How to make a flower bed with your own hands (step by step instructions)
Step-by-step instructions for making a flower bed for those who, without solid investments, decided to make a small piece of land a paradise, investing their soul and strength.
You can’t forget the gorgeous flowerbed that you recently saw at your friends’s homestead plot. Plants and flowers seem to be familiar to the eyes, but their combinations and simplicity are simply amazing! You can also create your own project, the design of which will be inherent in your worldview. How can this be done? Read on and see that you can do everything.
There are certain principles in the design of any flower bed or flower garden, the observance of which will help increase their perception and attractiveness. A little about them. It is necessary to decide:
- What colors should be made predominant;
- Will the flowerbed be a place of continuous flowering or only for a certain period of time;
- Plants, which crops it is desirable to give preference to – one species or several;
- Which of the prospective plants are similar in terms of soil, lighting, climate and humidity requirements;
- When the flowering period begins and ends;
- What shape would you like to see a flower bed.
You shouldn’t be intimidated by a lot of advice. Making a flower bed in the country will give a lot of positive emotions to both the owner and his loved ones.
Advice! First, decide how much time and effort you are really willing to spend on caring for flowers. If you understand that the resources of your capabilities are clearly limited, then you should dwell on those plants that do not require daily attention. Or use the services of a gardener.
See flower beds from tires original ideas with photos and videos!
Planting density is calculated and a plan is drawn up
For a better idea of how to make a flower bed with your own hands, it is good to draw up a plan, preferably using graph paper for this. Do not be lazy to paint the planting sites of future plants with the color scheme that you would like to see.
How many plants to plant per 1 sq. m is calculated as follows:
- Tall and large plants – from 1 to 3 pcs.;
- Medium-sized, compact – from 4 to 7 pcs.;
- Low-growing – up to 10-11 pcs.;
- Decorative ground cover – up to 10-15 pieces.
The plan must indicate the number of plants and the names of their crops.
Advice! Try to plant the plants asymmetrically. This will give a natural fit. They should be planted so that there is room for them to grow..
Transferring the plan to a plot of land
Using a measuring tape, rope and pegs mark the boundaries of the future flower bed. Inside, the top layer of soil is removed by about 20-25 cm. It is carefully dug up, cleaned of roots, weeds and other foreign elements – stones, glass, etc..
Depending on the state of the soil, the necessary substances are added – sand, peat, humus, and, according to the instructions, mineral fertilizers. Then it is leveled and lightly tamped..
Beautifully designed borders will help to make the flower bed individual, revealing the character and way of thinking of its owner. The material can be completely different – decorative borders, which are purchased in stores, stone, plastic bottles turned upside down, brick, homemade wicker fences made of willow, etc. Then they mark the places of planting flowers.
Planting plants on a flower bed
Depending on the type of plants, some are planted in a flower bed in the form of seedlings, others are sown with seeds. The distance between the seeds must match the planting pattern.
Advice! To avoid additional transplants that negatively affect the plants, it is necessary to arrange the pots with seedlings at the intended places and make sure that everything corresponds to the planned arrangement of planting flowers and shrubs..
Seedlings should be planted as follows:
- Water it abundantly 15-20 minutes before planting;
- Take a glass in your left hand, and grasp it from above with your right palm so that the stem of the flower is between your fingers;
- Gently turn the glass upside down with your left hand, holding the lump of earth with the plant with your right hand;
- Pressing lightly on the glass, we remove the seedlings from it, while we do not pull out the stem – it just lies on the palm;
- We place a clod with a root system in the prepared watered hole;
- We spill the seedling abundantly with water.
Further care for the planted plants consists in weeding, loosening, timely watering and treatment against diseases. In addition, taking into account the peculiarities of ornamental shrubs and flowers, their timely formation should be carried out – pruning, pinching, etc..
Note! Before planting, the rhizome of a mature bush, if its features permit, should be divided into several parts. This will allow it to settle down better. Old plants do not tolerate transplanting well.
Making a flower bed with your own hands step by step is simple. The tips in this article will help you with this..