Sofas with orthopedic mattress (75+ photos)
A sofa with an orthopedic mattress is a great modern version of upholstered furniture for a comfortable sleep, which combines all the best characteristics of a sleeping place. Having appeared on our market not so long ago, this piece of furniture gained popularity among buyers, in which a wide variety of models played an important role. In the article we will consider what are the features and advantages of sofas with an orthopedic mattress, their types, and also give useful tips to help you make the right choice..
A distinctive feature and, in fact, the main advantage of orthopedic sofas is the presence of a special orthopedic surface that is able to keep the human spine in the correct position during sleep or rest. Even if you decide to spend time sitting watching your favorite show, the comfortable design ensures that the load is evenly distributed throughout the body..
The basis of the orthopedic sofa is wooden slats – slats that support the mattress. They can have different widths and locations, but it is the lamellas that provide the high anatomical characteristics of the furniture. Mattresses of orthopedic sofas have a variety of fillers, but latex (natural and synthetic), coconut fleece (coir) and struttofiber containing wool and bamboo fibers are recognized as the best..
One of two types of spring block can be located at the base of the mattress: dependent (all springs are interconnected) and independent, where each spring has its own pocket. Independent systems are recognized as the best, as they provide the best uniform support for the body.
In addition to the above advantages, sofas with an orthopedic mattress have other important advantages, namely:
– Massage effect that promotes better relaxation after a hard day;
– The presence of a special lattice in the design provides excellent two-way ventilation, which excludes the possibility of the appearance of fungus or mold;
– The presence of a reinforced frame that ensures a long service life of the furniture;
– Light weight and dimensions – the sofa can be easily moved by placing it in the required place of the room. When folded, it is quite compact, it can be placed in a studio apartment, where in the daytime it will be furniture for the living area, and at night, using a simple transformation mechanism, it will turn into a comfortable sleeping bed;
– The presence of additional structural elements (boxes, niches) provides additional storage space for bed linen and other accessories;
– A wide variety of models;
– High quality materials – furniture is made of hypoallergenic materials that do not cause negative reactions of the body and do not absorb odors.
Of course, such a list of the advantages of orthopedic sofas cannot leave indifferent even the most inveterate skeptic. However, it is worth considering one significant drawback – the high cost, which is much higher than the price of conventional structures, especially if the model has orthopedic pillows for sleeping or additional functions for adjusting the slats, light massage, etc..
Types of sofas with an orthopedic mattress
Today there is a large selection of orthopedic sofas. Models differ in different ways, they can have different sizes – from the smallest children’s sofas to spacious boxes. Also, sofas are different in shape – depending on the layout of the room and the convenience of placement, you can choose a linear or angular design. But the main difference still lies in the transformation mechanisms, according to which such most popular models are distinguished as:
1. “Book”. The design of such a sofa is familiar to most of us, since it has been on the market for quite a long time and is considered classic. To turn the sofa into a spacious sleeping bed, you need to raise the seat high until the backrest is horizontal. After that, you need to lower the seat itself, slightly pressing on it. Over the years, the sofa-book has acquired new ways of transformation, for example, one of them involves a model where you need to pull out the seat, and the backrest drops into place on its own.
2. “Eurobook”. This type of sofa can be called the evolution of the classic “book”. The essence of the layout is that all pillows are removed from the sofa, the seat is pulled out using a special cord, and the back is inserted into the vacated space. This mechanism is found to be more reliable.
3. “Dolphin”. Most often, this method of transformation can be found in corner structures, although some linear sofas can also boast of it. The idea of the layout is the presence of a pull-out unit, with the help of which the sofa is converted into a bed..
4. “Click-gag”. The design of the sofa received this name because of the characteristic sound that the furniture makes when unfolding. To get a berth, you need to lift the seat up until it clicks, and then lower it. The advantage of this type of sofas is the absence of a gap between the seat and the back, so that the sleeping place remains completely flat. If the model has armrests, they must be folded out first..
5. “Accordion”. The transformation of an accordion sofa is quite simple – you need to raise the seat and, with some effort, pull it towards you, then the mechanism will work on its own. During the process, the sleeping place stretches like an accordion, which is why the model got its name. There is a compartment for linen in the backrest area, and the mechanism itself is considered quite stable.
6. “French clamshell”. The sleeping platform in such models is represented by three compartments. If you want to unfold the sofa, you need to pull the edge of the seat towards you. These sofas are good for occasional use, but not for everyday use, as the mechanism wears out quickly. In addition, the surface has, though small, but still irregularities, but when folded, such furniture is quite compact.
7. “American clamshell”, or “sedaflex”. This view is similar to the previous one (“French clamshell”). The difference is that there are only two sections, not three, and the mattress is much thicker..
This variety of models allows you to choose the most suitable option for individual use. If the sofa is bought for a child, it is important to consider that children grow up rather quickly, and it is advisable to immediately take a larger model. As for the layout mechanism, then, as practice shows, children are much easier to cope with such models as “dolphin” or “American clamshell”.
How to choose an orthopedic sofa
The choice of a sofa with an orthopedic mattress must be approached especially scrupulously, because the state of health, mood and energy for the whole next day largely depends on how comfortable the sleeping bed will be..
First of all, decide on the size – the sofa should harmoniously “fit” into the environment, without creating a clutter in the room. When unfolded, the sleeping place should be spacious enough, so even before buying it is better to lie down and check the comfort of the furniture, as they say, “on your own skin.” It is also necessary to first make the necessary measurements of the room where the sofa will be installed. This takes into account both the required area for folded furniture and the availability of space for a complete layout..
Further, we pay special attention to the operation of the transformation mechanism, during which there should be no extraneous noise, squeaks, and the processes of unfolding and folding should be easy and smooth, without difficulty.
When choosing an orthopedic sofa, it is important to pay attention to the rigidity of the mattress – it should correspond to the age and build of the person who will sleep on it. For example, harder mattresses are recommended for schoolchildren, which contribute to the formation of correct posture and the prevention of scoliosis. Elderly people, especially women, are advised to sleep on softer mattresses. If orthopedic pillows are purchased along with the sofa, it also does not hurt to “test” them before buying by lying on them for a quarter of an hour. Incorrectly selected pillow height can lead to headaches, migraines, problems with the vertebrae of the cervical spine.
Choosing a sofa with an orthopedic mattress, it is important to correctly choose its color and shape, since the furniture will act as a significant element of the interior. The sofa can harmoniously support the overall design, merging into a common palette, or, conversely, become a contrasting element. This technique, when a bright sofa delimits the living room or bedroom, is often used in studio apartments. Furniture should correspond to the basic concept of the interior design style, for example, for a classic design, a sofa with a traditional shape (rectangular or rounded), a slightly curved back and armrests is suitable. The color palette is usually restrained: white-gray, beige-brown with the presence of retro prints.
The exact opposite is represented by orthopedic sofas in minimalist directions, where the models have a rather laconic look. There is practically no decor here, everything is stylish, comfortable and elegant.
Modern is distinguished by the presence of expensive materials, smooth lines, wavy contours, natural motives in the decorations. An orthopedic sofa in this direction can have leather upholstery or made of high quality natural fabric. The color palette is completely varied – from pastels to rich contrasting tones.
Today in the stores you can buy furniture from both domestic and foreign manufacturers. European models are especially popular – this is due to the high level of control in these countries over the quality of the furniture produced. Of course, it has a higher cost, but by purchasing such a sofa with an orthopedic mattress, you can be sure that the furniture will last a long time and will not harm your health. Among the furniture companies involved in the production of orthopedic sofas, the most popular and trustworthy ones are:
Busnelli is an Italian manufacturing company that offers a wide range of high-end furniture. Here you can find models of different types of transformation (“dolphin”, “click-clack”, “eurobook”) with hardy mechanisms, comfortable orthopedic mattresses and exquisite design;
Anderssen is a Russian company engaged in the production of high quality furniture. Orthopedic sofas are resistant to mechanical stress, mechanisms are distinguished by a long service life, as, in fact, mattresses, which will last at least 15 years;
Bali is a factory in Germany that produces excellent models of orthopedic sofas, most of which are exported to Switzerland and other European countries. A distinctive feature of the furniture is the presence of a high quality orthopedic lattice and orthopedic mattress of the world famous Medicott factory. The assortment includes interesting models that, when transformed, turn into two separate beds;
VOX is a Polish company, whose furniture is not inferior in quality, but has a fairly reasonable price compared to the goods of other European brands, and maintains a leading position in its country;
Pinskdrev is a Belarusian manufacturer that produces both budget and luxury models. The factory has existed since the end of the 19th century, tirelessly confirming the high quality of its products in great demand..
Sofas with orthopedic mattress – photo
We suggest continuing the further review in our gallery. Here we tried to collect the best photos of various models of sofas with an orthopedic mattress, among which you can choose the most suitable option for yourself. Happy viewing!