MDF panels for the kitchen – 250+ (Photo) Finishing options
MDF panels for the kitchen are the most common way to decorate this room. They have all the necessary characteristics that make this material suitable for this room..
MDF panels are made from small wood fibers, which are pre-cleaned from debris. They are thoroughly dried and treated with binders. The resulting substance is formed into molds of a certain thickness, pressed under high pressure, temperature.
Then they go through the grinding process, they are given color, using paints and varnishes, PVC film, coating the surface with plastic. The most environmentally friendly is MDF sheet, faced with natural veneer, covered with a pattern or photo printing.. This is how MDV slabs are made, which are often used for finishing a working wall or as it is also called, apron.
A common way to decorate a kitchen
- Environmental friendliness. Material for this parameter is not inferior to wood. It is made from fibers wood. It does not include synthetic additives, glue with harmful impurities.
- Moisture resistance. The boards have a dense structure that does not allow moisture to pass through. During production, the material goes through several stages. Pressing under high pressure, temperature ensures high density. Therefore, the material is resistant to high humidity..
- High mechanical strength. The material is difficult to damage: scratch, dent. All material is produced under high pressure. It has a high density, it is also covered with films or varnishes, which increase its resistance to mechanical damage..
- Heat resistance. Plates are not damaged by temperature and humidity drops. Materials suitable for mounting on kitchen covered with foil or varnish, depending on the model. This protective layer prevents the penetration of moisture, elevated temperature into the inner layers.
- The variety of species presented in the stores makes it possible to create a beautiful interior. There are models suitable for sex, walls, aprons. Different colors and textures, shades, patterns – all this contributes to the selection of material for different interiors.
In terms of environmental friendliness, it is not inferior to wood
For manufacturing, wood-based panels are used. Depending on the technology used, they acquire different properties, appearance. They can be divided into groups:
- One-piece pressed – panels are manufactured under pressure. They have a smooth surface on both sides. Such models are covered with a protective layer..
- Laminated – after the main production stage, one side is coated with a film. It protects the surface from damage, gives it a glossy or matte sheen.
- Moisture resistant sheets are a versatile material. It hides the imperfections of the walls – all their irregularities, is not damaged by moisture. Outwardly, the sheets resemble plastic, they are smooth to the touch, even.
Plates have a dense structure that does not allow moisture to pass through
By the way the front surface is designed:
- Glossy panels. The material is often used in the production of furniture facades. The MDF surface is protected with a dense layer of polyester or primer. The primer has enhanced properties, qualities: a mirror-glossy surface is formed, resistant to scratches and other damage.
- Veneered – have a natural wood texture. For imitation, a thin layer of natural wood veneer is used, which is applied after the final stage of making the slabs.
- Painted panels – after manufacturing, the surfaces are covered with paint of different colors. It smooths out irregularities, gives them a beautiful look. The material is painted with a damage-resistant paint of any shades and tones.
- Panels with 3D effect. This is a chance to create a custom design. Decorative MDF panels with 3d effect – know-how in the construction market. This method consists in applying to the finishing material by painting in various colors to imitate waves, geometric shapes, carvings, relief. Decorating a room with such material helps to solve the most complex design ideas..
They have a dense structure that does not allow moisture to pass through
- Lining or rack – the strips are made in the form of a rectangle. They can be made in different widths. To fasten them together, locks are created along the length of each panel. This material can be used for walls, ceilings. The lining has two types: small panels up to 1 meter in length and structures, the length of which reaches 2 meters.
- MDF sheet panels – used for finishing walls, ceilings. Produced in large sheets. If you use them for editing, the picture is seamless. May have a drawing on the front side.
- Tiled – imitate tiles. Installation takes place according to the rack and pinion principle – groove, hook. The material is used for cladding surfaces located close to the worktop.
The material is resistant to high humidity
The thickness of the slab can be different:
- the most subtle. The material has a thickness of 5 to 9 mm. It has low weight, low strength. Most often used for finishing the ceiling in the kitchen. Such models are easily damaged, so they cannot be used for wall cladding, apron;
- average thickness from 10 to 18 mm – used for wall cladding in the kitchen, in the manufacture of furniture. This is a strong material, but during installation it takes up useful space;
- the largest thickness is from 19 to 38 mm. They are used for wall and floor cladding. They are effective in private houses when two problems need to be solved: to make the walls beautiful, even, to insulate the room. They are used in apartments as floor coverings, as well as facing for end walls.
Material is difficult to damage: scratch, dent
Resistant to surface damage is considered to be MDF coated with plastic, environmentally friendly – with natural veneer facing, and spectacular – with photo printing.
Wall panels can also be divided according to texture – they are smooth or embossed. Smooth models visually increase the space. They are used for cladding the walls of kitchens that have a small area. But embossed models look more impressive. They are less visible various damages that are inevitable during operation. They are easier to care for.
Kitchen cladding options
At first glance, it may seem that the best solution would be to revet all kitchen surfaces with this material. However, the result obtained rarely gives the desired effect. Only in large kitchens will this material look good on all surfaces: ceiling, walls.
Of course, you can connect your imagination, using the play of colors, textures to create the desired effect. For example, warm colors are used for the dining area. Sheet veneered sheets are suitable.
For the working area, you can take brighter models – glossy or with photo printing in bright colors. But nevertheless, it is better to use such techniques for decorating a kitchen in a country house or a country house, where its area allows you to experiment.
There are smooth and embossed options
Partial finishing is used for these premises in the apartment. This can be a finish on the bottom of a wall, an apron, or a ceiling. For walls, a material that visually resembles ceramic tiles is suitable. It looks impressive. You can use various colors, textures. Minor emphasis is created. But for the ceiling it is better to use slatted panels in warm shades: light beige, blue, cream.
Glossy white models on the ceiling will look spectacular.
The decorated work wall looks beautiful. You can use materials of different types. Apply contrasting colors, make bright accents. For example, a kitchen made in a beige shade, and an apron in a dark brown. Moreover, you can use material that is different in its texture. With glossy facades, use slabs that imitate lining.
Do not choose the same material for wall and ceiling cladding. It should be different in texture or color, so as not to visually reduce the volume and height of the room..
Panels are not damaged by temperature drops
MDF panels with photo printing
Photo printing on MDF panels is applied in several ways:
- the drawing is applied to the films. Then it is glued onto the finished panels. This is a short-lived, cheap way to paint panels. Such materials are not resistant to moisture and are susceptible to damage;
- the drawing is applied to acrylic plastic, which is covered with a layer of varnish on top. It protects the material, therefore, photo-printed panels made in this way are more resistant to damage, moisture;
- for production with photo printing, the technology of “hot lining” is used. The image is applied to the surface, and then it is covered with several layers of varnish. The multi-layer board is highly resistant to damage and moisture. Such models are used in the kitchen for an apron. The negative point is the high cost.
Using photo printing
Compared to other materials used in kitchen wall cladding, MDF panels have a number of advantages:
- installation is easy, does not require the use of special tools. Installation can be done independently. Installation requires a level, glue;
- each model has a protective layer. Such plates can withstand changes in temperature and humidity. They are easy to clean and do not require special care using special detergents, cleaning agents;
- the brightness and richness of colors remains forever. When painting, a special paint is used that does not lose its brightness during use;
- many MDF manufacturers make a wide variety of colors, shades, textures, shapes. It will not be difficult to choose the right model;
- the weight of the panel structure will be insignificant. A minimum amount of glue is used during installation.
Beautiful, floral apron
With photo printing in the interior
For this premises, it is recommended to purchase them with a thickness of no more than 12 mm. Then they will not take up space, but at the same time they will be reliable, resistant to damage. Such structures are reliable, they can only be damaged if specially pressed with a knife or other sharp object..
For a room in light colors, products with bright accents are suitable, but the color and shade depend on where the panels will be located. If it is an apron, you can make it in rich colors..
Drawings of butterflies, ocean, nature will look beautiful. If the wall is decorated, for example, in the dining area, then you can pay attention to more muted tones. For a kitchen in a minimalist or modern style, it is better to choose an image of a night city or a bridge, a beautiful night sky with the moon.
If the kitchen is small in size, opt for a play of shades and textures. This way you can dilute the colors and visually increase the space. The floor of this room should be in harmony with the wall covering, so you need to pay attention to this too. Furniture in bright colors balances MDF with natural texture.
MDF panels made with 3D photo printing are an extraordinary decorative element that will transform the kitchen and give a new stylish look. Such models can be placed both in the dining area and on the work wall. The choice of painting depends on the general style of the room, the color of the furniture..
10 years ago, many did not even know what can be installed instead of tiles, porcelain stoneware on the working wall – MDV panels. This material was previously used only in the manufacture of furniture and other structures, where quality and a high aesthetic component are important.. But thanks to manufacturers and their tireless work in the field of improving the properties of this material and increasing its beauty, MDF boards of different colors, patterns, sizes and shapes have appeared on the construction market of finishing materials..
An apron is a place that is located between the countertop in the kitchen and the top drawers.. This part of the wall is located near the stove, the work surface, where all processes take place during cooking: cutting, chopping, cutting meat, etc. Therefore, it must be reliably protected..
Previously, ceramic tiles or porcelain stoneware were used for decoration..
These materials have limited color schemes, their color is not bright and with their help you cannot decorate the walls of the kitchen, just protect them..
MDF performs two functions at once – it protects the walls, all the fat, water drops remain on it, while being easily removed, and also decorative – the apron looks very beautiful. With its help, you can place the necessary accents in the kitchen, make it attractive and unusual..
The work area can be decorated in the same color as the table top. This method is successful if a popular design is being made – a single work area. A single color will visually separate the place for cooking.
The color of the apron should not be defiant, because you will have to look at it often and for more than one year, but it should not be dull and dull.
Be very careful with gray. It’s beautiful and eye-catching, but not in the kitchen. A room decorated in this tone will be gloomy, but if you use them with this shade, but interspersed with yellow, gold, they will become a stabilizer..
Today, the trend is red, cherry shades. Popular green, natural wood, brown colors. According to the designers, the color of scarlet maple leaves, turquoise, azure looks beautiful in the interior. Shades in the style of Provence, white gloss, coffee with milk are in demand.
In the design of the dining room
When choosing the size of the apron for the kitchen, you need to take into account that it should go a few centimeters behind the top and bottom edge of the cabinets..
No color is perfect for all kitchen sets and designs. His choice depends on personal preference and the furniture used. Some people choose to match the color of the main tone of the walls..
However, these colors can only match in two variations:
- If the wall where the furniture is installed differs in tone from others.
- If you need to create a neutral environment.
Most designers agree that the color should be in harmony with the furniture, while it can be in the same color range or be contrasting. A contrasting color is chosen for the white model. Indeed, white itself is very boring, but with a bright combination it will sparkle in a new way. It’s good if the range of the apron is supported by accessories..
The color of the apron should not be provocative
It is more difficult to choose a panel if the furniture issingle color. Then the apron should match the color of the headset..
- light green and purple – unusual colors that look beautiful in tandem;
- yellow and green – a combination that suits different styles;
- white and red – can be used in small kitchens;
- white and dark-grey – suitable for rooms of various sizes;
- rich pink and black – will give individuality and bright accents;
- bed shades and bright prints on the apron.
Such models can be thematic – with pictures and images. Images of fruits and vegetables are appropriate for the kitchen. But there may be other images on the panel..
The work area can be decorated in the same color as the table top
Various design techniques are used in the interior. Different materials are used to highlight accents, decorate with materials that are different in texture.
If the work area in the kitchen is the place where the action takes place, it can be decorated in bright colors, have bold accents. The dining area is the part of the room where people eat. It should be comfortable and cozy. Juicy colors are not allowed here. As a rule, this wall is completely decorated with material. And if recently wallpaper was used as a material, now it is MDF panels.. Such cladding is much more profitable than tiles and other finishes:
- high quality material. The walls are protected, they are not damaged from scratches, they are not rubbed. Repair in the kitchen will have its original appearance for a long time;
- using different textures, colors, you can divide the dining area. Thanks to the variety of colors, it is possible to create a unique interior;
- MDF panels can visually expand the space. They are used in rooms with a small area;
- the price of such material is lower than tiles, but higher than wallpaper. At the same time, the quality and durability are better than these materials..
According to the designers, MDF structures are the best option for decorating walls in the kitchen. If this room is spacious, has a rectangular shape or is combined with the living room, you can use panels to make a partition, visually dividing them. These can be panels resembling lining, with a varnish coating..
In rooms with a small area, this material is used to trim the opposite side from the working one. These can be models, both with photo printing, and ordinary seamless sheets, cut to the size of the free area..
Veneered boards or beautiful designs should be chosen with a natural shade. It is suitable for the dining area. Such material will be more beautiful than ordinary tiles and more practical. wallpaper.
MDF is the best option for decorating walls in the kitchen
It will be interesting for you:
Installation method: installation of the structure
Installation is an easy and quick business that anyone can handle. To start installation, you need to remove old nails, covering, tile glue or wallpaper from the walls. If there are strong irregularities, they need to be plastered. The walls are treated with an anti-fungal compound to prevent mold growth. On the plates, you immediately need to cut the necessary holes for sockets and switches.
After that, you need to attach a mounting plate that will hold the panels during installation. After the end of the work, it is removed. It is fastened with a dowel, you need to check the levels, its evenness.
- Installed with liquid nails. This process is suitable for flat walls. If there are irregularities, it is better to eliminate them with a putty. The surface lies flat, there are no joints and no fasteners are visible.
- Installation with wooden slats. This method is suitable for those whose walls in the kitchen are uneven, have holes and significant drops. When installing in this way, the attachment points are visible.
Installation of panels on glue
This installation method is not suitable for all types. The glue holds the sheets more reliably, the thickness of which does not exceed 18 mm. Surfaces can only be glued onto flat walls.. If, after removing the old coating, irregularities remain on them, you need to putty. Permissible fluctuations are 2-3 mm.
This material is easy to install
For safe handling of glue, you need to use rubber gloves and a respirator!
Scheme of pasting walls with MDF panels:
- the working surface is thoroughly cleaned of the old coating. Paint, wallpaper and other finishing materials are removed. If the surface is uneven, it must be leveled with plaster. All surfaces are primed. A primer is used against the formation of mold and mildew. It improves adhesion;
- if the cladding is complete, that is, the walls are pasted over with panels from floor to ceiling, an edge must be installed near the plinth itself. It can be of two types: a metal profile or a wooden lath. The first bar is level. This will simplify the work of installing the remaining plates;
- if the boards are of small width, the glue is applied over the entire surface in a dotted manner in a checkerboard pattern. If the sheet material is installed and its area is large, the glue is applied to the plate and to the wall so that when pressed on the surface it is evenly distributed over the entire surface..
The interior is made under a light wood
Installation starts from the corner. The first tile is applied to the wall surface, pressed and tapped with a rubber mallet. This must be done carefully, checking the evenness of gluing using a level. If the first panel is laid with a slope, then all subsequent ones will be uneven. If lining or tiles are glued, the correct laying is checked by the level every 5 fragments. If during installation, excess glue protrudes out, it must be immediately removed from the surface. This is done with a cloth soaked in water or alcohol solution. After the entire surface is laid, the necessary fittings are installed – corners, skirting boards, etc..
During installation, you can use “liquid nails” or special universal glue.
Installation on a frame or lathing
If the walls of the kitchen have significant defects, you need to make a frame for the wall panels. It can be made of two types of materials – aluminum and wood. This type of cladding is also used when installing the ceiling, hidden wiring.
Lining or rack – made in the shape of a rectangle
- if an aluminum profile is used as a frame, it cannot be processed. If a wooden lath is used, it must be impregnated with a composition against rotting and the formation of fungus;
- the wall is subjected to the same treatment. They can have significant irregularities, it is primed more thoroughly in order to fill all the cracks and holes with the composition;
- lathing is performed. When installing slabs on walls, the lathing is installed in increments of 40-50 cm. However, its first row should be no more than 4-5 cm from the ceiling and floor. For the ceiling, the lathing is made with a smaller step of 20-30 cm;
- the frame is attached to the surface using self-tapping screws for metal or wood, depending on the material. Fixing step 50 cm.After installing the battens, you need to check the evenness using a level.
Has a large width and length
Installation of panels starts from the corner. The first slab is attached to the crate with nails. They should be positioned so that they are covered with decorative inserts.. During installation, you need to check the evenness of the laying.
The use of material in the headliner
The next slab is installed in the lock and is also attached to the frame. After installing the entire structure, the inner and outer corners are mounted, the plinth is laid.