of a stretch ceiling in the kitchen, you can zoning the space, highlighting the dining or work areas. Different colors, patterns and textures will help with this..
– The frame and the canvas are quickly assembled, without leaving the usual construction waste on every object of the room. You can take care of their installation even at the end of the renovation, when all the furniture is in place..
But if a stretch ceiling is able to hold such an impressive volume of water, then other loads will not interfere with it? Unfortunately, it is not. A thin canvas can be pierced with an ordinary needle, so even rearranging tall furniture sometimes turns into a tragedy for the film..
The aesthetics of the design can also be disturbed by the seams that remain after installation, and the mood can be disturbed by an unpleasant smell in the first days. This option is not suitable for a room with low walls, as it will lower the upper part even more..
For those who like to do repairs with their own hands, it is better to “give” the ceiling into the hands of professionals, if you do not want to then face sagging. Calling the masters, of course, will cost a pretty penny, but the main costs will go to the necessary materials. Stretch ceilings have good characteristics, for which you will have to pay a considerable amount.
Types of ceilings
PVC film has an excellent property – a variety of surfaces, which can differ not only in colors or patterns. Consider popular options along with their design potential.
Matte stretch ceilings for the kitchen
They have a classic look, helping to embody a cozy atmosphere in the kitchen. Due to the fact that the coating does not reflect glare and does not create a mirror effect, it makes the lamps shine softer, evenly distributes the light.
The stripes leave seam marks when pulled together, but the dullness makes them more invisible, unlike other options. A single-level stretch ceiling is ideal for a kitchen in a classic, Scandinavian or Provence style.
Glossy stretch ceilings for the kitchen
The opposite property is possessed by glossy stretch ceilings, which reflect the interior, visually enlarging it and creating the illusion of a continuation of the space. They look modern, in a sense luxurious, more accurately convey the brightness of the shades.
Unfortunately, on a glossy ceiling, it is easier to see the seams between the stripes. Small kitchens with cold colors can create the “unfriendly” atmosphere typical of public spaces. To avoid this, you need to correctly balance the design..
Satin stretch ceilings for the kitchen
This type can be considered an intermediate option between the two previous ones. It has a mother-of-pearl effect, providing a soft, diffuse reflection of light. Satin stretch ceiling can change its shade depending on the type of lighting.
This material is more durable and has a better density. Its coating resembles satin fabric, which makes it look expensive. Ideal for multi-level designs.
Stretch ceilings with photo printing for the kitchen
PVC film is considered the ideal “canvas” for drawings and realistic photo printing. Typically, a special eco-solvent ink printer is used to print the image..
You can choose solid or fragmentary printing, depending on the size of the picture or panel. Such services are more expensive than traditional tensioning structures. We do not recommend using such a ceiling design for a kitchen with a small footage..
Lighting and illumination
The lighting system needs to be thought out before installing the stretch ceiling in the kitchen, since it can be problematic to bring in additional bulbs afterwards. PVC film is a very delicate material that does not like high temperatures, so it is better to focus on LED and energy-saving types..
Stretch ceilings offer three main lighting options: central, linear and spot. They can be combined to provide light to all areas of the kitchen..
In this choice, you will have to focus not only on your needs, but also on the features of the film coating and color. For example, glossy ceilings reflect light, enhancing the overall brightness. More fixtures should be purchased for matte finishes as the lighting may look a little dim..
Stretch ceiling for a small kitchen
A small kitchen can suffer from any rash design step. To find the perfect ceiling for your space, follow these guidelines:
– The color of the stretch ceiling in the kitchen should be a few tones lighter than the walls, or at least not darker. A white neutral coating is ideal for our mission, but bright shades should be discarded..
– Gloss, like a mirror, reflects the interior and allows you to slightly raise the upper border. But, as already mentioned, such matter can look uncomfortable in confined spaces..
– Avoid any decorative elements: images, multi-level structures or curly products. They will not only visually reduce the area, but will also look out of place in a small kitchen..
– If possible, it is better not to buy bulky chandeliers, but to limit yourself to built-in spotlights.
Thus, a smooth white stretch ceiling with a satin texture, softly lit by built-in lamps, would be an ideal option for a small kitchen..
Stretch ceilings in the kitchen – photo
Better than any words about the advantages and aesthetics of stretch ceilings in the kitchen, completed projects will tell. We have selected colorful photographs for you that can lead you to the right decision. Happy viewing!