Wallpaper for the hall: 60 beautiful ideas
The living room is a room that acts as the center of all events taking place in the family. Family celebrations are held here, guests are welcomed, so special attention must be paid to the design of the premises. Most often, I use wallpaper for wall decoration, which, due to its variety of colors, patterns and textures, allow you to embody any design ideas. In our article we will consider various types of wallpaper for the hall and the possibilities of their successful combination..
Types of wallpaper for the hall
In the choice of wallpaper, the material from which they are made is of great importance. Unlike ordinary paper canvases, which were used for pasting walls several decades ago, today canvases have many interpretations. For the premises of the hall, which does not experience any particular climatic changes, the main factor will be the practicality and aesthetic appeal of one type or another. Today, the following types of canvases are distinguished:
– Paper wallpaper is the simplest type, which has a low cost, therefore it does not lose its popularity to this day. Such wallpapers do not have high indicators of durability, but they have a huge selection of colors;
– Non-woven and vinyl wallpapers are the most practical coverings that can be considered the standard of value for money. Non-woven fabrics often have a relief surface, can have their own color scheme or be designed for painting. Vinyl wallpapers are also non-woven fabrics, but covered with an additional decorative layer. Both those and others get along well in any conditions, have a long service life;
– Natural – accommodates several types of wallpapers: textile, bamboo, cork, leather. Any of these coatings has excellent aesthetic qualities, but the high cost of materials allows them to be introduced into the interior only as accents;
– Fiberglass wallpaper – the most environmentally friendly and durable type of embossed wallpaper, designed for painting;
– Liquid wallpaper – in fact, it is a decorative plaster, both in composition and in the method of application. A wide range of colors and free-flowing decorative additives allow you to create a unique interior design. They provide high sound insulation and do not have joints;
– Metallized wallpaper – canvases that can effectively protect against radiation from various electrical appliances, provide good heat and sound insulation, are incredibly durable and beautiful;
– Stereoscopic – wallpaper with a three-dimensional image. They are made of polyester, on which a pattern is applied in layers in a certain sequence of tones, which ultimately creates the illusion of volume.
In the interior of the hall, you can perfectly combine various types of wallpaper, which is often used in the design of individual functional areas. For example, in the area of special attention, as a rule, there is a wall with a TV screen, which can be decorated with stereoscopic or fabric wallpaper with a print. It is better to place more practical non-woven or vinyl canvases on the walls of the dining area..
How to choose the color of wallpaper for the hall
The choice of a palette for the living room depends on both excellent preferences and the size of the room, but in most cases, light colors are still used, which give the room more lightness and spaciousness. It is also worth considering the side of the world that the windows of the hall face: for the northern one, warm colors are preferable, which will emphasize the comfort and warmth of the home environment. For the south, cold undertones are taken away, which will somewhat cool the sunny interior..
White color is rarely used in full measure in the interior of the hall only in cases when it creates a background, where the main accent is furniture. A more favorable color is beige. It can be found in various styles. It creates a feeling of comfort and tranquility, it is in perfect harmony with any palette, especially with brown, white, golden tones..
Blue and green tones, which have a large spectrum of shades, look no less aesthetically pleasing in the living room. Intense colors set up a calm, measured conversation, while whitewashed colors create an airy, carefree atmosphere..
Yellow is a cheerful color, it makes the room both light and warm, invigorates and cheers up. At the same time, the large presence of its bright shades can quickly get bored and irritable, so it is better to choose colder tones for the living room and combinations with other colors..
The red palette looks best in its dark burgundy and wine undertones, creating respectability, richness of the atmosphere. The scarlet palette can also be present – it creates an amazing feeling of celebration, but its number needs to be limited.
It is quite possible to combine the colors of the wallpaper in the conditions of one room, both according to a related feature and a contrasting one, highlighting accents and adjusting the geometry of the space. For example, decorating one of the walls in a dark color will significantly highlight it and at the same time bring it closer. To visually level a narrow room, you can decorate short walls with dark wallpaper, and long walls with lighter ones..
Features of wallpaper with patterns
It is rare to find a hall decorated with plain wallpaper – such an interior can seem rather boring and monotonous. Unless you are an avid adherent of excessive minimalism, the absence of patterns will need to be compensated for by decorative elements..
Today, there are many wallpapers for the hall with various ornaments – these can be large and small floral prints, geometric lines, damask patterns with large plant elements of unusual shapes arranged in a vertical order. Depending on the design concept, the choice can fall on checkered or striped canvases, which are often found in rural areas, or have a lattice ornament, as in a classic living room. When choosing wallpaper with a pattern, pay attention to some features that can affect the visual perception of space, namely:
– A large drawing is able to “bring closer” the wall, therefore, most often such wallpapers are used to create accents or in large spacious rooms where it is necessary to compose the situation;
– Small print gives dynamics to the interior, gives airiness and grace;
– The vertical arrangement of patterns or straight lines can “raise” the ceiling surface, while horizontal images contribute to the expansion of the walls.
In the interior, you can create accents and highlight areas by combining wallpaper with different patterns or monochromatic canvases. Combinations of floral elements with stripes, geometric lines with abstraction look harmonious.
A special look is a photo wallpaper that can decorate and change the interior beyond recognition, fill it with excellent floral, landscape paintings or panoramas of megalopolises. Canvases can be on paper, non-woven or self-adhesive backing, have a smooth or textured surface resembling decorative plaster.
Wallpaper and interior styles
When choosing wallpaper for the hall, pay attention to the fact that they should correspond to the idea of the style direction that you have chosen for decoration. Each design style has its own characteristics, neglecting which will create confusion in the environment. For clarity, here are some examples:
– The hall, made in classical style, will look luxurious with damask patterns, floral ornaments, gilding and monograms. Here is the place for fabrics framed with plaster moldings;
– Provence will fill the interior with warm light tones, floral designs associated with ancient chintz, photowall-paper with floral images is often used;
– Living room in a loft design will not do without wallpaper imitating unplastered wall fragments, brickwork;
– The high-tech living room is characterized by the use of abstraction drawings, stereoscopic wallpapers, metallized canvases;
– In minimalism, a monochromatic design is more common, but not devoid of the opportunity to be diluted with discreet patterns on an accent wall.
Wallpaper for the hall – photo
At the end of our review, we invite you to look at our photo gallery, which contains many examples demonstrating the design of halls with wallpaper. Happy viewing!