Barbecue area in the country: How to equip a site with a gazebo, barbecue and grill? (180 + Photos)
Barbecue in the country is the reason why many people, especially young people, generally go out of town. Kebabs, pleasant company, nature practically guarantee that the time will be spent pleasantly and with some benefit. Many people have enough of a simple portable barbecue installed in a more or less free corner of the site. Others approach the issue with great perfectionism and arrange a real barbecue area. Find out how best to do this in more detail later in the article..
Content of this article:
There are different approaches to the arrangement of the site. First of all, it can be open. This method of arrangement implies that you are going to come to dacha only in the summer, and your friends do not have the opportunity to go out to barbecue too often.
Barbecue will be a wonderful decoration in the country
An open area is easy to equip, and even easier to dismantle. It includes:
- Canopy. Instead of walls with roof the open area has a simple awning stretched over the dining area. It often resembles a tent – you dig in the pegs and pull the tarp over them. It is easy to dismantle it, the price is low.
- Work zone. It includes a portable barbecue or grill – you can cook any not too complicated dishes on it, fry meat, heat up sausages bought in a store. It will not be damaged by rain, it can be taken indoors for the winter. Plus, it has a low price and, if anything, it’s easy to replace..
- Dinner Zone. Table and chairs around it – nothing else is needed. In winter, they, again, can be carried indoors, and the cold and rain will not harm them if you choose the material well.
We equip according to taste and convenience
With the right colors, even an open area looks good..
AdviceIf you are on a budget – or if you don’t see the need to spend – an open design is best for you..
In fact, this is the complete opposite of an open structure – it is expensive to build, relatively long, but the result will be reliable and beautiful, looking more like a separate building than a site.
Indoor barbecue is more expensive to build
They enter it:
- Alcove. It has walls with a roof, it looks like a small house and will perfectly protect not only from rain, but also from the cold. It can be expensive to build, but you can use it in winter if you want to relax in nature..
- Work zone. A brazier or a grill is too simple, it makes no sense to put a gazebo for them. But a real hearth, stove or tandoor is already more serious. They can cook not only meat, but also more complex dishes. You can even bake bread if you feel like it..
- Dinner Zone. It can be decorated beautifully, tastefully and without material restrictions. After all, inside a closed gazebo, they do not need to withstand temperature drops, high humidity, harsh outdoor conditions.
The gazebo is small, but the essentials fit
AdviceA closed design makes sense only if your summer cottage is suitable for wintering – and only if you are ready to ride it in winter. In other cases, spending is not very justified..
You can gather on such a site both in summer and in the off-season – and even in winter, if you are ready to put more or less durable partitions.
Convenient to use at any time of the year
- Alcove. But if a closed structure has stationary walls in it, then in a universal structure it consists of pillars supporting the roof. On hot summer days, the space between the pillars is left open for a cool breeze to blow in. But in the fall or in rainy weather, it is closed either by wooden panels, either metal grill or fabric.
- Work zone. You can put a barbecue or grill in it, or you can use a real stove or an open hearth – depending on your tastes. The universal platform lives up to its name in this matter too..
- Dinner Zone. It is advisable to choose materials that tolerate humidity and temperature changes, but you can buy something more expensive, just close the gazebo at night.
Universal recreation area
AdviceA universal solution is well suited if you cannot predict how your schedule will be – while you are not at the dacha, it will be waiting in a closed state, and as soon as you arrive, it will easily transform.
It is not very common, but it also has advantages.. It includes:
- Alcove. As a rule, it has a roof and pillars supporting it – and one of the walls is replaced by the walls of a house or some of the outbuildings. This ensures greater reliability, plus it is easier to protect yourself from the wind. In addition, the presence of a wall allows you to experiment with the design..
- Working and dining areas. Fully versatile – but usually the worker is carried outside the patio. Not so much for practical reasons as for aesthetic.
You can experiment with design
AdviceChoose a patio if there is a suitable free area near the house..
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: How to equip a summer kitchen in the country? 220+ (Photo) DIY Design Projects
Regardless of which of the arrangement ideas you liked best, you need to find a place for the site that meets certain criteria:
- Distance from home. If we are not talking about a patio where everything is already clear, distance can be problematic. On the one hand, it should not be small – otherwise, as soon as you have guests, smoke may go into the house. On the other hand, it should not be large – otherwise you will be tortured bringing food from the refrigerator and taking away dirty dishes. In general, it is better if it is more than less – you will not do anything with smoke, but guests will help with carrying things..
- Safety. Regardless of what you will have – whether a hearth, a brazier, a real stove – there is a risk of fire. That is why the site is usually paved with tiles that do not burn, and placed away from anything that can catch fire – from wooden fences, trees, bushes, playgrounds.
Try not to place close to the house so that the smoke does not interfere
- Water. It is costly and time-consuming to bring water to the site separately. It is much easier to position it so that you don’t have to go too far to the water source..
- Wind. If you have a rough idea of what kind of wind blows in your country house most often, you need to arrange the playground so that the smoke from it does not carry towards the house, the place where children play, and in general towards people.
- Relief. It is difficult to lay out tiles on an uneven surface – most likely, you will have to level it additionally, and this is energy, time, possibly the help of workers. Therefore, it is better to immediately choose a place that does not need it..
Great place for a patio
It’s good if you manage to locate the site somewhere far from the front entrance to the site – this will allow you to feel some privacy, which is always nice.
AdviceBe sure to imagine if it will be possible to lay a path to the barbecue. Otherwise, it may be inconvenient to get to it..
Make sure to arrange everything comfortably
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: Sidewalk tile paths in the country – Design of a beautiful courtyard (120+ Photos)
Working area – hearth
The heart of any barbecue area is where food will be prepared. You can limit yourself to the classic barbecue, or you can choose something more exotic – there are several solutions:
- Brazier. A classic that never gets old. The price is low, the reliability is off the charts. It is a metal box with legs. On the sides there are holes that provide ventilation, on the top along the edge of the skewer recess. A tree is laid in the brazier, burns to coals, meat strung on skewers is fried on top. No culinary delights are expected, but it will not suffer from rain, will survive the winter and will serve excellently for several decades..
- Grill. Somewhat more original – at first glance, it most of all resembles a frying pan, which was put on its legs, equipped with a lid and put out on the street. At the bottom of the grill there is a space for coals, above which a grate is attached. You cannot fry kebabs on it, but it is very convenient to smoke fish, meat or fry sausages for hot dogs. There is also a combined structure – a grid for the barbecue, which allows you to turn it into a kind of grill.
Brazier is an eternal and ageless classic for any summer cottage
- Garden oven. A good idea for a patio, as it is equipped with a chimney, which means that smoke during cooking will not enter the house. Not intended for kebabs, you can cook in it only in dishes – but you can try a variety of stews, cereals, pies and similar wonders of cooking.
- Open hearth. It is a fireplace lined with natural stone or brick around the perimeter. Allows you to fry sausages on twigs, bake potatoes – bring camping romance to your regular garden.
- Tandoor. The same garden oven, but in an oriental manner. It has the shape of a jug, allows you to bake a variety of flat cakes and pita breads on the walls. Good if you like baking, like working with dough and treating friends.
- B-B-Q. In fact, a cross between a grill and a barbecue. Take off the grate – you can fry kebabs. Put on the grate – you can heat up sausages, smoke fish, fry meat. Often equipped with a lid, portable. Can be easily rearranged from place to place.
BBQ is a commonly used and favorite when relaxing
AdviceIf you want to achieve the maximum possible functionality from the site, it is recommended to combine a brazier, barbecue or grill with an oven or tandoor. This combination allows you to cook many dishes according to your mood..
But at the same time, it makes no sense to put the stove in an open area..
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: How to make a Pool in the country with your own hands (165+ Photos)? Frame, indoor, concrete – Which is better?
Dining area – furniture
The furniture that will be installed on the site should be not only (even not so much) beautiful as functional. Still, she has to stand in the fresh air. And its functionality depends on the material..
Most often it is plastic. It has pluses:
- Low price. Plastic furniture costs the least – hence the easiest to replace.
- Ease. It is much easier to take a table made of plastic into the room than a table made of wood. Even a not very physically strong person can cope.
- Reliability. Of course, you cannot compare with the reliability of wood, but plastic is absolutely not sensitive to temperature changes, it is not afraid of humidity and garden pests.
- Variety of colors. You can find monochromatic furniture, it is possible with a pattern, plus the color will be invariably bright, festive.
Mainly choose plastic furniture
Of course, there are also downsides:
- Specific appearance. Plastic looks at its price, therefore it will not get along with expensive finishes, complex design.
- Fragility. He is not afraid of water with temperature, this is true, but in the sun it fades quite quickly, wears out over time, and can crack from impact.
Plastic furniture is a good solution for an open area. It will be possible not to waste time to bring it into the house, plus, it fits well into the general tone of the tarpaulin and barbecue.
Forged furniture is another matter. She has other advantages:
- the beauty. Metal furniture is usually made graceful, thin-legged, with curls. She looks original, interesting.
- Durability. Metal is not plastic. It can last for several decades, especially if you take it indoors and treat it against rust every year..
- Reliability. Not afraid of water, temperature changes, does not fade in the sun, does not suffer from mechanical damage, is indifferent to the effects of pests.
Long lasting wrought iron patio furniture
- Severity. Moving wrought-iron furniture from place to place is difficult, especially if you are not used to lifting weights or if you have a sore back.
- Price. Metal is more expensive than all other materials – unless, of course, we are talking about expensive types of wood that do not need processing.
But metal looks good almost everywhere. With its help, you can turn an ordinary platform into an interesting design performance, especially if you are smart about looking for all the other elements..
BBQ area with wooden furniture
The next material is wood, either solid or a vine from which to weave. The pros are the same:
- the beauty. Wood is a noble material, no matter what kind of it we are talking about. It can be oak, maybe pine, or maybe rattan. Any design from it looks good, interesting.
- Convenience. If you take not roughly knitted chairs, but graceful wicker chairs, then it will be comfortable and cozy to sit in them, especially if you put something soft on the seat.
- Reliability. If the tree is properly processed – or if you take a resistant species – it will not be afraid of humidity, temperature changes, even pests.
- Durability. If you handle the furniture carefully, it will last a couple of decades..
Wooden furniture always looks beautiful
Cons also exist:
- Price. Properly processed wood is expensive, as are rare species..
- Difficulties in leaving. If you do not take care of the tree, it dries up or begins to rot. It can be devoured by a bug, it can crack from mechanical stress. Therefore, it will have to be processed at least once a year..
The tree is used most often in closed areas. Moreover, it is imperative to remember about safety and install furniture so that sparks from fire cannot reach it..
The main thing is to use wood resistant to moisture
Other materials – chipboard or MDF, for example – they are practically not used, because they do not experience being outside well.
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: Catalog of flowers for a summer residence (240 + Photos with names): All the rules for creating incredible beauty
Finishing and decoration
In order for the result not only to be comfortable and to serve for a long time, but also to look good, you need to pay attention to the finish with decoration.
The following coatings are commonly used:
- Concrete. You will not have to spend much on this material – the cost is such that most can afford to fill the site anew at least every year. It looks, however, not too pretty, requires a perfectly flat base and quickly falls into decay.
- Rubber tile. This is used in the decoration of playgrounds, and if you have children on the site, this material may be best suited. It is soft, slightly springy, you cannot slip on it. But it can melt when faced with hot sparks, fade over time and does not look very interesting.
Paving slabs – one of the coating options
- Paving slabs. Solid, reliable, it is not afraid of anything and looks very interesting, especially if you use not monochromatic elements, but multi-colored ones, laying out a pattern or drawing from them. It can crack if you drop something heavy, and wears out over time, albeit slowly. When buying, you need to pay attention to the class – the higher it is, the longer the tile will last.
- A natural stone. It doesn’t look as interesting as the tiles, but it is very beautiful in its own way. If you are going to make an open area surrounded by green spaces or with an awning made of climbing plants, then natural stone will work best with them. It can last even a hundred years, but it is heavy and expensive.
- Grass. There are varieties of grass that are used to equip garden paths. It is difficult to trample it, and the playground will look like a real green meadow. However, you will have to water it and cut it from time to time..
- Wood. Looks like parquet – beautiful, chic. But it can suffer from an accidental spark, requires the same processing as wood furniture, and is also expensive. It is better not to use at all outdoors..
Wood on the floor – looks chic and beautiful
The covering can be excellent for zoning space – one material is placed near the hearth, another material in the dining area, and as a result, they look visually separate.
If you want to enhance this effect, you can use:
- Taking out. If the dining area is on one surface, at the same time under an awning, and the working area is under the open sky, on the other, the contrast will be striking. Plus, so the smoke will definitely come out, and the cook will be able to concentrate.
- Partitions. Instead of a partition, you can use a screen made of wood or fabric, green spaces, weaving plants, a lattice. At the same time, screens can be easily moved if there is such a need, but everything else cannot be rearranged. It is interesting that the partition may not be up to the roof or canopy itself, but only up to half.
- The presence of a wall. In this case, one zone on the patio is close to the wall, while the other is set to the side, apart..
Strengthening the effect in the country with the help of a wall
And, of course, you cannot do in the selection of zones without lighting, which can be very different:
- With one big source. In this case, one large chandelier is hung under the ceiling – a good solution would be to stylize it like kerosene. There are mysterious shadows in the corners, and there is no zoning at all.
- With sources around the perimeter. In this case, small lanterns are placed along the edges of the platform, which do not give bright light, but provide soft illumination. It will look elegant and interesting..
- With separate sources in zones. So you can fix the lamp near the barbecue and put the lamp on the table – so the presence of zones will be obvious, and there will be enough light for everyone present..
- With only one zone lighting. Quite an interesting solution that allows you to select only one zone – most often the dining area.
Make good lighting
As light sources, you can use electric lamps, LED strip (it can be fixed in the foliage of plants around), lanterns that run on solar batteries. If you do not want to buy lanterns, as well as conduct electricity, you can use live fire – candles and icon lamps.
To complement the picture will help:
- Textile. Tablecloth, carpet under the table, chair covers – all of this should have one style and, preferably, a practical function.
- Cooking accessories. They should have the same style too.
More “home” accessories like vases, napkins, paintings, caskets on the site will be out of place.
VIDEO: What a barbecue area might look like?
The do-it-yourself barbecue area is an area where you can spend time with your loved ones and friends. We hope that we were able to tell you about all the options for arrangement, and you can create a pleasant and cozy atmosphere for relaxation..