Stone countertop – changing the interior of the kitchen. Application features
The stone countertop for the kitchen makes cooking easier, decorates the room, and serves the owners for a long time. Let’s look at the most relevant options that can emphasize the character of your room..
Features of artificial stone
You can ask a question: why do you need to study the characteristics of the material, its features. Everything is simple enough. Manufacturers make furniture from MDF, DSD, wood, plastic glass. But furniture catalogs do not write about material shortcomings..
As a result, acquiring a “pig in a poke” eventually has to deal with mold at the joints, the side parts, which get water, swell. I will not further enumerate all the charms of cheap material..
Facilitates preparation, decorates the room, serves the owners for a long time
For kitchen work, it is necessary to choose furniture that is safe, does not emit harmful substances, is durable, and resists shock and falling dishes well. Why these features need to be taken into account? You need to be sure that no chips or cracks appear on the countertop after cooking chops or dropping a knife to the surface..
There are more important things. WITH furniture food is in contact, so the furniture must be safe for health. It was not in vain that I said about safety, since the name of the ingredients for the manufacture: polymer binders, aluminum trihydrate, acrylic resin can be embarrassing.
No need to worry: all ingredients for the production of liquid stone are thoroughly tested and do not affect health..
The high price of natural stone countertops makes them available only to a few. Unlike natural materials, artificial counterparts are cheaper. This material imitates natural stone well..
|Agglomerate||Decorative properties: long-lasting color. Resists abrasive materials and acids. Easy maintenance (does not require expensive detergents). Representative expensive view. Heat resistance (not afraid of hot and cold dishes). Long-lasting (does not lose its properties for 10 years).||The table top is heavy. Complex installation. A small selection of colors and textures. Joints are difficult to mask. Not being repaired.|
|Liquid stone||Persistent color (material does not fade, does not change shade during operation). No seams (no restrictions on the length of the table top). Scratches and impacts are repaired. Decorative look. Manufacturers can create complex shapes. Large selection of colors and textures. Easy to care for.||High price. Crumbling from strong blows. Poorly resistant to acids. Low temperature resistance (stands required). Complex installation. Long production time over 21 days.|
Perfect combination with wood
Let’s talk about the “liquid stone”. Do you think how you can combine the hardness of a stone and the flowing properties of a liquid? The developers of the artificial material took the beneficial properties of these substances. The result is an ideal kitchen surface..
What does it consist of:
- Polyester resins – 30 to 40 percent polymer binder.
- Colored granules – 60 to 70 percent decorative filler.
Fillers have a second name – chips. Their shade, size, texture affects the color and surface pattern. Manufacturers mix colored granules in different interpretations to obtain unique color compositions.
The manufacturing process is complex:
- The above-listed quality mixtures are prepared.
- Liquid stone is applied to the surface with specified dimensions and parameters. Consider where the sinks will be.
- The thickness of the layer is selected. Standard product size from 3mm to 15mm.
- Long drying process.
- Final surface polishing.
What makes such an offer attractive to you? I will cover three directions:
Let’s start with the latter. Liquid artificial stone is an order of magnitude cheaper than sheet and several times the price is lower than natural. At the same time, the work surface for the kitchen does not lose its attractive appearance for up to 10 years.
Withstands temperatures up to 180º
Countertops are ideal for the kitchen. Does not pass or absorb moisture (in any form). As a result, you don’t have to fight mold. Safe from a hygiene point of view. There are no pores in dense material, food debris does not remain on the surface. Consequently, bacteria, microbes have less room for reproduction.
What we get as a result: easier to clean, less pollution, no need to purchase expensive detergents. Everything is washed quickly and smoothly.
Withstands temperatures up to 180º. What could be better. No stands needed.
The interior becomes neater and more pleasing to the eye.
Will last for many years
And now about the main thing from a decorative point of view. Kitchen sets of various colors are made from this material..
They mimic well:
For lovers of modern design trends, manufacturers make products in white or black. The work surface and table become an art object.
Artificial liquid stone
Let’s talk about acrylic surfaces. The production uses acrylic, durable stone, such as granite and pigment. The viscous properties of this composition when mixed make it possible to produce any shape:
Let’s talk about the benefits for design and operation:
- Environmentally friendly. Hypoallergenic. It is important for cooking and health.
- It has an expensive and decorative look. Even laconic product options look solemn.
- There are no restrictions on the manufacture of any size and shape. In large rooms, tables are created without seams. It is easier to place the necessary furniture in small ones..
- Thanks to the technology, there are no joining seams. Food residues do not fall, edges do not deteriorate.
- Does not respond to ultra-violet rays, as a result does not fade over the years and retains its original color.
- More pleasant to the touch, unlike natural stone.
- A wide variety of colors in more than 500 different shades. It’s easy to choose the original option for yourself.
Let’s be honest: there are drawbacks.
Some you can overcome on your own:
- The main thing that scares off is the price in comparison with MDF, laminated surfaces, chipboard. But cheap materials have a number of disadvantages. One of them is fragility. And expensive artificial stone is durable.
- Low heat resistance of acrylic models. But this is solvable with decorative coasters..
- Long manufacturing period. It is necessary to adhere to the correct technology to get quality material..
- Complicated worktop installation process. Works are performed only by professional installers.
- Some models are destroyed by alkalis and acids. But if you consider that these materials are not used so often in the kitchen, then the danger is minimized..
There are no restrictions on the manufacture of any size and shape
Perhaps you think that the words: “you can make a tabletop of any shape” is a common advertising technique.
I’ll tell you about a production method called spraying. Designers develop a project and choose a color. Mix the ingredients. A liquid stone is applied layer by layer to a pre-cut chipboard workpiece.
Leave at a certain temperature for hardening, then carefully grind and carefully polish.
There is also a reverse method.. The liquid mixture is sprayed with a thin layer on the edges and bottom of the prepared form, then several more layers are added. After partial hardening, the workpiece is placed in the mold. For these works apply MDF or chipboard.
Has an expensive and decorative look
To remove air from above, I lay the load evenly. Withstand one and a half to two hours. After that, the load is removed and the entire structure is filled with a mortar for finishing..
After that, the process is repeated, as in the first case:
As a result, the base or workpiece is protected from the external environment. Unusual curves are created. The ends are neat. Below I will talk about the use of various types of liquid stone for interior decoration. You will understand why this material remains in demand.
Modern quartz agglomerate models
Quartz agglomerate is often recommended for kitchen countertops for several reasons. Why would you want to know the details? Do I need to delve into the production process? Find out what characteristics the material has?
But let’s think about why there are special requirements for kitchen furniture? Safety, resistance to physical stress, heat resistance are important.
Consider the benefits of a stone:
- It is easier to choose a uniform tone for furniture of complex shapes, consisting of several fragments. Interior beauty and harmony are guaranteed. This is important both in neoclassical interiors of large houses and in laconic kitchens in standard panel houses..
- It is not difficult to model parts from the material. It bends well and lends itself to processing. No cracks appear during production.
- Withstands very high loads, so heavy kitchen equipment can be safely installed. It does not deform the countertop.
- Durable headsets, thanks to the exclusive qualities of the material, turn into antiques over time. If you choose the classic version, then it will not get bored for a long time and will always be in trend..
- It lends itself well to processing: it is easy to cut a hole for a sink or hob. Some materials crumble during such manipulations, and moisture does its job and the headset falls apart. Such a misfortune will not happen with an artificial stone..
- Not afraid of the effects of acids and aggressive chlorine compounds, which are used for cleaning.
- Resistant to mold and mildew. Waterproof.
- Resists temperature extremes well, which is extremely important when cooking.
Easily choose a uniform tone for complex furniture
It has no natural (natural) background radiation, unlike natural stones. This feature is a priority for kitchen furniture. The family gets wholesome, safe food.
Find out about the disadvantages to make the right choice. As we said above: he who is warned is protected.
There are not many of them, but there are:
- The maximum length of the slab is 3 m. If it is necessary to produce furniture of greater length, it is not always possible to perfectly mask the joint seams. However, this problem can be solved with decorative transition pads or filled with a colored glue-based pigment..
- The surface is not restored. But let’s be frank, few of the owners from morning to evening knock on the surface of the furniture with a hammer..
- The workpiece is transported exclusively in an upright position. But this is more a manufacturer’s problem. They organize transportation and installation on kitchen.
- Thin slabs: from 20 to 30 mm. If necessary, the thickness is increased by gluing.
Application in interiors
Manufacturing features are described in order to evaluate the physical characteristics of the material. Manufacturing technology was mentioned not for the sake of a word. Artificial stone is ideal for making high-quality, durable kitchen furniture.
AdviceAfter reading about the pros and cons, it is easier to choose the type of stone that is suitable for an apartment or house. As you noticed, some with high strength, others create a seamless monolithic connection..
Stylish, beautiful kitchen
If you need to make corner tables, bar counter an unusual shape, a kitchen island, to create an exquisite combination of a sink countertop, a dilemma arises as to which material to use. It is difficult to make chipboard, MDF, ceramic tiles do not have sufficient strength, wood and natural stone are expensive. The advantages of artificial stone are evident.
Modern trend: the worktop and the backsplash are made in the same way. In this case, care is facilitated. The absence of gaps between the tiles guarantees cleanliness and an attractive appearance.
Corner kitchens are placed in various ways. It can be L-shaped or U-shaped. It can be considered convenient to combine a standard working area and a window sill.
Part of the countertop is used as a dining table.
For lovers of exclusiveness, a wonderful opportunity to place a hob on a semicircular model. In this case, it is better to choose electric or induction hobs with two burners. They look more harmonious than gas.
oneFor classic interiors develop models with iconic features of the historical style. The perfect combination: worktop, dining table and a kitchen island, a bar counter is made of material imitating green malachite, marble. The room takes on a majestic look. For classic interiors, an imitation of stone carving is created.
2Modern differs in smooth lines. The work surface seems to flow into sink. Accessories imitate floral motifs. The table top is complemented by skirting boards that create a smooth transition to ceramic tiles and prevent debris from entering the table.
3Empire style, classic – strict forms with clear geometry of dark color. Gilded fittings, doors with decorative overlay elements. You shouldn’t choose round or oval shapes. Austerity emphasizes greatness.
Modern is characterized by smooth lines
4Baroque, rococo – light marble, graceful shapes. Fancy overlays on the facades. For baroque – acanthus leaves, rococo are complemented with imitation of shells. This technique gives the interior lightness and airy pretentiousness..
fiveFor provence suitable model repeating the structure of sand or pebbles, “bleached” granite. This corresponds to the main features of the “sunny” style..
Each style is a manifestation of your personality.
7Loft the urban style is distinguished by a subtle combination of rough details and presentable furniture. Graphite color does not distract attention and emphasizes the decor of the room.
eightPop Art bright modern style allows a flight of imagination in the choice of colors and shapes. It is completely opposite to the fundamental classical styles. It was this direction that gave innovations in ergonomics and a bright, slightly flashy color scheme..
Make your choice deliberately, having familiarized yourself in advance with all the styles.
nineHigh tech – the combination of the latest technologies, the promotion of the aesthetics of materials are chosen by people who are young at heart and prefer minimalism with a large use of metal and modern artificial materials.
In modern interiors, an interesting combination: a white dining table and a black work surface. The combination of green and brown is soothing. Beige creates a calm atmosphere.
There are several factors to consider when choosing the color of your countertop. It can complement the general color direction of the design, become a color spot, mask room imperfections (small size, elongated shape).
It will be interesting for you:
Daily grooming to maintain order
Detergents are chosen depending on the type of artificial stone. If you have any questions, check with the manufacturer. Basic tips below.
The agglomerate is not afraid of acids, abrasive detergents and high temperatures. There will be no problem with him. You can safely put on a hot pot or pan. Acrylic compounds have a wide range of colors and textures.
Looks expensive and bohemian
It’s a little different with liquid artificial stone.
AdviceAcidic cleaners should be avoided. Use dish coasters. Do not drop objects onto the countertop. The material is not resistant to impacts. Wash with neutral dish detergents. In case of heavy contamination, it is enough to add a little Domestos (or a similar product).