Single bed (70 photos): types, how to choose
Single beds are one of the versatile and compact furniture options for small bedrooms and children’s rooms. They are in greatest demand among people leading a bachelor lifestyle, among the elderly, and also among adolescents. Their main advantage is that such furniture does not take up much space and by installing a transforming structure, you can free up space as much as possible. In our article, we will look at what modern single-bed shoes are, as well as provide practical tips for choosing them..
Types and models of single beds
Today’s furniture manufacturer can boast of a huge range of single sleeping boxes. Despite the fact that they are less in demand than double beds, it will not be difficult to choose the most suitable option. Beds differ in the material of manufacture, as well as in the design features..
Depending on the materials
If you decide to buy a single bed, first of all you should pay attention to the material. In the production of modern furniture, four main types of raw materials are used – natural wood, chipboard, MDF and metal. Let’s consider their main advantages and disadvantages..
1. Array. For decades and even centuries, a wooden bed remains a fashionable and relevant piece of furniture, which can create an atmosphere of comfort and warmth in any bedroom. It is believed that wooden furniture has a special energy, filling force, improving mood and calming. It should be noted that wood practically does not contain harmful particles, therefore it is rightfully considered an environmentally friendly material. In addition, wooden beds at all times were considered a sign of the wealth and excellent taste of the owners. As for the strength of wooden structures, this question cannot be answered unequivocally. It’s all about the various features of a particular wood. For example, a pine bed cannot boast of high wear resistance parameters, since pine itself is a rather soft material. Unlike it, oak or beech have a much greater strength, therefore, furniture made on their basis will last a long time..
2. Particleboard. The main advantage of chipboard beds is their low cost in comparison with other materials. In the process of making boards from shavings, glue components and bonding resins are added to the composition, so the chipboard bed has high strength, it will not be prone to damage and mold. However, this material also has its drawback – with increased heating, chipboard can emit formaldehyde, which is unsafe for health..
3. MDF. This material has some similarities with chipboards, but it does not contain resins. Beds made of MDF have greater durability (respectively, they will last much longer), various variations in shapes and sizes. They look stylish in interiors of any style. The disadvantage of structures is their flammability, so they should not be placed in rooms with a fireplace, stove or stove..
4. Metal. Metal beds are very popular today. This is largely justified by the high strength characteristics, as well as environmental safety, the absence of harmful components in the composition. In the design of modern apartments, there is more and more a tendency to design “cozy” styles, such as Provence, country, shabby chic, so there is a great interest in forged products. And this is quite justified, because forging elements always give the interior some charm and richness of design..
Depending on design features
When choosing a bed, it is important to pay attention to its design data. This is especially true for small apartments and children’s rooms, where in a small space it is necessary to fit, in addition to a bed, a lot of different things. Next, we will consider modern types of single beds, which differ in their additional capabilities..
Single bed with drawers. In this case, we are actually talking about an ordinary small bed for one person, which is equipped with a headboard and edges. However, its peculiarity lies in the presence of drawers under the berth. Most often, such compartments for storing linen and other accessories have a retractable mechanism, but swing structures are also found..
Lifting bed. No less relevant for small rooms are single-sleeping beds with a rising berth, under which a box is located. Unlike drawers, the lifting mechanism significantly saves space, since it does not require free space near.
Sofa bed. The main difference between the sofa is the backrest. It can be stiff, but most often the manufacturer covers it with a material, for example, imitation leather or other fabric. Also, the set with the sofa is supplied with soft decorative pillows, which add extra comfort to the sleeping place. The model with a protruding curly sidewall looks especially beautiful.
Bed built into the furniture. Another option that helps to significantly save space in the room. In this case, various cabinets, cabinets and shelves seem to grow around the bed, creating a single ensemble with it..
Single convertible bed. Modern convertible beds are found in many interiors that cannot boast of a large area. This know-how really has a big advantage over conventional bedroom furniture. A single transforming bed can be easily and easily folded, turning into a wardrobe or part of a headset with hinged shelves. Such a bed is often installed in a children’s room, where there is a sorely lack of space for little fidgets to play. This is also a good option for studio apartments, when the living room is also the bedroom. In the daytime, the bed can be easily hidden by folding it horizontally or vertically.
Loft bed. A good option for a children’s room, although it is also found in small bachelor studio apartments. The bottom line is that the bed is located on the upper floor of the structure, under which the work area, playroom or various lockers are placed. These beds are usually sold without a mattress – it must be selected separately. It is best to make such a piece of furniture to order – then the manufacturer has the opportunity to take into account all the wishes of the customer, which relate to the configuration and dimensions. When choosing a design, it is imperative to take into account its height, as well as the dimensions of the room, so that the sleeping place is not under the very ceiling.
Single bed with extra bed. No less interesting is the model with a pull-out berth, which is additional to the single-bed design. In this case, the second platform rolls out freely from the bottom of the main one. The purchase of such a bed will be a good help for small rooms, where there is a lot of furniture and you need to leave room for free movement..
Inflatable models. An inflatable bed will allow you to quickly organize a sleeping place in case the guest needs an overnight stay. It is very similar to the mattresses known to us, but differs from them in greater thickness, due to which it is able to withstand a weight of up to 120 kg. The surface of the inflatable bed is often covered with flock, which prevents the bedding from slipping off. Also included is an inflatable back so that you can comfortably sit up and recline.
How to choose a single bed
The bed is designed to provide the most comfortable conditions for a good rest, so you need to approach its choice with the utmost scrupulousness. First of all, you need to decide on the size of the berth. Single beds can be of different sizes.
When buying a bed for a schoolchild, it is necessary to take into account that you are purchasing it for more than one year, therefore it is better to buy a larger model – for growth. The main existing sizes of single-splices range from 2 m in length (plus or minus 15 cm) and 1 m in width (also plus or minus 15 cm). In addition to the fact that the bed should fit into the environment, it should also be comfortable for sleeping. There is one trick, how to choose a single bed – you need to lie on it, close your palms in the abdomen, and spread your elbows to the sides. Now we look at the distance that remains from the elbows to the sides – it should be at least 10 cm.The same gap should be maintained above and below the body.
When choosing furniture, many ask themselves about its environmental friendliness. As for the beds, the best option in this regard would be a metal bed, but it should “fit” into the style of the interior. A metal bed is appropriate in a vintage design, in the style of Provence, loft. Luxurious wrought iron backs complement the classic designs. Furniture made of wood (chipboard, fiberboard) can be present in any interior – here its design features will already play an important role.
Choosing a mattress
The main parameters of convenience to a greater extent depend on the mattress, its degree of rigidity and ventilation. Manufacturers often offer models of single beds complete with a mattress, but there are also models that require a separate purchase. In any case, the first thing you should pay attention to is filling.
There are several types of “fillings” that provide different levels of comfort, namely:
1. Mattresses on springs with interconnected or decoupled systems. In the first version, the springs are intertwined, and in the second, they are located in separate woven nests. A mattress with separately sitting springs is more comfortable – it adapts better to the anatomical features of a person;
2. Springless, in which the filler is a material of natural or synthetic fibers.
There are also single-sided and double-sided models with different coatings. Demi-season mattresses are popular. They have one side with an insulated layer, and the other is equipped with a hygroscopic fabric to ensure better air exchange in the heat..
The most acceptable option can be called orthopedic mattresses, which are able to provide better support for the spine, bringing great benefits to the body’s musculoskeletal system. The purchase of such a mattress is especially recommended for people suffering from diseases of the joints and spine..
When choosing a mattress, you should also consider weight and age. For overweight persons, it is better to stay on hard models, and for thin ones – on softer ones. For elderly people, doctors do not recommend hard surfaces, which can provoke difficulties in blood circulation. For schoolchildren, on the contrary, it is better to choose a mattress with a high level of firmness in order to avoid problems with the spine. Small children can look out for a model of increased strength, because they will surely play and jump on the mattress.
Single beds – photo
In the further gallery you have the opportunity to familiarize yourself with various models of single beds, evaluate the advantages of one or another option. We hope our tips and photos will help you make the right choice. Happy viewing!