Glass interior doors (65+ photos)
Interior doors made of glass are a relatively new phenomenon, but they have already firmly established themselves on the positive side. Few people know, but the first prototypes of such designs were invented and successfully used by the French back in the 17th century. Of course, they did not correspond to the high aesthetic and strength characteristics of modern models, but they were still widespread. Glass interior doors have a number of advantages when compared with their counterparts made of wood and plywood. Let’s take a look at the assortment of today’s door market and appreciate all the advantages of these wonderful products..
Advantages and disadvantages
Speaking about glass interior doors, we can highlight their main advantage – versatility. Thanks to the wide design field, you can install structures in your home that will perfectly “fit” into a particular style of interior. This is especially true today, as the design of premises is increasingly striving for open free space..
The next positive property can be safely called the durability of the material, since the glass used in the manufacture of doors is particularly durable, is not susceptible to moisture, temperature changes, is not afraid of ultraviolet radiation and, unlike metal and wood, does not rust and does not dry out over time.
But, as they say, it will not do without a “fly in the ointment” – glass closures are quite heavy, which greatly complicates the installation, and are by no means cheap. If these facts did not frighten you, we suggest that you familiarize yourself with the whole variety of this piece of furniture..
Types of glass interior doors
The main classification of glass interior doors is based on opening methods. Each type has its own quality characteristics that should be considered when buying. So, a modern manufacturer is ready to provide the following categories of doors:
1. Hinged glass structures with a box, which can be frameless or have a rim encircling the glass. Such models are able to open in one direction, have the highest rate of sound insulation, since the door fits snugly against the plane of the box. Models with a frame are considered more reliable, since the glass is additionally protected from mechanical damage.
2. Swing doors installed without a frame, which are also called swing doors. The main advantage of the design is that the doors can be opened in any direction due to the attachment to axial mechanisms. Naturally, this is quite convenient, especially for a large family, as it provides free bandwidth. But the main drawback in this case will be weak sound insulation and the penetration of foreign odors into the room, for example, from dishes prepared in the kitchen..
3. Interior sliding doors made of glass. They can be easily compared according to the principle of work with wooden structures that have long been included in our everyday life. The transparent curtains also move along the guide strips at the top and bottom of the doorway. It should be noted that in compartment models, more massive glasses are installed than in previous cases..
4. Cassette systems. It also uses the principle of movement of the canvas along the guides, but a distinctive feature will be the presence of a cassette inside the wall, where the doors “enter” when opening. The main advantage of the system is that the owners do not have to worry about the availability of free space near the doors in order to ensure their smooth movement. However, there is also a rather big drawback – during installation, damage to the wall can be caused, which will require additional repair.
In addition to opening methods, glass interior doors can differ in their degree of transparency, being subdivided into completely transparent, semi-matt and matte. The choice of this or that option is based both on the personal preferences of the owners and on the functional purpose of a particular room, because it is not always necessary that the room be completely open to prying eyes. For example, transparent glasses will perfectly mark the border of the living room and the corridor, matte glass is rational to install at the entrance to the bathroom, semi-matt glass interior doors can be used for any space.
Glass door design features
In addition to all of the above, one cannot but admire the variety of design solutions for the decoration of glass doors. Today you can choose any exclusive design for your interior. It is quite possible to find or purchase glass door structures for each style direction, which can significantly emphasize the concept, for example:
– The loft interior will be complemented by large sliding structures with frosted glass or corrugated glass framed by a rough wooden rim;
– The high-tech style, like no other, is characterized by the presence of a maximum of free space and glass surfaces. Both large transparent canvases, which lend lightness to the space, and modest pendulum doors with original geometric patterns are welcome here. Special emphasis should be placed on functional details – door closers, handles, hinges;
– Strict minimalism will be emphasized by matte modern sliding doors, without any patterns and glossy sheen;
– In a retro style, you can improvise with drawings on glass swing doors with a frame, which will display floral prints, peculiar geometric patterns, etc. Handles made of copper or brass will help to enhance the effect of antiquity.
This type is the most popular – such designs can be found both in interiors and on the streets. The canvases framed by a frame look quite elegant and sophisticated. Wood is most often used as a skeleton material. For the style of shabby chic and Provence, glass French doors in a white wooden frame are perfect, and dark tones are characteristic of modern trends..
Stained glass doors. Louis Tiffany style
Glass structures with stained-glass windows made by different techniques can become a real work of art. One of the most popular is the Tiffany technology, the use of which ensures reliable fastening of various elements, high aesthetic performance, and the ability to create a wide variety of drawings and abstractions..
The American artist-designer has developed an excellent system for assembling stained glass from individual pieces using laser cutting and glass melting technology. Stained-glass windows look especially attractive in the Art Nouveau, Art Deco and Eastern styles. Here you can see an abundance of combined bright colors in natural, geometric, ornamental and abstract subjects..
Glass doors decorated with foil
The most economical decoration option is to decorate glass doors with colored, matte or mirror films. The technology is so simple that the work can be carried out independently, without the help of specialists. But, at the same time, this type of design does not differ in a long service life..
Sandblasted glass doors
Much more durable is the use of sandblasting, which is carried out exclusively in the factory. In this case, the glass and the drawing merge into a single whole, and the complexity of the execution depends on the wishes of the owners – it can be a simple composition for minimalistic interiors or a more pompous one..
Structures using triplex glass
The most durable material for transparent doors is triplex glass. Its peculiarity lies in the production technology, when several glasses are glued together with a decorative film of any color placed between them. An interesting fact is that when damaged or broken (which happens extremely rarely), the fragments do not fly away, but remain attached to the film. This fact indicates the increased safety of the use of such a design..
How to choose glass interior doors
Since the choice of the interior item we are considering is quite large, before buying it is important to think over everything to the smallest detail, weigh the pros and cons of this or that design. It is worth noting that the cost of glass interior doors is rather big, especially if they are made to order in compliance with the style. All the subtleties are important here, starting from the methods of opening, the degree of enlightenment of the glass, its decor and ending with the quality of the fittings..
It is necessary to pay attention to the quality of glass, its price – the higher the cost, the more reliable it is. The most durable systems are “Triplex”, but their price, respectively, is high. Also, the price can be influenced by the size of the door and its weight, therefore, when going to buy, you need to immediately decide on the budget..
When buying, it does not hurt to require the seller to provide a certificate of conformity for the purchased glass door in order to protect your family and friends from troubles.
Glass interior doors – photo
Many ideas for the installation and design of glass interior doors can be gleaned from the gallery below. Here are collected the best photos of their various types, decorated in modern style solutions. Happy viewing!