Curtains on the balcony door: Modern window designs
The curtains on the balcony door are purchased ready-made or sewn by hand – any of the options will beautifully complement the room.
What to consider when choosing?
The kitchen room is the place where the residents of the apartment spend a lot of time. The room must be decorated in a calm and cozy style, to awaken the desire for a snack. If you furnish the interior kitchen not a problem, then the process of choosing suitable curtains for the balcony door is accompanied by difficulties.
The classic kitchen space has a square or rectangular shape.. It follows from this that the balcony door is often located opposite the entrance to the kitchen.. This layout is considered acceptable and will allow you to choose curtains for the opening. In the future, they will not interfere with the free movement of the kitchen..
The curtains on the balcony door are purchased ready-made or sewn by hand
Product selection criteria:
- Opening type. The balcony opening in the kitchen can be represented by several options: a free-standing door and a whole window block in combination with a door. Thanks to this indicator, the width of the product is calculated. In addition, additional interior elements on the side and bottom will influence the choice of height..
- Availability radiator. If a heating radiator is placed under the window block, it is necessary to choose a shortened curtain. The situation is complicated by placing the battery in only one part of the block: then you will have to take a model of medium length. If the radiator has a decorative function, choose a long curtain.
In the interior of the kitchen
- Product material. A kitchen is a room where moisture, grease, fumes and steam are always present. Because of these features, choose only thick and easy-to-clean window products. If the balcony door is located near the stove, it will be reasonable to purchase not a fabric model, but blinds. They are easy to clean with water.
- Freedom to exit. As you know, if the balcony door goes through the kitchen, then the frequency of access to it is high. In addition, the door and windows are constantly opened to ventilate the room. Choose a product that does not obstruct the passage. For example, a light curtain made of thin fabric or an option for the type of blinds.
Lightweight model to match the kitchen set
- Eaves selection. Choose a sturdy curtain rod from wood or metal, plastic options will be inappropriate here. Firstly, all the carbon deposits from the stove will settle on the plastic cornice, and it will be difficult to wash it out. Secondly, too frequent use will lead to the rapid failure of a low-quality plastic curtain rod.
- Amount of natural light. The kitchen must have natural light from the window at all times. Do not deliberately block it with other objects, and also choose dense and dark fabric. Better provide the room with good light transmission by making the curtain thin and light.
The main criteria for choosing a curtain for a balcony door is that it should not be lacy, have a lot of decor and be too long. The product should be easy to clean and wash, dry quickly and not be too dense.
The choice of color affects the overall perception of the kitchen environment. If you choose too dark curtains – they will not be able to let light into the room, a gloomy atmosphere will arise. If you choose too bright colors, this will excite the psyche and affect the nervous system..
Psychologists say that exactly Red the color is most suitable for the decoration of the kitchen. This tone perfectly stimulates the digestive system, awakening the appetite.
The color of the material should not only be in harmony with the general atmosphere of the kitchen, but beautifully complement the window opening with a balcony door. In addition, by choosing curtains in several shades, you can achieve a beautiful and smooth gradient transition. This will soften the retina..
A few mistakes that people often make when choosing the color of the curtains for the balcony door in the kitchen:
- select the color of the material to match the palette of the work surface and cabinets;
- acquire products that are too dark, for example brown, burgundy or purple;
- incorrectly accentuate the pictures of the material;
- buy a curtain to match wallpaper and surrounding decoration.
All mistakes can be seen in almost every kitchen of modern housewives. Not knowing the basic rules for choosing the colors of the curtains, the kitchen takes on a dull look, and the woman is here for a long time. The wrong color of the product for the balcony door will irritate the nervous system and worsen mood.
Designers advise choosing a curtain palette based on the following recommendations:
- Moderation of accents. Do not completely repeat the colors of the facades. lockers and other furniture – this will create a heaping effect. It is better to pay attention to the harmonization with the color chandeliers, tablecloths or other kitchen textiles.
- Drawings. For example, if the kitchen is made in yellow colors, then choose a completely monochromatic yellow no cloth needed. It is better to purchase a light curtain with cheerful or calm yellow patterns.
- Playing on contrasts. If the kitchen is made in blue, then for the curtains it is better to choose White or sandy shade. It is also not worth repeating the palette of kitchen finishes: a contrasting game will look much better..
- Room size. In a small kitchen, it is not recommended to hang dark curtains on the balcony door – this will not contribute to a comfortable stay in the room. Experiments are allowed in large kitchens.
- Interesting combinations. You can always buy textiles made in several shades. For example, a window block will be covered by a light translucent curtain, and on the door itself there will be a product of a dark shade..
The product should be easy to clean and wash
AdviceChoose curtains for your balcony door according to the suggested tips. Be sure to take into account the main color of the room design and build on it. The combination of colors will help transform the kitchen and make it cozy
The use of roller blinds: features and types
The selection of curtains for a balcony opening in any room always comes into contact with difficulties: they are associated with the asymmetry of the opening. The window block and the door have different heights and widths, so there is no point in choosing a common curtain. Roll-up models come to the rescue – practical products that fit into a stylish interior.
The roll structure is convenient to open and close
Roller blinds are more suitable for technical and minimalistic styles. They will not fit in luxurious bedrooms, kitchens and living rooms made in the Baroque, Empire, Rococo, Classicism styles..
A huge number of manufacturers allow owners of apartments with a balcony door to choose an option to their liking.
The principle of operation is as follows:
- at the top of the product is a special roller-type design;
- fabric is wound inside the structure;
- performing certain manipulations, the fabric is gently lowered down, completely covering the glass.
The roll structure is convenient to open and close several times a day, which is great for rooms with a balcony door. The model is especially useful in those apartments where balcony comes out on the sunny side of the house. Daylight rays of light will not shine through the window because of the durable and reliable roller blind.
Roll-up models – practical products
Models are made of dense material that is easy to clean. The product will be optimal for a balcony door in the bedroom, living room and even in the kitchen. There are several options for controlling roll models, their features are proposed to be considered in the summary table.
|Peculiarities||On the side of the main roller there is a cord made of durable PVC material. By pulling on the chain, you can open and close the curtain, as well as leave it fixed in a certain position||The design contains a spring that independently adjusts the length of the canvas in the opening. The option is considered unreliable due to the rapid wear of the mechanism.||The electric motor is located inside the structure or is installed permanently. Controlled by a remote control|
|The relevance of use on a balcony door||Suitable for decorating a balcony door both in the kitchen and in the living room. The roller blind can only be closed halfway, leaving the bottom of the balcony door open for convenience||Suitable for those parts of the balcony opening where constant light adjustment is not required. For example, you can place a roller shutter at the bottom of the balcony door.||Suitable for a bedroom or living room. Such a novelty will look technologically advanced and stylish.|
In addition to the basic types of control, there are types of the structure itself: it can be open and closed. It is better to choose a closed type, because then the curtain itself will not sag, and outwardly the fabric will be protected from damage.
Models are made of dense material
If the purchase of ready-made versions of the product does not inspire inspiration, and the balcony opening has non-standard dimensions, it’s time to start sewing. Such a textile product will emphasize the style of the interior, add a little rigor..
For work, you need to select the following materials:
- a wooden bar 3×4 cm or a metal hollow tube – for fixing the canvases;
- a wooden or metal bar for weighting – so that the structure does not hang out at the bottom of the balcony door;
- furniture stapler and staples;
- screwdriver and fasteners – screws, screws;
- threads, scissors, other sewing accessories;
- fabric cloth – how to calculate the required size, see below.
Instead of a wooden beam or a tube for the cornice, you can use a ready-made cassette system: it is sold in stores or departments with construction goods.
With the correct calculation of the length of the blade, it will smoothly enter and feed from the mechanism. Use the proven formula: determine the width based on the addition of the width of the opening or glass with an increase in seam allowances of 2-4 cm.To calculate the length of the product, measure the height of the balcony door and add 5-15 cm.
In addition to the listed materials, you will also need ribbons or chains, with the help of which the roller blind will work. Their length is equal to the length of the finished curtain, multiplied by half, plus 25 cm in stock.
You will need 2 blanks of canvases, which are subsequently sewn into one product.
Lightweight, translucent tulle
As a material, it is better to choose a fabric that transmits light and is not capable of static accumulation..
The work consists of the following stages:
- To begin with, a pattern is made, it is transferred to the fabric and cut out. In the next step, both canvases are sewn on the wrong side on two sides of the length and on one side of the width. The workpiece is turned inside out and ironed with an iron.
- A prepared weight is inserted into the part that was not sewn up. After that, the curtain is finally sewn in width. All sewing operations are best done with a sewing machine..
- The top of the fabric is wrapped around a block of wood and secured with a furniture stapler. If a metal tube is used, then special hooks can be used instead of staples: they will allow you to quickly remove the curtain for washing.
It is better to choose fabric as a material.
- Ties or cords are also screwed to the cornice, which will support the product. It is worth considering in advance the place where the cord will hide when the window is open.
- The structure is attached to the balcony frame of the door or to the wall above the door using a screwdriver and screws. Another type of control is made with a cord fixed to the side. Then special rings are sewn on the canvas, where the cord is threaded.
- Making a roller blind for a balcony door will not cause problems – the process is quick and fun.
Easy to DIY
Decoration with curtains of the hall
In typical apartment layouts, the exit to the balcony is in most cases located in the living room. The architects decided to make a balcony here because of the large width of the room. Many people complain that it is difficult to equip a hall with such an opening, but the recommendations will help to avoid difficulties..
It is quite difficult to beat a balcony door with a window opening, but it is feasible. It is enough to correctly choose the color, material and style that will fit optimally into the living room. Before choosing, it is worth measuring all the necessary indicators in advance. Measure the width of the window opening, the height of the balcony door and decide where the curtain will be fixed: on the wall or in the opening itself.
This option protects the room well from the sun.
When choosing curtains for a room with a balcony door, pay attention to the following criteria:
- Room illumination. With a glazed balcony, you should not additionally protect the living room space from the sun’s rays. In this case, light colors from a loose material are well suited. If the balcony is not glazed, there is a risk of the passage of cold air, and the windows are excessively large – choose a dense fabric that will not allow other people’s views to be missed..
- Freedom of movement near window. The balcony is considered a kind of place for storing a large number of items on the master’s part of the apartment, so access to it should be free. If people constantly go out to smoke on the balcony, and the husband organized his workshop there, think in advance about the type of curtain that will not interfere with movement.
In addition, it is necessary to take into account the shape of the balcony door: if it is a round door, you will have to tinker with the choice. It is appropriate to arrange such openings with a curtain made of light fabric to the floor, and decorate the side space on both sides with additional decorations. Some owners of such original openings leave them without a curtain, increasing the penetration of light in the room..
In a small living room, you should not buy curtains of black, brown, marsh and burgundy – such a palette will visually make the room even smaller.
Bedroom in a pale pink tone
Choose curtain colors that will look appropriate and fill the room with warmth:
- olive combined with light beige;
- sand-colored curtains framed with brown stripes on the long sides;
- contrasting option: beige main curtain made of tulle, curtain made of brown dense fabric;
- gray shades in combination with a universal white color;
- light prints on a white background: geometric shapes, simple ornaments;
- stylish strip – it is better to choose vertical stripes, because horizontal ones will increase the width of the opening;
- light lilac shade of curtains made of light fabric in combination with silver curtains;
- terracotta curtain with a smooth transition to light pink color.
A good choice for a living room is to make a curtain with your own hands from a light translucent fabric. When sewing, it is worth considering all the objects around the door. Designers recommend making part of the curtain of the window unit shortened if there is a curbstone or table, and the door curtain is made in full length.
What to choose: blinds, roman blinds, curtains?
After determining the colors and sizes of the future curtains, you need to think: what type of curtains is most suitable for decorating the hall. Here you do not need to hang a curtain made of dense, cleanable material, as was the case in the kitchen. Almost all types of existing fabrics are suitable for the hall: they will decorate the balcony door in an original and practical way..
|Material||Thick fabric, PVC||Organza or veil||Any curtain fabric – cotton, linen, silk or viscose||Natural fabrics – cotton, linen||Thread fibers, ribbons||Curtain fabrics: linen, cotton, gabardine, viscose|
|Interior style||Minimalism, techno, hi-tech||Classic directions||Classic interiors, luxurious styles||Minimalism, oriental or Asian style||Classic style, country||Any classic interiors|
|Advantages||Do not obstruct the passage near the door, do not need to move the curtain when entering the balcony, good protection from sunlight, ease of use and maintenance||Suitable for decorating a hall with a balcony door, if the balcony itself is glazed and hung with blackout curtains||They let in sunlight well, versatile, help to hide the imbalance between the size of windows and a balcony door||The curtains fixed to the slats will not get dirty on the floor surface and are easy to manipulate||You do not need to constantly pull back the curtain to go to the balcony||They allow you to disguise the discrepancy between the size of the window and door, as well as add a touch of mystery and elegance to the interior|
|Flaws||For a cozy look, you will have to complement the blinds and Roman shades with decorative elements.||You will have to choose a one-piece tulle, which is not always convenient to use every day.||The option is not considered practical: curtains require frequent washing, and can also get dirty from contact with the floor and other surfaces||Not suitable for every interior||Will not help protect the room from bright sunlight||Complex sewing, rather laborious care of lambrequins, the impossibility of using in a strict style|
What curtains for the balcony door in the hall to choose is up to the owners themselves: based on the specified information, it is better to choose straight curtains and blinds, as well as roller types.
Interesting, bright, sliding version
Curtain in the bedroom: design rules
The legacy of previous years of development of architecture and construction is the balcony door in the living room. If its location in the kitchen and living room is considered acceptable, then the exit to the balcony from the bedroom area is a lot of inconvenience. To brighten up the interior dissonance a little, it is recommended to choose a curtain.
The situation is complicated by the presence of heating radiators under the window block. The use of a long curtain is inappropriate, a roller blind is suitable here. However, it does not differ in comfort and requires a certain style in the interior.. Consider several criteria and rules for the selection of curtains in the bedroom:
Cozy, bright bedroom
- Avoid puffiness and bulk. If you create airiness in the window area, this will not only visually reduce the size of the bedroom, but significantly impede movement. Exit to the balcony will be difficult, which is not recommended. It is better to choose light and thin materials, without the additional use of asymmetric compositions.
- Add practicality. Bedroom curtains not only play a decorative role, but are used from a practical point of view. In order for the fabric to block out light, it must be dense and dark. In order for the product not to be exposed to frequent contamination, its material must be universal..
- Quick release. Curtains located on the balcony door in the bedroom come into contact with the inhabitants of the house much more often than other textiles in the house. Ensure that the material is easy to clean and quickly removed from the curtain rod for washing.
- Material. Raw materials for the manufacture of curtains for a balcony door should not be exposed to moisture. The indicated place in the apartment is considered vulnerable to the penetration of moisture and air, especially if the balcony is not glazed from the inside.
AdviceIt is better to avoid bright colors for the bedroom, because this is a place for solitude, relaxation and tranquility. Choose blue, light green, sand, olive, beige colors. It is appropriate to combine several shades at once that will be present in the bedroom interior palette.
It is better to choose options from materials: blinds, thick linen curtains or organza tulle. A combination of several types will also be appropriate – you can hang blinds on the balcony door, on top of which you can place light tulle. A comfortable lambrequin of a not too voluminous type will also fit well into the classic furnishings of the bedroom.
For ease of use, long curtains can be fixed with hooks: from wide tapes, strips of fabric, as well as magnetic tapes.
Japanese curtains will fit well in a bedroom with a large opening width.
Bright colors for the bedroom are best avoided.
If the balcony door does not have additional windows, this greatly simplifies the situation. In this case, you can use a cotton curtain – muslin. It will not help to hide the room from sunlight, but it will look great in the bedroom, creating coziness and romance..
It will be interesting for you:
Curtain in a classic style with your own hands
If the ready-made options are not to your liking, you can always sew the curtain yourself. It will not be difficult for beginners to make a stylish straight curtain for a balcony door in a classic version. A straight curtain will seem boring and ugly to many, but this is not so: a universal model can always be diversified with decor and diluted with contrasting additions.
Stylish room in beige and brown tones
For work, you will need fabric – it is advisable to take organza or other loose material. The calculation of the fabric depends on the presence of folds, the length of the product and its width..
AdviceIt is better to add an additional 20 cm along the perimeter on each side.
Classic curtain version
- Hemming the fabric. From the side parts, the material is folded 2 times inward. First, they make a bend of 1 cm, then another 2 cm, attach them on a sewing machine. Set the average readings of the device: the stitch should not be large, in addition, do not forget to bartack.
- The bottom of the curtain for the door should also be folded. First, make a hem by 3 cm, then another 5 cm.Try to keep the stitch evenness, because the seam will be visible.
- Ironing. All finished edges are ironed. If the curtain is made of thin materials, be sure to change the temperature setting of the device to a delicate one. This will help prevent damage to the fabric..
- The upper edge is folded by 2 cm and is trimmed with braid. Instead, you can use a thick strip of fabric, as well as additional decor. Depending on the method of attaching the curtain, it is necessary to purchase rings, hooks or eyelets in advance, which are subsequently sewn to the product..
For large rooms, it is better to take light colors.
It is better to take the tape for processing the upper edge 6 cm longer than the width of the curtain – this will provide an opportunity to make allowances for the seams.
If you have experience in sewing, the finished curtain can be supplemented with a lambrequin: it adds coziness to the bedroom, but creates a little discomfort when opening the balcony door. In this case, it is important to foresee the width of the lambrequin in advance. It is better to fix the product on a wooden or metal cornice in the appropriate style..
AdviceFor the manufacture of lambrequin it is necessary to make a pattern: a strip of dense, hard fabric. The length of the strip should be equal to the width of the opening together with the door, do not forget to add seam allowances. The width of the lambrequin is selected according to the dimensions of the wall from the ceiling to the beginning of the window.
For the kitchen, it is better to choose practical washable materials.
A solid braid or ribbon is sewn on top of the strip, which will serve as a place for rings and loops. The folds are made evenly, for this you can use the materials at hand, for example, a fork. The finished curtain will take its place on the window – it must be hung on the cornice near the ceiling.
For sewing a rigid lambrequin, use a thick fabric and self-adhesive material – thermobando. A pattern is made on the fabric, transferred to a thermobando, cut out. The two materials are folded facing each other and ironed with a steamer iron.
To fix the lambrequin on the cornice, sticky tape is attached to the material. The lambrequin itself is fixed on the cornice after placing the main curtain or tulle. The curtain decoration element can be made in various forms: diagonal, triangle, semicircle, rectangle.
Lambrequin is suitable when the bedroom requires additional decorative elements. If there are a lot of textile items in the room, you should refuse to use the part.. On the balcony door, the lambrequin will look cumbersome and ridiculous..