Racks for rooms of various functionality: 220 + Photos Convenient zoning for the nursery, living room
Shelves are versatile furniture with the function of decoration, zoning and storage of things. A wide selection of models will not confuse you if you know the design tricks. Find out what types of shelving are there and their benefits. Use our recommendations and you will definitely make the room comfortable and cozy.
Contents of this article:
Types and benefits of shelving
By their design, racks are divided into two types:
- shelving walls.
Frame type Is a standard rack design with shelves, installed on floor without additional fastening to the wall, lightweight. Shelving walls – a whole group of models with a back wall, they are installed along the wall and additionally fastened with self-tapping screws.
Shelves are versatile furniture with a decorative function
Frame racks in the role of partitions should not be bulky. It is forbidden to pile them up with a large number of things, so as not to provoke falls. Shelving walls for storing personal belongings, they are actively used in rooms.
The positive aspects include the following factors:
- simple assembly of the structure – no need to invite an assembler to the house furniture, what saves the family budget;
- the rack does not take up much space – even if it is used by a partition for zoning a room;
- storage of things in visible accessibility – family members will not lose little things (remote control TV, keys);
- an alternative for dividing the room into zones – saving space and space, additional storage space;
- low prices – they are used instead of standard walls and TV stands in living room.
Children’s room design
Shelves become an addition or basis of the interior embodied in the room.. It is only important to follow the recommendations for the “easy” location of the structure.
Racks are used by designers for zoning rooms and providing storage space. Furniture allows you to combine both functions, where zoning is the main. Here they are guided by the rules:
- the design divides the space into two zones if you put it in the middle of the room;
- visually zoning the room, placing the rack along the wall – to indicate the purpose of the zone, place the corresponding elements on the wall (figurines, books, equipment);
- the rack replaces the standard closet – wardrobe items, books, long-term storage items are placed on its shelves;
- if you are using a back wall design, it will replace the blind baffle.
Functional storage furniture
Structures are the main furniture, which is placed along the wall. The rack will be used as a place to store your own things..
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: TV shelf on the wall (295+ Photos): Design nuances (hinged, corner, glass)
Open models are a connection between the frame base and shelves. They are placed near the wall. Designers and manufacturers call standard shelves, arranged according to a stylistic scheme, as open shelving..
The presented models are used in small rooms. For design mobility, choose racks on wheels. They are operated carefully, the constantly changing arrangement eliminates the problems of small space.
Open models are a connection of the frame base and shelves
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: Bathroom cabinet-case (130+ Photos): Models that you did not know about (floor, corner, hanging)
- Shelf-transformer – mounted on the wall, can change shape and size. Buy if you plan to change your home environment frequently. The disadvantage of the presented type is the ability to withstand a small weight.
- Cylinders – stylistic constructions rotating around their axis. Choose in a situation if a problematic location in the room is expected, but with a desire to place more things. Rotating the shelves will provide access to items.
A shelf that performs the function of zoning
- Built-in shelves – niches are made for them in the wall, literally 20-30 cm deep.Rejecting standard cabinets, you save space in the room and get an attractive design element.
- Step models – are placed along adjacent walls with a base in the corner of the room. Stepped design visually saves space and allows you to accommodate a lot of things.
For small areas, these models are the best, but when placed on the floor, you should not pile up its surface with other bulky furniture..
Choose models for the embodied style in the interior. Style high tech and minimalism welcomes stepped corner models, loft – transformer shelves, and correctly executed cylinders can complement the Baroque and Empire style.
Choose models for the embodied style in the interior
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: How to choose a desk with drawers and a shelf: (190+ Photos) Practically organizing the space
Floor racks are used for zoning rooms – they are placed across the room if you want to allocate a separate area for special purposes. Use floor models in the following situations:
- It is better to place the ones against the wall in the bedroom or living room in the library area – the shelves are filled with books or other items.
- Zoning models come in high or half height ceiling. The half rack will additionally act as a table or stand for constantly used items.
- In a small bedroom, replace a bulky chest of drawers with shelving..
- Set up a tall or half rack in your child’s room for toys and baby supplies.
Please note that the use of shelving for zoning space must be done with the obligatory additional fastening to the floor.. Furniture should be fastened to the floor not only if there are small children in the house, but also animals that are actively playing indoors..
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: How to make DIY shelves in a room interior? (230+ Photos) A selection of Beautiful and modern ideas
Shelves are often used to accommodate books and are placed in a library or guest room with a designated seating area. Next to such furniture are chairs or a small sofa with pillows.
But they approach the choice of a model thoroughly, for which use the following recommendations:
- Bookshelves – the rack is created by attaching individual shelves, which occurs in different directions (vertically, horizontally and diagonally). It is important to pay attention to the mount used to avoid the shelf falling and causing injury. It is better to place on the shelves such books that are currently used in reading..
Most often, such products are used for books.
- Open bookcase – This is a standard structure, located both along the wall and across it in a certain part of the room. This is how the area is divided into several zones. Thanks to the transparent partition, the area is not “eaten away”.
- Closed rack – two models are considered here. One is a standard design with glazed doors, the other is a shelving unit with a wall in the back. The first type is placed along the wall, the second with a partition to divide the area into zones.
AdviceIt is recommended to place the book rack in the living room, bedroom or hallway, if it is permissible in terms of area. It is better if the furniture is in harmony with the recreated interior – in color, style, texture, location. Wrap the books in special paper of the color that is used in the design of the room – choose a shade to match the color used in textiles.
It is recommended to place the bookcase in the living room, bedroom or hallway
Recommendations for use in rooms
Check out the tips from designers who place shelving in the rooms of the house with minimal wasted floor space.
In the living room
Shelves are often found in the living room – furniture is used as a full-fledged paraphernalia for storing things that favorably emphasize the chosen design style. With the help of the presented design, they save the area of the room and visually increase the space, for which they refuse bulky cabinets or “walls”. Whatever the purpose of the application, the style of the selected model should be suitable for the interior design being implemented..
Creative storage solution
Racks are actively used to separate space in a studio apartment or in a one-room living space, when there is a need to allocate a sleeping area or a work area. In this case, the model is selected in accordance with the interior in color and design..
It is also important to pay attention to the dimensions – to enclose a certain area, install the rack in half the width of the “doorway” intended for the passage. One side of the rack is placed against the wall.
Determine the height of the furniture in the same way – the height can be half the height of the ceiling or slightly lower, but not higher (this looks ridiculous).
Souvenirs will look beautiful on such a shelf.
In the bedroom
It is generally accepted that the shelving in the bedroom should only be used to store books or frames with photographs. But with the right choice of design – loft, minimalism, Scandinavian style – store your own things and bed linen on the shelves. Choose attractive and harmonious storage boxes lined with twine and other coarse fabric. In them, put hosiery and other wardrobe items, neatly folded bedding.
In the nursery
In children’s racks, they are used for zoning or storing children’s toys. At zoning it is important to take precautions and construct racks yourself from beams and peeled boards with attachment to the floor, wall and ceiling. Zoning is used to separate the sleeping area and the working.
In the nursery, this furniture is used for zoning or storing children’s toys.
Additionally, place numerous shelves on a free wall, which will help to embody the conceived interior style. Such racks must be properly attached to the wall in order to prevent them from falling if the child wants to climb them. Storing books on shelves make it fun – arrange them by color.
In the hall
If the area and width of the hallway allows, place the racks along a free solid wall. Place wardrobe items on the shelves received – hats, gloves, hats, scarves, handbags and other accessories that are worn before leaving the house. Store shoes in the lower bins by packing them in identical boxes, previously prepared for the style of the hallway.
Living room in classic style
In the dressing room
You cannot do without shelving in the dressing room – this is replacing the shelves of a standard cabinet where things, bed linen, blankets and other attributes are stored. Think over the shape and location of the shelves – along which walls, with large or small cells, they should be. Everything will depend on the nature of the clothes and storage items, so first collect the things that you will place in the dressing room..
The shelving in the bathroom is conveniently placed along with the available free space. In a small room, a small number of shelves are installed above sink or bathroom from the side of the plumbing tap. Personal hygiene products are stored on such shelves..
Stylish room zoning
If you have a large area, place a floor rack in the bathroom. Shelves – store towels, spare hygiene products, decorative soaps, etc.. At the bottom, place a closed narrow basket or box where you put dirty laundry.
Shelves are placed on the loggia against a free wall to store things or to complement the interior. In summer there are flowerpots with flowers, in winter – things that do not deteriorate from temperature extremes. The rack is painted according to the style of the chosen interior for decoration loggias.
In summer, they rest at the shelves with books in their hands, which are stored on the shelves. With this choice, the shelf must be protected from sunlight. If this is not possible, wrap the books in a protective cover..
Video: Beautiful options with shelving in the interior
The racks are functional, so do not give up on them, but also do not overload the room. Remember that a large number of shelves only look relevant along the wall; when placed across, it is important to limit the storage space. When choosing a model, consider all the pros and cons of furniture..