Doors with glass inserts: 180+ (Photo) plastic, wood and aluminum options (entrance, interior, compartment)
Doors with glass, the photo of which usually looks very impressive, are different. First, decide what they are for. It is very important to understand the material of manufacture so that later they can meet your requirements for a long time. More details on materials, features and selection later in the article.
Contents of this article:
Entrance and interior, from different materials, with different glass used for inserts. In the interior, they can perform different functions:
- aesthetic – a canvas with a glass insert looks much more interesting and effective than a solid one, even with patterns;
- visual – so, in the case of an entrance door, you can look out through the glass inserts without using the peephole;
- lighting – light and the door can penetrate through the glass, thus, it will act as an additional source of illumination.
Glass doors look much better than solid leaf doors
The first function is relevant for interior designs too, the other two are only for entrance. In any case, in order for it to look beautiful, impressive, fit well into the interior, serve for many years, you will have to delve into what it can be like and how it will differ from others.
AND glass, and the material of the canvas has different properties that must be taken into account.
A canvas with a glass insert looks much more interesting and impressive
Plastic are quite common, and they are used both as entrance and as interior. They are usually made from polyvinyl chloride, they have the following advantages:
- Price. Plastic is inexpensive like most synthetic materials. In fact, plastic will cost less than even a frame made of chipboard.
- Sustainability. Plastic does not suffer from water, is not afraid of temperature changes, does not fade in the sun. It is not eaten by insects and rodents, it does not absorb liquid.
- Variety of colors. Despite the fact that plastic is usually made white, you can buy any other color – from fake natural wood to black.
- Heat insulation and noise insulation. The plastic seal is fitted so tightly that it provides the best noise insulation possible – if the plastic door leads to balcony, it is enough to close it so that the street noise is completely cut off. The same is with thermal insulation – through serviceable fittings, heat does not go away at all, even if the canvas is almost completely made of a double-glazed window..
Beautiful interior doors
Of course, there are also downsides:
- Simplicity. No patterns are made on plastic, it is not textured, it looks cheap. You can’t put it in classic styles, otherwise it will look alien.
- Lack of mechanical stability. Plastic cracks easily if you hit it hard – and it’s hard to repair.
- Low protection class. It doesn’t matter in the case of interior doors. But if we are talking about the entrance, everything changes – plastic is easier to open than wood or, moreover, steel.
Plastic partition that serves as a door
Plastic with glass are used:
- as entrance – not too often, but if you have a private house and the main line of defense lies at the level of the fence, no one will stop you from putting plastic;
- as interroom – sometimes, because they still do not look as beautiful as the others;
- as a balcony or back door – a very common application, since this way safety does not suffer from a low class of protection, but sound insulation and thermal insulation are provided.
AdvicePut plastic in modern styles. Or if sound insulation and thermal insulation are more important to you than other parameters.
Plastic does not suffer from water, is not afraid of temperature changes
Wooden ones are also different – it is either a solid canvas or a frame. They look similar, but they are made differently and their properties are also different:
Made of a frame, which is filled with a sealant, on which a chipboard sheet is hung from above, or MDF. They are inexpensive, they look good. Lightweight, which means ease of installation, and also very flexible – if you put a good seal in such a door, its soundproof and heat-insulating qualities will be no worse than any other.
Wood product for a large house
In this case, a one-piece shield is not hung on the frame – thin boards and panels are inserted into the voids in it. This one is more reliable than the shield, it looks somewhat more interesting because of the relief, which can be very bizarre. But you can not expect thermal insulation and sound insulation from it – heat and sounds penetrate through the places where the panels are attached to the frame.
Thin horizontal slats are hung on the rectangular frame of the frame. It looks minimalistic, beautiful and very reliable in practice. In addition, this shit is easy to repair – if one rail fails, you can replace it with another. But such doors also do not succeed in soundproofing and thermal insulation, and also differ in severity – it can be difficult to install them..
On the frame, in which two vertical wooden blocks are fixed, an additional thin strip of glass is hung – also vertically. The result looks strict and interesting. Differs in strength, normal sound insulation and thermal insulation, but also very heavy – they usually have to be brought into the apartment with the help of a couple of movers.
For entrance doors, either panel structures or a solid array are used.
The only construction that is made of solid wood – no frames. Very reliable, since the tree is difficult to damage, very heavy, since it usually weighs a lot too. It is distinguished by beauty and nobility, but it requires complex and costly processing in order to acquire stability, and therefore it is expensive.
For the entrance, either panelboard structures or a solid array are used – the rest are too beautiful to be displayed on the landing or in the courtyard. In addition, they do not have too much resistance to burglary..
Perfect for a classic interior
AdviceIf you have budget difficulties, buy a shield instead of a solid block. In appearance, it will be practically indistinguishable (especially for a person who does not understand wood professionally), and its cost is much lower.
Metal ones are not placed between rooms – it is too expensive, and besides, it is not convenient because of the severity. But as input, they are unmatched.. They have the following advantages:
- Durability. If plastic lasts ten years, and wood fifteen, then metal can stand in your home for up to half a century..
- Safety. Metal has the highest possible protection class.
- Sustainability. The metal door is not afraid of moisture, pests, or fire.
Metal doors are expensive – this is one of their main disadvantages..
They are also very heavy, which makes installation difficult and, even worse, have very low sound and thermal insulation values. Often, only an additional layer of insulation helps prevent the penetration of cold and extraneous sounds into the house – and from time to time it has to be changed..
AdviceOne-piece metal sheet looks boring and strict. But the canvas with glass immediately begins to look much more interesting..
It will be interesting for you:
Glass for inserts can also be very different – after all, there are numerous processing methods, the results of which differ in order.
So, for large inserts, it makes sense to use the following types:
- Triplex. Thick glass, which is obtained by gluing several sheets together with a transparent film. It looks as good as any other and is often used for car windshields. It is almost impossible to break it, and even if it happens by some miracle, it will only crack, and not crumble.
- Reinforced. Inside, such glass has a metal mesh, which makes it look like it is broken into small squares. It is impossible to break it in principle – several squares can fly out on impact, but nothing else will happen.
When a dark door in the interior acts as an accent
- Tempered. Such glass is obtained when the most commonly sheet glass is calcined in a special oven. It is difficult to break it, but if it does work out, the fragments will be large, with blunt edges. Less reliable than reinforced or triplex, but cheaper.
Other types of glass are suitable for glass inserts of different sizes – they break and, accordingly, a burglar can penetrate through them if they are larger than the recommended.
- Acrylic glass. In fact, it is transparent plastic – thin, light, transparent and seemingly almost indistinguishable from the real thing. When you try to hit it, it cracks, but only if the blow was very strong. Easy to process, easy to paint, cheaper than any other variety.
- Sheet. This glass is made from sand and has been used since time immemorial. It is transparent, it can be uneven, it has no special properties. Easily breaks into small fragments that can dig under the skin. It is used only for the smallest inserts, as it is dangerous for the large ones..
- Float. Such glass is poured molten onto a hot metal, as a result of which it turns out to be absolutely smooth. It is used most often – it breaks poorly, but it costs more than acrylic.
- Polycarbonate. It is a hundred times stronger than acrylic, surpasses most types of glass in strength and most other characteristics. Doesn’t look different from any other clear glass.
AdviceWhat to make the inserts from is not so important. The main thing is that there is suddenly no sheet glass in the glass door, which will break as soon as you slam it.
For dressing room
Doors with glass inserts differ in design, and together with the design, they also differ in how they affect the overall atmosphere in the house and how they fit into the interior..
The first of the groups is doors that simply open when pushed. They can be on themselves or on their own, they look very traditional. Most of the doors that can be found in people’s homes are swing doors..
- Regular. Such doors open from oneself or to oneself, take up a large amount of space and look completely familiar. Entrance doors in apartments almost always belong to this type – this is how it comes out both cheaper and more reliable.
Sliding doors in light color
- Bivalve. They are found in private houses, decorated in a classic style. They take up even more space than a single design, they look pompous and massive. Inside the house, they can be placed only in large rooms – for example, in a dining room, if you are going to receive a couple of dozen guests in it..
- Swinging. They open in both directions, take up space in both rooms into which they exit. For entrance doors, such a design is not used, for interior doors it is considered extravagant and is installed only at the request of the style – for example, swinging doors look very good in hi-tech.
- Stables. Remind of westerns – the door is divided into two wings, you can open one, but not open the other. They are used either to complement the country style, or for practical reasons – when there is someone in the house who should not be allowed to leave the room, but who needs to be watched. Of course, there are no stable entrance doors..
Room division option
Often a door with glass inserts is installed as an analogue of a stable door – it looks better, and it takes less space.
AdviceIf you have a heavy door, consult with a professional about how many hinges to fasten it. Otherwise, the canvas may skew..
Such doors are used either in private houses as entrance doors or as interior doors. They have two sashes that are attached to the rail and move apart when needed. They practically do not take up space, due to the presence of glass they look even more extravagant than usual.
Beautiful design of a country house
They allow you to:
- saving space is important if you have a small apartment;
- be original – plus fit perfectly into the Japanese interior.
- the mechanism can quickly fail if you do not take care of it or use it too actively – and then you will have to look for a master;
- you cannot make a heavy sliding door – therefore, you will have to forget about the solid wood, and use plastic instead of glass;
- the sliding door does not provide insulation from noise and cold.
But still, the coupe doors look so good that they are still installed, despite the shortcomings..
Provence style white doors
AdviceA door with a frosted glass insert, on which cranes are depicted, will fit especially well into the Japanese interior..
Roto and folding
In addition to the usual swing and sliding doors, there are two more types:
- Folding, they are “accordions“. They are a canvas connected by loops – it can have up to five sections. When someone needs to go through the opening, he simply pushes the door aside, like a screen. It looks very original and aesthetically pleasing, especially if the door has glass inserts..
- Roto – the latest development. They are attached to an axis in the middle of the opening and when a person needs to go through, he simply presses on one half of the sash and the door rotates around its axis. It also takes up a lot of space, like a folding one, but it looks original and very decorative.
The only significant drawback of such doors is the fragility of their mechanisms. Hinges tend to fail. The swivel mechanism is too, especially if it is used carelessly. And fixing it can be expensive..
AdviceBoth the roto and the folding door are great for a private house, where there is a lot of space, and the style allows the most original solutions..
Different doors look different and this is influenced by a whole list of factors that need to be considered..
When doors play an important role in design
Glass processing method
Firstly, what part of the door the glass occupies plays a role:
- Large insert for the entire size of the canvas. Transmits light, provides an outward look, looks just fine in styles that require a lot of sunlight. But they definitely need darkening on the outside, otherwise all passers-by will be able to look into the house and form their opinion.
- Middle insert. It is usually placed at the top of the canvas, since more light passes through it and so there is no strange sensation for a person who stands next to the door.
- Small insert. It can be narrow horizontal, narrow vertical, as well as patterned inserts that can depict geometric shapes, plants, birds – whatever. This solution is the most beautiful and original..
Sliding structures along the wall
Glass can be decorated in very different ways.
It can be:
- Transparent. Suitable for small inserts. A very simple solution, very unassuming and anyone standing behind the door can look into it. Although if the glass is placed so that there is an opportunity to observe someone in another room – a small child, a sick relative – such a decision is quite good.
- Colored. If you look through such glasses, the whole world seems to be colorful and bright. Usually they are put not in the singular, but in multiples – the more colored inserts on the door, the more interesting it looks, especially if you give them some meaning and combine them into a beautiful pattern.
- Matt. Such glass is opaque on both sides and looks good in a sliding door in a Japanese interior, since it can be painted with hieroglyphs and looks suitable. The color of the glass is usually silver..
- Matt colored. Such glasses are more beautiful than simple colored glasses, although you cannot look through them..
Light that enters through them usually diffuses and can complement the interior with spots of soft color on the floor..
- Mirrored. It can be mirrored on one side, it can be on both. Allows you to use full glazing instead of a growth mirror, it looks interesting. Small mirror inserts are especially effective.
- Stained glass. It is carried out in the form of a mosaic of small colored elements. It looks interesting, it can depict any drawing, any scene. But – the stained-glass window is fragile. It is used exclusively for interior doors..
- Fusing. If the stained glass elements are inserted into the frame, then the float elements are melted over a large glass sheet. The result is the same stained-glass window, only with smoother lines and more durable. If it was made on a triplex, most likely it will not work to break the fusing.
- Etching. Under the influence of acid, the glass becomes frosted and traces similar to lightning remain on it. It breaks down easier than usual, therefore it is used only in interior doors. Looks very impressive.
- Laser engraving. It allows you to make a shining image on frosted glass – and the drawing can be of any kind. Usually such glass does not lose strength..
Full wall option
- Sandblasting. The glass becomes frosted and grainy under the influence of sand directed under pressure. It becomes more fragile, but looks very beautiful. You can put a template on it and then there will be transparent areas that form the pattern..
- Painting. Usually it is done with special paints for glass – you can hire a master, you can buy a ready-made drawing made using a stencil. It will look interesting, patterns can be easily fit into the style.
- Photo printing. It makes little sense on glass, but you can still do it – stick a film on the glass, on which something interesting will be depicted.
In fact, glass can be processed as you like – it can be colored, transparent, matte, painted, engraved, with squares from the reinforcement.
What exactly you like depends on your tastes and on what style the result should be suitable for..
VIDEO: What you need to know about plastic doors with glass?
Remember that plastic does not suit classic interiors, wood almost always does not suit modern interiors, and metal needs additional insulation.
Remember to match the colors of the interior with the color of the door. Remember that the seller must have certificates. And then your purchase will delight you for a very long time..