Wall key holder for the hallway: 70 photo ideas
Does it happen that you can’t find your keys right before leaving? This is a very frustrating situation. A stylish and undoubtedly useful wall key holder will help you fix it. Having picked up or made a housekeeper with your own hands, you will forever forget about these insignificant but unpleasant everyday problems.
Choosing a housekeeper for the hallway
Conditionally, wall key holders can be divided into two types: open and closed. Closed ones are made in the form of boxes or lockers in which the keys are hidden. They are a platform with key holders. Based on the materials used for the manufacture of key holders, the following groups can be distinguished:
Stylish metal key holders look great in loft or high-tech interiors. An excellent storage solution for many keys and small accessories. Beautiful metal key holders create a representative image of the hallway.
Wooden housekeepers are extremely popular – an unusual accessory that will emphasize the good taste of the owner of the apartment. Beautiful types of wood, decorated with carvings or bright colors, will help not only decorate the hallway, but also conveniently place the keys.
Do you want to make your hallway special? Then you should choose a key holder made of leather. Such accessories are predominantly small in size, which is very important for owners of small corridors. An excellent and sophisticated element, complemented by wood or metal inserts, to suit any interior.
Making a housekeeper with your own hands
Do you think that making a wall key holder in the corridor is difficult? Nothing like this! This is a fairly simple and interesting exercise. You only need a little time and effort to do this. In addition, you will save a lot of money, because the materials are quite affordable, and many of them can be found in your apartment..
If this is your first time dealing with the creation of interior decor, then try to make the simplest and most affordable option – an open housekeeper. Such home decor can be made from any base, the main thing is that hooks or other holders can be fixed on it. Crafts from wood, small boards or thick branches, structures made of wire and pieces of plastic – all this is suitable for making a housekeeper with your own hands.
Involve the kids in creativity, this will keep them busy and get used to order. If you decorate each key with a unique tag, also created by your own hands, the whole structure of the key holder will get a really colorful appearance.
If you consider yourself a skilled craftsman, then try creating a closed wall key holder. The process will take a little more effort and time, but the result will look truly beautiful and mysterious. On the outside of such a cabinet, you can place a photo or a cute image, decorate it with old keys or a clock, this will give the whole structure even more charm.
Additionally, closed key holders can be an organizer, hide useful little things.
Do-it-yourself housekeeper with a pattern for the hallway
Let’s dive into the needlework process with you and create a simple, but unusual and unique colored key holder. For this we need to prepare:
– Base – you can take a board made of fiberboard or wood;
– A pot of pots – first divide it into two parts;
– Putty and tools for its application – it can be a spatula or a brush;
– Paints – acrylic or gouache are suitable;
– Clear nail polish;
– PVA glue and Moment – instant glue can be replaced with liquid nails;
– Key hooks.
Let’s get to work. Cover the work area with foil or paper to keep it clean..
1. Take the prepared base. Give it any shape you want. Apply plaster, its layer should be very thin – 0.5-1 cm.
2. While the putty is not dry, you can mark the pattern with your finger or a thin stick.
3. Draw attention to the ornament by coloring the lines. Wait until the paint and putty are completely dry, and then cover the base with varnish.
4. Optionally, you can paint the halves of the planter pot or decorate them in any other way.
5.Using Moment glue or liquid nails, glue the pot halves onto the base. When all the elements are dry, place the base in the frame and proceed to installing the hooks.
6. Depending on the hooks you choose, glue or screw them to the base. Now your housekeeper is completely ready.
After completing all the steps, you will receive an original and useful key holder, which will be a wonderful decoration for your hallway..
Do-it-yourself wood saw key keeper
Would you like a stylish and interesting housekeeper for your hallway? We will tell you how to make a housekeeper from a saw cut, which is perfect for a rustic or Scandinavian style interior.
You will need the following materials:
– Wood saw cut – you can choose the desired type of tree and determine the diameter;
– Stain – based on water or alcohol;
– Sandpaper – it is better to choose a fine or medium grain size, since a large one will damage the wood pattern;
– Varnish – transparent acrylic is suitable;
– Brush – made of synthetic materials;
– Hooks – any variation will do that can be fixed with screws or glue.
If you love working with wood, then such a housekeeper will be the perfect option for you. You can choose absolutely any saw cut, pine, maple or acacia looks great.
1. Process the saw cut with sandpaper, first with a medium-grained, and then with a finer-grained one. This will get rid of various irregularities and damage from the saw. In order not to damage the wood pattern, carefully and accurately run the sandpaper along the fiber. Then remove the dust that has appeared and watch the surface of the tree, the fibers will rise, and you will see the drawing. Wait until the workpiece is completely dry.
2. The next stage is the staining of the saw cut. If this is your first time dealing with woodworking, then get a water stain. It will save you from a lot of mistakes, because it dries much longer, and you will have the opportunity to wipe unsightly places and remove drips. You need to stain along the grain of the tree using a wide synthetic brush. To get a uniform pattern, you need to stain several times. Each layer must dry before you move on to the next..
3. Optionally, you can transfer any drawing to a blank. To do this, prepare a mirrored printout of the drawing. Cover the patterned sheet and the wood with varnish (acrylic), then put them together. Smooth out the cut and leave for about 3 hours..
4. Now gently peel the paper and start rolling it, the pattern should appear. Remove the paper completely and clean the surface of its remains.
5. For fastening to the wall, you can use a loop of thick thread or buy special devices.
That’s all, your new wall saw cutter is ready. Similarly, you can prepare several small cuts at once, and then attach them to the base..
Do-it-yourself housekeeper from the frame
In their home, many may find an outdated frame for a picture or photo, but there is no need to rush to throw it away. They make excellent wall key holders, which can give beauty and a certain place for your keys..
Depending on your idea, the materials will vary, and for our example you will need the following:
– Frame – a frame for a picture or photo, of any size and shape is suitable.
– Plywood – select or prepare a piece to fit the frame.
– Primer and paints – you need acrylics.
– Brush – wide, made of synthetic materials.
– Sandpaper – fine to medium grit. It can be replaced with an abrasive sponge.
– Decoupage card – select the desired pattern, but make sure it fits in size.
– Hooks – these are where your keys will be placed. They can be replaced with small self-tapping screws, it all depends on your concept.
– Tool – Phillips screwdriver, drill and jigsaw.
Before starting work, measure the internal dimensions of the frame, then, based on them, prepare a piece of plywood. Cover the plywood with acrylic primer and then paint. Painting can be replaced, for example, with a burlap sticker or a crayon pattern. If you used a primer, then you need to sand it – first with medium, and then with fine-grained sandpaper.
Apply the glue to the plywood, then place the dampened decoupage card on top and smooth well to remove any bubbles. Then you can tint the frame with acrylic paint or wood stain. When the whole piece is ready and dry, for added durability, cover it with acrylic varnish and let it dry again. Slide finished plywood into frame, screw hooks and wall mounts.
Optionally, you can add tags with inscriptions or numbers – this approach will make your handling of keys as convenient and organized as possible..
Wall key holder for the hallway – photo
Our photo gallery has incorporated many useful and entertaining ideas that will help you decide which housekeeper is right for your hallway. Whether it will be an open or closed product, made of metal or wood – it’s up to you. We wish you inspiration and success in all your endeavors.!