Shabby chic style apartment. How to decorate: Shabby chic in the interior. 210+ (Photo) for bedroom, kitchen, living room
Shabby chic is a style that will give your interior a special zest. Add some accessories to see the difference after updates. Find out how best to use colors, how to arrange furniture correctly. And with all this, do not forget about the decoration of the walls, floor and ceiling. Everything in detail for an atmosphere of comfort in your apartment further in the article.
History of creation
Shabby chic in the interior looks impressive and interesting. The style is young – he is hardly more than thirty years old. It was invented by a lady named Rachel Asheville, an eccentric person with good taste. It all started with a simple hobby – Rachel bought old, but expensive and luxurious furniture at flea markets or via the Internet, and processed it.
Shabby chic in the living room
Sometimes I updated it. Sometimes – artificially aged. Sometimes – completely changed the design.
And then she either sold it again or included it in the interior of her own room, carefully matching one item to another. The result was photographed and posted on the Internet. Gradually, photos began to gain popularity. The new style looked chic, but not too pretentious. It was not only pleasant to look at, but also to live in it..
People began to decorate their homes in the same style, and shabby chic soon became the official design direction..
Shabby gloss but presentable
General concept and colors
From English, the phrase “shabby ckic” can be translated as “shabby chic” – this is how this style is easiest to describe. Beautiful, expensive items – furniture, small accessories, textiles – are artificially aged and combined so that, as a result, the room looks cozy, shabby, but also somewhat pretentious.
The main danger of shabby chic is the wrong combination. If you use too many things, if the color is poorly chosen or the space is cluttered, the result will not be a beautifully decorated spacious room, but something like a grandmother’s attic, into which all unnecessary trash is crammed.
The main thing is to correctly combine everything in the interior and not to overdo it.
The main color of shabby chic is White. The color of simplicity and innocence, it visually expands the space, and also serves as an excellent background for other colors, including:
- mint – the color is soft, restrained and soothing;
- beige – the color is warm, soft and cozy;
- cream – similar to the color of whipped cream;
- pink – that delicate shade of it, which is often used for children bedrooms;
- peach – pink with the addition of yellow, delicate and pleasant;
- sky blue – the only truly cold shabby chic flower;
- colors of natural materials – red bricks, natural wood and stone.
All colors in this style are pastel and cozy.
All shabby chic colors are soft, delicate, pastel, soothing and creating a feeling of coziness. If you love contrast, brightness and sharpness, this style is not for you..
It is also interesting that you can not be afraid to overload the interior with them. They are so well chosen that they can look great all together – if the main color is white, and the rest are in small quantities, as accents.
The classic pattern for the room is roses
In addition to flowers, shabby chic also has a classic pattern – roses. They can be anywhere, but there shouldn’t be too many of them and they should be one of the primary colors..
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: Neoclassicism in the interior: A regal setting framed by the latest technology (340 + Photos)
The right finish is the first step in decorating any style.
In shabby chic, the following finishing solutions are acceptable ceiling:
- Dyeing. The paint is not afraid of water, but also does not “breathe”. As a result, there is usually a heavy atmosphere in the room, especially if the region where you live is high in humidity. In addition, it is inconvenient to apply it if there is no habit – you need to work by raising your hand above your head. But the paint does not burn, it lasts for a long time, it comes in different shades and is sold at very different prices..
- Plaster. It is denser than paint, which means it is easier to work with. It looks no worse. Usually has a rough texture on which to draw patterns. He is afraid of moisture, but he also “breathes” – as a result, the atmosphere in the room is better.
A popular type of ceiling finish is painting
- Wooden panels. A classic interior solution that looks good. However, the panels are expensive and need periodic treatment, as they are afraid of water, vermin and hardly tolerate temperature changes..
- Whitewash. Not relevant at the present time, but great for shabby chic. Afraid of moisture, does not like sudden changes in temperature.
The ceiling may look worn out as if it were many years old. But at the same time, the scuff should not be sloppy – if the paint leaves, it should come off neatly, and not in clumps, for example.
You can add a little scuff to the ceiling
You can also decorate the walls in different ways.. To do this, use:
- Wallpaper. It is desirable that they resemble ordinary paper wallpaper, with a small pattern of roses. In this case, in fact, it should be either wallpaper with glass or non-woven wallpaper, otherwise they will have to be changed in just a couple of years.
- Dye. It is much more convenient to apply it on the walls than on the ceiling, and it looks no worse. In addition, if you have a penchant for creativity, you can always paint it with patterns or drawings..
- Decorative plaster. Not only looks beautiful, but also pleasant to the touch. It comes in different colors, the pattern on it can be made arbitrary, with a simple spatula. Not afraid of water, parasites too.
- Lining. Wooden panels for all walls will not work – for shabby chic it is too old-fashioned, too boring. But you can decorate one wall with them, and then make the tree look worn. Periodically, the paint on it will have to be renewed – without proper treatment, the tree quickly begins to suffer from humidity, from dryness, from temperature changes or raids of parasites.
- Brick. Also, as with a wall, it cannot be applied to all walls at once, but works great for one wall. It will look pretty, is not afraid of anything, especially if you use a high-quality solution.
Wall decoration with wallpaper – of course, with a pattern with roses
AdviceWalls should also look worn, but not messy..
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: Modern Italian style (230+ Photos): Renewed immortal luxury (kitchen, living room, bedroom design)
Finishing sex gravitates towards natural materials. This could be:
- A rock. Looks good (except for the lack of color variety and the lack of bright shades in principle), is not afraid of any external conditions at all, can serve for decades. The only drawback, besides the price, is the weight. Even if you live on the ground floor or in your own house, you will have to calculate whether the stone tiles your floors.
- Wood. Parquet is a capricious material, but shabby, old boards are also suitable for shabby chic. However, they should be laid neatly, should not deform and go in waves. They will need to be looked after – varnished or waxed from time to time. Then they will not be afraid of moisture and temperature changes. They will burn, however, all the same, therefore, it is better not to drop lighted matches.
Floor finishing is mainly done with natural materials.
Shabby chic does not accept other materials – no linoleum, no artificial tiles and, of course, forget about the shiny, bright-looking, laminate.
AdviceFloor scuffs will gradually form by themselves. You don’t need to do anything for her.
When the redecoration is finished – the walls are covered with wallpaper, there is parquet on the floor, the ceiling is plastered – the room is ready to give it a real gloss.
Shabby effect looks good in any room
The main requirement for furniture in the style of shabby chic – it will not work to buy it in mass stores like the same Ikea.
This is the beauty of style and its disadvantage..
The ideal scenario for buying furniture looks like this:
- you look on the Internet at antiques sites, at sites where people give away old things or at any flea market in reality;
- choose the furniture that you like – a pretty empire style chest of drawers, a classic bed with a carved headboard;
- you ennoble furniture – you clean it from stains, paint it again, then artificially age it.
Cozy furniture in the interior of the balcony
If you have neither the time nor the desire for flea markets, you can buy furniture with a pretense of antiquity and age it, but this is more difficult and you need to try so that a dresser bought in a store looks as chic as a dresser that has served forty years hand-made, yet still sturdy.
AdviceIf you have money, but you don’t have a penchant for creativity, you can find people who will not only choose the right furniture, but also process it correctly..
Choosing furniture for the design style
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: Country Kitchen Design – Modern Spirit in a Contemporary Interior (225+ Photos)
Lighting should be plentiful – a white interior, even without thoughtful light, seems spacious, and if you put in a little effort, the result will be magical.
You can use:
- Chandeliers. Usually they choose a chandelier in the Baroque or classic style, with graceful forged elements, with crystal pendants, large and imposing. The main thing is to buy not a crudely made fake, but a truly elegant and beautiful lamp. Place a chandelier in the middle of the ceiling.
- Sconce. Wall lamps also need to be selected in classic styles – with graceful legs, with lampshades made of glass, fabric or metal. They should look pretentious, give warm, yellow light. You can place them where you need to emphasize – in the bedroom above bed, in kitchen above the working area.
- Floor lamp. If the room has a seating area, a floor lamp is a must. It should be tall, with a fabric shade in roses. It should be convenient to read under it.
- Tabletop lamp. In the bedroom is placed on the bedside little table, in living room on the coffee table, in the kitchen on the dining table. Lamps with a metal base and a glass or fabric shade are well suited. The light should also be warm, it is good if roses appear in the decor.
Light is very important for this style.
And, of course, we mustn’t forget about natural light. Windows should be large (if you have the ability to influence their size), easy to open and provide plenty of light. They also need the right textiles..
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: Provence Style Bathroom Design – gentle romance for body and soul (205+ Photos)
Textiles in shabby chic also play an important role – fit into this style:
- Carpets. A little shabby, with a vegetable or geometric pattern, they complement the interior well, plus they help you stay warm in winter on the stone tile floor.
- Curtains. Should be lightweight, made of natural fabrics. It will be difficult to wash them, but they will look good and also let in a lot of light. Lambrequins, garters and a combination of curtains with curtains are not recommended. The simpler the better, and it is desirable for the fabric to flow and lay down in beautiful folds..
- Tablecloth. A good solution for a kitchen or dining room if you have one. Natural fabrics, white color, a pattern of roses around the edge – you will have to wash such a tablecloth often, but it will look good..
- Decorative pillows. Also made of natural fabrics, soft, with patterns, they fit perfectly into the interior of a bedroom or living room. In the bedroom they will decorate the bed, in the living room sofa or armchair.
- Cover. Will look great on the sofa in the living room or on the bed in the bedrooms.
Textiles play an important role in decoration
Knitted and lace napkins may also look good, but there should be very few of them – literally a couple of pieces per room. Otherwise, the interior will not look cozy, but overloaded..
AdviceDon’t overuse textiles in general. The interior itself should be visible under it..
And, of course, you can’t do without accessories that will complement the interior until the final completion.. Shabby chic fits well:
- large clock – floor or wall, with a pendulum, semi-antique;
- mirrors – and not ordinary, but in three-dimensional frames with a floral pattern;
- sculptures and busts – only in large rooms, and only if you like a particular bust or sculpture, otherwise it will look bulky and annoying;
- caskets – it is good if such a box is decorated with a pattern of roses;
- candlesticks – it does not matter, made of real bronze or made in bronze, it is important that they look good;
- dolls – classic, porcelain, in fluffy dresses and with impassive faces;
- tableware – it should have a pattern of roses, and in the kitchen you can hang cooking tools with a pretense of antiquity.
Accessories will not harm the overall style of the room
VIDEO: Beautiful interiors in shabby chic style
Shabby chic, despite its youth, is already recognizable and very interesting style. Add some chic and sparkle to your interior.