Do-it-yourself hedge in the country: selection of plants, planting and care. Fast growing, perennial and evergreen – which ones are better to choose? (105+ Photos)
The garden is a wonderful independent world where you can relax your body and soul after a busy day at work and have a good time with friends. And prying eyes don’t belong here, let them admire the delightful design of the impenetrable green wall that you create by turning it into a hedge. You will feel protected and comfortable behind it. Which hedge is better? What are the fastest growing? Where is the best location? You will find the answers to the questions below in the article.
Evergreen hedges not only protect from indiscreet glances, but also limit access to winds, serve as an effective biofilter that purifies the air.
The main thing is to feel comfortable
Green fences with windows and aisle decorated in them look very original. They are created with lattices or trellises made of metal, various wooden structures.
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: Catalog of flowers for a summer residence (240 + Photos with names): All the rules for creating incredible beauty
Which hedge is better?
However, when creating a fence from green spaces, at least the basic rules and recommendations for the construction of such significant elements of the site must be taken into account..
It is important to consider all the recommendations when planning
For example, one of the main rules is the general style of the internal space of your site, for example, a garden, the fence must correspond completely.
Bamboo is used in a Japanese-style garden, the vine is appropriate for a rustic-style garden. Pergola is used for climbing crops.
Pergola in the country is used for climbing crops
Deciduous flowering and ornamental-leaved shrubs, as well as tall herbaceous perennials will close you from prying eyes in the summer season.
If you do not have time to create a capital hedge, make it from plantings in tubs.. The best applicants for this role are yew, oleander, hibiscus or hydrangea trimmed in the shape of a ball..
Beautiful yew balls – not difficult and constantly pleasing to the eye
If you are a fan of annual vines, nasturtium or echinocystis are suitable for you, which can form a hedge within a month and a half after sowing..
A spectacular hedge of red leaves will feel good in a clean, open space, exposed to sunlight.
Deciduous shrubs are more commonly used for free-growing hedges
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: How to make a Pool in the country with your own hands (165+ Photos)? Frame, indoor, concrete – Which is better?
In order for the hedge to please with its emerald greenery, splendor, it needs careful care. The most critical part is pruning. It performs two important functions: every year it ensures the formation of young and strong shoots and maintains the health of the plantings..
The most important part of grooming is pruning
Another important pruning function is to lighten the thickened crown, pruning branches that grow inward:
- Shrub pruning consists of removing dry, dying twigs; this is the so-called sanitary pruning. At the site of the cut, new shoots are formed, which will grow abundantly and create the effect of a screen.
- A fence made of shrubs will not only give the site a new, beautiful look, but also create a microclimate and become reliable protection for the harvest. It is easier to climb over open worries than through a wall of thorny bushes 170 cm high. For planting, use two-three-year-old seedlings of wild rose, blackthorn, hawthorn. Twice a year, in the spring, before the juice begins to move, and in the fall, when the leaves fall off, they prune with garden shears. A little troublesome, but these troubles are pleasant: the hedge protects the area from dust, which is full on the road, the area is less blown by the wind.
Pleasant chores will delight the eyes of others
- First of all, it is necessary to cut off the branches that grow inward, as they receive the minimum amount of light. Shoots that stretch too high up should also be shortened. The apical buds are truncated so that the bush branches.
- After pruning, the bushes need to be fed with fertilizers. If the soil under the crown is not occupied by anything, distribute fertilizers evenly over the entire area of the crown projection, and seal up by digging or loosening. In the autumn, sprinkle the crown with a 4 – 5% urea solution.
Geometric shapes for your garden
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: Sidewalk tile paths in the country – Design of a beautiful courtyard (120+ Photos)
What plants to choose?
If you are creating a hedge with an eye on the future, take your time and do not buy the first shrubs you come across.. When choosing a cultivated variety, several factors are taken into account:
- When buying the selected plant species, find out what size it will grow. For example, different varieties of boxwood evergreen can vary greatly in height. It can reach only one meter in height, and can reach a height of two and a half meters.
- Try not to select too tall plant species, as gaps may appear in them.. Be sure to ask about the winter hardiness of the selected breeds. If they freeze, it will be very difficult to achieve the desired effect..
Try not to choose breeds that are too tall.
- Find out about the plant of your choice, whether it is deciduous or evergreen. If you are outside the city only in the warm season, deciduous breeds are suitable, which can change their appearance depending on the season. In spring – gently green hawthorn and linden, golden forsythia, in autumn – warm shades of maple and euonymus.
- Find out what kind of care the selected plant species require. For example, a rapidly growing thuja is pruned only twice a year, but not more often, and pruning of yew and boxwood should be done only at the beginning of summer. If you want tighter lines, cut it in March as well. Evergreen shrubs with large leaves are trimmed only with hand pruners.
Before planting, you need to know everything about the plant.
A spectacular hedge of red leaves will feel good in a clean, open space, exposed to sunlight.
Spectacular hedge on your site
In a darkened place, such bright foliage will look gloomy. This applies, for example, to some varieties of European beech or cultivated cherry plum. Plants with golden needles on hot days will seem dull. To avoid unforeseen effects, it is better to choose breeds with bright green leaves..
It is customary to use not only planting shrubs
- Maples, due to their bright foliage, will decorate your site in the fall. Among the Far Eastern species, it is worth noting Manchurian ash, fluffy alder, beautiful larch.
- Some hedges have thorns and thorns. On the one hand, this scares off some uninvited guests, on the other hand, it creates difficulties in regular leaving..
- Do not ignore the climbing plants. They grow quickly in both sunny and shady corners of the garden. They wrap around specially arranged gratings, obelisks and pavilions..
- Kampsis has proven itself well in landscaping with bright brushes of tubular flowers. Trimmed oaks, maples, weeping lindens look great on plots.
Such shrubs will add a good mood to your summer house.
It is in your power to transform the hedge into a sea of colors and colors. You can buy ready-made wooden lattices entwined with plants. Reliable protection from prying eyes will be ready in just one day.
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: How to equip a summer kitchen in the country? 220+ (Photo) DIY Design Projects
What are the fast growing?
Vertical landscaping is a versatile garden decorator that allows you to achieve a stunning effect in a short time..
Blooming fence – beautiful at any time of the year
You need to start with the selection of supports for the “green wall”, which, even without vines, should decorate the site. This is important in winter and spring, when the supports are the only accents of the garden. The choice of plants for vertical gardening is quite rich.
The choice of plants for the hedge is large and varied.
- The girlish grapes, which themselves “climb” the wall, look spectacular. Unpretentious hop looks beautiful, preferring a shady corner. True, you will have to control its growth, otherwise it will displace other crops from the site..
- You can create a decorative green vertical from such annual vines as blood-red beans, nasturtium, morning glory.
- Some herbaceous perennials are also capable of creating dense, variegated flower walls. Willow sunflower reaches two and a half meters, and rudbeckia and elecampane can grow up to three meters.
- For such climbing plants as roses, morning glories, clematis and others, it is advisable to build some kind of support, do not forget to tie up the plants from time to time. Not all specimens need to be tied.
Looks very impressive and floral
Plants such as Kobea, Kampsis just need to be put up near the support. The blue delphinium flowers will delight you on the 1.7 meter high wall. Lavater, stock-rose, buzulnik can reach about the same height.
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: Barbecue area in the country: How to equip a site with a gazebo, barbecue and grill? (180 + Photos)
Thuja for hedges
Thuja is quite thermophilic, for this reason it is better to start planting it in open ground in March. But in areas with not too cold winters, you can make an autumn planting. In this situation, it is important to produce it before the final freezing of the soil, because the plant simply will not take root. The latest disembarkation date is the second half of October.
The advantage of this plant is that it does not need too many additives.
How to plant?
In the process of planting, it is advisable to place a couple of buckets of humus at the bottom of the pit; it must be connected to the upper fertile layer of soil. In the spring, it is necessary to add about half a kilogram of superphosphate to the same pit. In the absence of this component, you can use a kilogram of wood ash.
It is not that difficult to create such a bright bush.
- In the event that the soil is acidic, lime or dolomite flour is added to it.
- On the de pits, drainage (15-10 cm) is made from small crushed stone, gravel, broken brick, sand. Then the hole must be covered by two-thirds of the volume with the prepared soil mixture..
- If possible, the planting hole should be prepared 10-15 days before planting – so that the soil settles well.
Thuja prefers illuminated places. The plant is not recommended to be planted on sandstones and in windy areas.
Growing, pruning and maintaining a green hedge is easy. If you follow the basic rules and agrotechnical techniques, then after 2-3 years, green spaces will serve as a reliable and beautiful protection of the site..
Such shrubs are frost-resistant
VIDEO: The best plants for creating a hedge
If you want variety, you can decorate each of the walls with different plants: either flowers, or shrubs, or trees. Create and enjoy the wonderful fruits of your labor!