Interior design of a large modern Kitchen: 200+ (Photo) ideas for design (curtains, wallpaper, bar counter)
Oddly enough, large kitchens can be just as difficult to decorate as small ones. With a small space, specific tricks are needed: how to make it visually larger? How to fit into it all those necessary things that so need to fit into it? How to make it convenient to use, despite the fact that there is little space and it is difficult to move around without touching anything? More details later in the article.
Important nuances of planning
Of course, there are no such problems with a big one. You don’t need to do it anymore, all the necessary things will fit perfectly without tricks, it is quite difficult to touch something.
Plenty of room for creative ideas
But then there are others, with the solution of which you will also have to come up with something: how to make sure that the kitchen does not resemble a non-residential premises because of its size? How to arrange everything so that you do not have to painfully walk from one cabinet to another, and then to the stove, and then to refrigerator, tired and annoyed at the same time? How to make the space cozy, but not lose the feeling of spaciousness.
There are some helpful tips to solve all this..
Arrange in the kitchen furniture – this, of course, is not the first stage of the repair. But to think over how it will be arranged is worth much in advance, so that, when starting to finish, correctly arrange the working and dining room zones.
It is important to think over the arrangement of furniture
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: Ideas for kitchen design in a private house: 130+ photos and layout options
The triangle rule
Every person who knows how to cook at least a little knows that there are three main objects in the kitchen, around which the whole kitchen life revolves:
- this is a refrigerator from which food is taken out and into which excess is removed;
- it is a stove on which everything is cooked, stewed, fried, and in which everything is baked;
- this is a sink over which vegetables are cleaned, in which they are washed, in which water is collected.
Everything you need at hand
To make it convenient for the one who cooks, you need to make sure that an isosceles triangle is formed between these objects, and its sides should not be too long. Then it will be easy and convenient to move between them..
In a small kitchen, the “triangle” rule can be neglected – everything is at hand there. In a large kitchen, it must be observed..
Bright large kitchen in a private house
Anything you may need while cooking should also be at hand. Tableware? In the locker next to the stove, for example. Cereals and vegetables? In the lower drawers of the same cabinet. Spices? Somewhere on the shelf. Everything should be close, otherwise the one who cooks will have to rush not only around the kitchen, but throughout the house to deliver the necessary pan from the pantry or from another room.
Accessibility rule in the form of open cabinets
It will be interesting for you: REVIEW: Kitchen design with a balcony (100+ Photos): We are for the unification of space!!!
In any kitchen, zones should be observed, even in a small one, but their role becomes key for a large one. The large kitchen has just enough space for them to open up and look beautiful.. Usually there are:
- Working area. It includes a refrigerator, stove, sink and work surface – as a rule, these are kitchen cabinets. This also includes a storage subzone – these are various shelves, lockers and other places in which everything you need is stored. The work area is usually decorated with the most stable materials, because it always splashes fat, then something spills, then instead of a forgotten board, a curbstone is used directly. Here they put linoleum on the floor or tiles, the wall is covered with the same tiles or plastic if the repair is temporary. You can also cover part of the wall with metal, but this is expensive and quite extravagant in appearance – the kitchen immediately begins to resemble either the kitchen of a large restaurant, or an operating room..
- Dinner Zone. This includes table and chairs – in this area, it is invited to eat not only for the family, but also for guests. The table can look different – it can be adjacent to the main headset, it can stand completely separately. It can also be replaced. bar counter. Only your budget can limit you..
Dining area in the kitchen
In a large kitchen, you can add more zones to them, for which, with a small or medium size, there is simply no place.
This could be:
- Rest zone. If you like to drink coffee thoughtfully, invite good friends and sit with them in peace and quiet, if you like soft sofas, cozy armchair, if you like to read and think that the kitchen is the best place to sit comfortably – this area is for you. Usually it represents a separate sofa (usually a corner one), which is not intended for eating, but simply to relax. Sometimes it can be a couple of chairs with a small table next to it. If your kitchen adjoins balcony – you can take out the recreation area to it, and then you can enjoy not only comfort, but also the view.
- Breakfast area“. Sometimes people perceive the dining area as a place where the whole family can gather and have a good meal, but they like to have a quick snack somehow else. In the breakfast area, for example. This is usually a small table that adjoins the main headset. It can be retractable or folding, it can be a bar counter, or even be installed in an arch specially allocated for it. Its main purpose is a quick meal, and not in company, but alone, when you are too lazy to set the table..
Minimalist style with seating area
Sometimes, for better zoning, the work area is separated from the dining area by a bar counter. Firstly, it expands the working space, secondly, it acts as an area for single meals, and thirdly, it looks great, fits well into some interiors.
Instead of a bar counter, you can use a partition, the bottom of which will be, for example, brick, and the top made of frosted glass or thick paper.
Although, of course, you can always limit yourself to different materials and lighting accents..
Separation of the bar counter from the dining area
The last rule is the mandatory layout of the light. It will be dark in a large kitchen if you do not take care of this in advance, so you must definitely think about how this will be done.
You will need:
- Basic lamp for each zone. It could be chandelier, a light bulb in a lampshade or without a lampshade at all. As a rule, the main luminaire is ceiling-mounted, it should fit well with the main style..
- Additional luminaires. The main lights are usually not enough to illuminate all the little things, and good visibility in the kitchen is a must. Therefore, for each place where there are problems with lighting, a separate light source is needed. In the working area, it can be an LED strip that will illuminate everything you need. In the dining area, there is a small table lamp on the table. In the recreation area – a floor lamp, for example. It is convenient if each of the sources has its own outlet..
- Decorative accents. For a kitchen to look good, it may not be enough to just light it up. You may need specific light accents that highlight something important. For example, you have a style loft, there is a beautiful poster on the wall that you really like. A good solution would be to insert a pair of LEDs into the wall next to it so that it can be seen well, so that the attention of an outside observer is immediately attracted to it. Or you modern, you are very proud of the small glass vase that sits on the shelf next to the TV. Swipe the tape along the edge of the shelf – the visual effect will immediately change!
There is never a lot of lighting
AdviceBased on the results of the rules, it turns out that it is important to ensure the presence of a triangle, make everything accessible, highlight the zones and beautifully highlight the result.
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: Design of a small-sized kitchen in Khrushchev: 190 + Photos of real and practical layouts
Furniture arrangement: work area
In addition to following the basic rules, it also plays a role in how correctly you arrange the furniture in the kitchen. If it stands too close, the kitchen will become less spacious in appearance, if you place it too far from each other, it will feel like you can get lost in the kitchen.
We arrange everything so that it is convenient
Due to the incorrect arrangement of furniture, you can get the feeling that your kitchen is too narrow, too small or frankly cramped.. Therefore, you need to approach the issue with some caution..
The working area can be decorated in the following ways:
- Arrange furniture in one line. Quite a controversial decision, since the kitchen with it begins to seem “overloaded” on one side. Usually, one line is advised for small rooms, where there is simply no other way – or for an end wall, which is easy to balance with a bar counter with a dining area behind it. It is better not to place furniture on a long wall..
- Arrange furniture in two lines. As a result, if you have a narrow large kitchen, you will get a natural corridor – so it’s better to choose something else. But if you do not have such a problem, the solution is quite possible to use. Arrange furniture along long walls, but not completely. At the end wall (it will look especially good if there is a window there), arrange a dining area. The passage between the lines must be at least a meter, otherwise it will be inconvenient. The sink should be located on one side, a stove with a refrigerator on the other – or in any other combination, the main thing is that the “triangle” rule is observed.
Linear layout in the kitchen
- Arrange the furniture in the shape of the letter “L”. With this arrangement, there is a lot of free space. In the center of it, you can place a dining area, at one of the walls that are not occupied by the headset, put a sofa for the relaxation area. The main thing is to arrange so that the headset does not block access to the window, otherwise you will have difficulties in order to open it in the summer, in the heat, and in order to wash it.
- Arrange furniture in the shape of the letter “P”. This arrangement frees up space for the dining area – it can be placed between the “P” legs or at a slight distance from them. Looks “P” – the arrangement is usually impressive, looks good in classic styles and where people who like to cook live.
Arrangement of furniture with the letter “G”
When the typeface is arranged – of course, for a start on paper – the turn of the dining area comes.
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: Kitchen design: 130+ Photos – new items of 2017 for every taste
Furniture arrangement: dining area
The dining area consists of a table with chairs, and the table can be of completely different types:
- Island. Such a table is the most suitable solution for a large kitchen, since it is in a spacious room that it can only be placed. It stands apart from the headset, like an island far from the mainland. There are a bunch of chairs around him – usually they are in the same style, from the same factory. A lamp is hung over the table, which sets it apart in a separate area. The table can be rectangular in shape – this is a classic shape, familiar, not distinguished by originality – but it can be round or oval. This solution looks more interesting, well suited for a home where a large family lives with children – it is more difficult to hurt yourself on a table without corners. Round tables are a visiting card of the Provence style, in which they look especially advantageous..
- Peninsula table. Such a table adjoins sideways to the working surface of the headset or to the wall. It is devoid of the island’s isolation, but still looks quite impressive. It can be rectangular, it can be semicircular – at the request of the owners.
To visually separate it from the work surface, it is usually made higher or lower..
- Bar counter. Commonly used in either contemporary styles or a parody of an American Wild West saloon. Twenty centimeters taller than a standard chair requires a special selection of chairs – they must be high, with a footrest, preferably rotating, so that it is easy to get off. The stand can stand apart, it can adjoin the working surface, there is no fundamental difference. Above it, lamps are usually arranged in a row, suitable for the main style. So, for example, in a loft, these are bare light bulbs that do not even have lampshades..
- Folding or pull-out table. In a large kitchen, it loses its practical purpose – to save space – and becomes a great addition to the breakfast area. It unfolds and slides out either from the wall or from the main headset only when someone needs a bite to eat. It is somewhat reminiscent of the tables on the train, it can even be beaten. Usually, a lone built-in lamp is placed above such a table, which can be used instead of an overhead light..
- Movable table. It is usually used either to move dishes from the working area to the dining area – you can do this with your hands, but the serving table looks more interesting – or to deliver a light snack to the recreation area. Can be a great accessory for one of the classic styles.
With a large dining area
As a result, it turns out that the table can either adjoin the headset, or against the wall, or stand completely separately – and it is the latter solution that is best suited for a large kitchen.
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: Kitchen design with a bar counter (220+ Photos) – The ability to create a beautiful and modern interior
To choose a color, decide what curtains will be and whether you need textiles, you can use ready-made cheat sheets – that is, interior styles that are invented are used by designers around the world.
Minimalist modern styles are often used in small rooms – this helps to save space, not to constantly drop unnecessary accessories on yourself, and not to clutter up the space with many unnecessary little things. But only in a large kitchen you can really turn around with them..
We decorate in the loft style
The first of these styles is the loft. Made in America, in an industrial setting, it loses some of its chic in a small space. A large kitchen is another matter.
- Colors. Discreet. White. Grey. Black in small quantities. Concrete color, brick red color. Accessories put bright accents.
- Decor. Ceiling cover plaster – or even leave it as it is – and beams are made on top. The walls are covering brick, and then they partially paint it or plaster it – this is how you can highlight a recreation area, for example. A concrete screed is left on the floor or imitated.
- Furniture. The headset should be dark with shiny metallic inserts. A high metal shelf can act as a storage area. The dining area is a bar counter, above which Edison bulbs are fixed, without lampshades. You can put a leather sofa in the sitting area.
- Accessories. There are few accessories – graffiti or posters on the walls, figurines in ethnic style. There are no requirements for dishes.
The colors in this style are discreet and gloomy.
It is interesting that the lighting in the loft should be maximum, but extravagant. There are no curtains on the windows, lamps on the bar counter, the same above the working area, above the recreation area.
You can hang them on cords of different lengths – this will make them look even more interesting..
AdviceMost modern styles vaguely resemble a loft. A small number of accessories, light colors, a sense of spaciousness, zoning, extravagant lighting. Somewhere more technique is required, somewhere the colors slide closer to black, but the minimalist essence does not change..
The absence of curtains in the loft only emphasizes the style effect.
This is the main advantage of modern styles – they leave a feeling of freedom and simplicity..
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: Kitchen Layout in a Private House: 175+ Photos of Variety of Styles, Colors and Coziness
The English style came from nineteenth century England – from town houses, from what is now considered classics. It is distinguished by its elegance, but at the same time, it is also somewhat heavy, which, to one degree or another, is inherent in all classical styles..
Requires the following steps in registration:
- Colors. The shades are deep, but not too bright – beige, wood color, mustard, Red, dark red, dark green. The main thing in any color is that it should be muted. English style does not allow anything flashy.
- Finishing. Floor from wood with tiles – in the dining and working areas, respectively. It is desirable that he be in a large cage. Paint is applied to the walls, preferably matte, or wallpaper, similar to textile or paper. Additionally, you can sheathe their bottom with wood – this will make the result more interesting. In the working area, instead of these beautiful, but not too stable materials, square tiles are used. The ceiling is light, matte. You can decorate it with stucco.
Wooden floor, paint on the walls – typical for this style
- Furniture. The table should be round, chairs with soft seats. They should be made of wood or “wood-like”, look simple, solid, reliable. The headset should also be wooden, with panels that will provide it with relief. You can add additional threads, it will look good too.
- Accessories. The light is warm, yellowish, the ceiling chandelier should be complemented by small sconces. Lots of textiles – curtains with lumbriquins, tablecloth plaid, embroidered napkins. Family look good photos, simple still lifes. Old metal dishes will look great.
The main thing is not too bright colors
It is important that you do not see any modern technology – it will destroy the whole image that you so carefully created. You can put it in the headset, close it with facades so that its very presence is not obvious.
It is better to take a gas stove, you can even artificially aged.
AdviceAll classic styles do not like modern technology, but this does not mean that you need to abandon it. A microwave oven can imitate a cupboard, a food processor can stand on a mezzanine, and your favorite dishwasher can disguise itself as a simple kitchen cabinet..
Aristocratic style of modern cuisine
In fact, all classical styles are somewhat similar to English. They prefer natural materials, are simple, fill the space as much as possible, cannot stand synthetics, modern technology, white bright light. The main feeling from them is the usual home comfort in its most traditional sense..
Warm colors, an abundance of textiles, intricate stucco moldings, carvings, an abundance of accessories – we can say that classic styles are the exact opposite of modern ones. And this is what their fans often like very much..
Natural materials and an abundance of textiles
VIDEO: Interior design of a large kitchen
The design of a large kitchen is an opportunity to apply imagination without annoying restrictions like a lack of square meters. Perhaps this process in itself will be almost more pleasant for you than the result..