Money tree (bastard): 90 photos
Despite the rapid development of technology, space exploration and scientific breakthroughs, there is still room for superstition in everyday life. Many have their own talismans, someone believes in signs, and someone follows beliefs. According to one of the popular beliefs, a money tree, or a fat woman, feels financially and attracts money. Of course, this is debatable. To believe or not to believe in omens – everyone decides for himself. The only undeniable fact remains that the money tree is still found in almost all houses where there is a green corner..
The fat woman is one of the most famous and common succulents that came to us from South Africa. She got the name “money tree” because of the characteristic shape of the leaves. Volumetric and rounded, they resemble coins. In nature, their main purpose is to accumulate water. It is due to him that the fat woman is unpretentious and takes root well in arid regions..
The largest varieties reach 2 m, branch and overgrow with a lush crown, but for this they require constant care. In nature, this is a flowering plant with a long flowering period – up to 3 months, but it is almost impossible to achieve this in an apartment. But there is a downside: the lack of fragrant flowers and pollen makes the fat woman almost completely hypoallergenic.
The size of the leaves ranges from 1 to 7 cm. The shape is round, oval, heart-shaped or elongated. The brightness and saturation of colors directly depends on the level of illumination..
The money tree is used not only in folk methods of attracting well-being and stability to the house, but also in folk medicine. Its leaves are used in decoctions, tinctures and ointments..
Types of money tree
The fat woman, she is a money tree, she is crassula, is presented in many different types. Almost all of them are unpretentious, grow well in arid conditions, and are suitable for apartments, houses and greenhouses. According to the form and specificity of development, all of them can be divided into three large categories: tree-like, columnar and creeping. The characteristics of each subspecies are directly indicated by its name..
Tree fat women
Treelike bastards can be turned into a real large tree. This category includes the following varieties:
– Tree-like. The classic representative of the family is a tall and tall one and a half meter tree. It is capricious, but very decorative thanks to the unusual bluish shade of the speckled leaves and with a red border..
– Oval. About a meter tall tree with large fleshy leaves and a powerful trunk. Color – deep green with reddish veins and edging.
– Minor. A garden variety with small graceful leaves 1×1.5 cm.It is capricious, grows slowly and necessarily requires high-quality drainage, but at the same time it is bright and unusual.
– Sunset. Another bright bastard with light veins and red edging of green leaves. Unusual beauty is preserved only with an excess of light. To maintain a unique color, decorative varieties reproduce exclusively vegetatively..
– Purslane. The peculiarity of this variety is aerial roots, which here and there sprout on a tree-like trunk. It is a flowering money tree with rare small pink flowers that appear around the ninth year..
– Ovata. This is a classic indoor shrub with a tree-like trunk and round fleshy leaves 3×5 cm. A big plus is resistance to shade. Ovata does not need constant sunlight so much. In the greenhouse, however, this is one of those varieties that willingly bloom. At this time, the money tree is strewn with small pink flowers.
– The Hobbit and Gollum. Interesting varieties, bred by breeders in the seventies and named after the characters of the “Lord of the Rings”. These are miniature types of bonsai and dwarf seedlings. Among themselves, the species differ in the configuration of the foliage. The Hobbit has them turned out, and Gollum has them rolled up..
– Tricolor. An interesting motley fat woman who is appreciated for her appearance. Its leaves are round in shape, with a light strip and with a red border..
Columnar fat women
These are erect bushes that hardly branch. Basically, these are miniature and dwarf varieties. In addition to an interesting appearance, they are unpretentious and suitable even for inexperienced growers..
The sizes and appearance of varieties in this category differ significantly. Here are some examples of subspecies that are most commonly found in homes:
– United. It is a branchy, low succulent. Columnar rosettes and smooth round leaves of a bluish hue grow on the branches. Under direct sunlight, the flower gradually brightens.
– Perforated. Behind the strange name hides an interesting miniature variety with diamond-shaped leaves in yellow stripes..
– Rock. This is a rare tall variety in its category, notable for its branched, fleshy shoots above half a meter. Nature adorned the bluish leaves pointed at the end with rusty stripes.
Creeping fat women
Creeping Crassula is a herbaceous family that fills the empty space almost instantly. An interesting and unusual category, which includes the following varieties:
– Spot. The decorative variety is known for its unusual climbing shoots, uncharacteristic of the money tree. This is one of the smallest varieties. Leaves are especially appreciated: green speckled, with fine pile and purple back of the plate.
– Poor-like. Small money tree for those who love graceful and miniature indoor plants. The average size is about 20 cm. The shoots spread and gradually rise up. Small leaves with their configuration resemble a plow, which is why the fat woman got its name.
– Quadrangular. This variety differs from the previous one in the shape of the leaves. They are fleshy and subulate, of medium length. It is a non-capricious plant that tolerates both shade and sun..
Money tree care
The fat woman is capricious when choosing a place for disembarkation. It is important to avoid drafts and direct sunlight. Drainage is imperative. The plant does not tolerate excess moisture, and a shallow rhizome must be handled as delicately as possible.
But in soil types, the money tree is as unpretentious as possible. These can be specialized mixtures for succulents or ordinary universal soil. It is only important that it is light enough. To improve its quality, it is advisable to introduce professional additives and fertilizers on a monthly basis. The pot can be flat.
The standard watering rate is 1-2 times a week, but the colder the air, the less often you need to water the plant. Make sure that the soil does not clump and loosen it as needed. Fresh air is good for Crassula during the warm season..
For the winter, the fat woman is moved to a cool place. Immediately after that, reduce watering to once a month and a half. In early spring, you can transplant or return the plant to its place. This triggers and stimulates the growing season. It is recommended to transplant every 2-3 years..
Transplant and reproduction of the money tree
Immediately after the purchase, you need to transplant the fat woman into fresh soil. It is better to replant a young plant annually, choosing pots according to the size of the root system. When arranging drainage, instead of expanded clay, pay attention to pebbles or gravel. They are heavier, which means they will balance the volumetric crown and give the tree stability..
The most convenient way to transplant Crassula is the transshipment method. Especially when it comes to massive old trees with delicate rhizomes.
Growing a money tree from seeds at home is pointless. Therefore, layering and cuttings are used..
The first roots appear in water within 10-14 days. Immediately after this, transplant the plant into soil and monitor the moisture content of the soil. A young tree needs more water.
The stalk can be immediately rooted in the ground. First – next to the mother plant, and after that – in separate containers for seedlings.
An unusual way is leaf propagation. To do this, drown it a little with a stalk into the ground, and gradually it will acquire a small root system. However, healthy leaves must be selected and pruned. Those that have fallen off themselves are not suitable for reproduction..
Pest and disease control
The fat woman begins to get sick only when the owners do not follow the rules for caring for a capricious plant. The most common problem is falling foliage. The reasons can be any: too much or too little sun, intensive watering, lack of moisture, overuse of fertilizers, lack of high-quality drainage.
That is why the first step in the treatment of any disease is to stabilize the irrigation and feeding regime..
Money tree (bastard) – photo
We have selected for you the brightest and most interesting pictures of the money tree. See, compare, get inspired and look for options to your liking. Happy viewing!