The use of copper sulfate for gardening
Copper sulfate was used for processing plants in the garden as early as the 18th century. A solution of this blue powder has an antibacterial effect on the plant. “Bordeaux liquid”, which contains copper sulfate, is used by gardeners as a fungicide to combat mold and rot.
Danger of the drug
Copper sulfate is a substance poisonous to humans and other living organisms. It belongs to moderately hazardous chemical compounds and has an irritating effect on contact with the skin and mucous membranes. The chemical formula of this blue powder is CuSO4, another name is copper sulfate.
Copper sulfate is toxic, getting into the stomach along with drinking water, it causes severe poisoning. The lethal dose of a five percent solution for humans is 50 ml. In case of poisoning, you must drink a sorbent and consult a doctor.
Crystals of copper sulfate, in solid or dissolved form, are able to be absorbed through the skin.
Therefore, when working with copper sulfate solution, it is very important to wear long-sleeved clothing, gloves and goggles. Spraying of fruit trees is carried out in dry, calm weather. Do not let the solution get into the drinking water well.
Use stainless steel or plastic dishes to prepare the copper sulfate solution. It is not advisable to use enameled dishes, as the drug corrodes enamel.
Copper sulfate solution concentration
Copper sulfate is widely used in gardening. You can use solutions of various concentrations, depending on the purpose of treatment:
- prophylactic and disinfecting;
Burnout solutions are used to combat mold. In extreme cases, the soil is treated with such solutions in order to disinfect it. After treatment with a burning solution, cultivated plants cannot be grown on the site for at least a year. The concentration of the burning solution is 3 – 5%.
The concentration of the prophylactic and disinfecting solution is 0.5 – 1%. Spraying with such a solution is carried out in the spring and autumn. Disinfectant solutions are used as insecticides and fungicides.
Low concentration solutions are used for feeding. Add 2-3 g of copper sulfate to 10 liters of water. Such solutions are widely used for signs of copper deficiency in plants. Top dressing is carried out every ten days for a month. After treatment with copper sulfate, the color of the leaves of garden plants will become bright. Leaves will not curl and dry.