Puzzle mats for children – Soft floor: we develop with comfort (145+ Photos)
Young parents often buy foam mats for their children for any occasion. The popularity of coatings is associated with their quality, convenience, and decorative effect. Before purchasing a product, you need to understand its varieties, differences in models. This will help you buy a safe and comfortable cover for your baby. The details of the rug should be bright, interesting, dirt-repelling and easy to clean. More details later in the article.
Content of this article:
For a nursery, it is more difficult to choose a carpet that meets the declared functions. Synthetics get dirty quickly, not always suitable for environmental parameters, and natural bristles cannot always be cleaned.
A puzzle mat will be a worthy choice for a child
Puzzle rugs (soft floor) are becoming a popular, modern product, the features of which we will consider in our material.
The size of each module can be equal to 25-100 cm, and in one set, different puzzles are sold or the same in shape, product parameters. The base of each rug is a rubberized material, and the outer part is as follows:
- Foamed polymer in one shade or with patterns.
- Material with a heterogeneous structure with an orthopedic effect.
- Coating with a “memory” effect, where the prints of children’s footprints remain for a while.
- Puzzles with pile of different lengths.
Has many developmental benefits
Individual elements can be easily folded in a playful way, when the baby collects soft elements in a certain sequence. Fixation is carried out by the “thorn-groove” system, where the protruding parts of the lock of one module enter the recesses of the adjacent part.
The assembled mat looks like a solid canvas, where there are no gaps and gaps between the models, which eliminates the ingress of dirt and simplifies cleaning the cover. The EVA tiles are connected with a dovetail hook. Such a connection is more reliable than that of PVC, provides a tenacious and strong connection of the modules..
Floor soft floor suitable for:
- children’s bedroom;
- game room;
- sports section (more dense coverage is applied).
Even for a bedroom and an adult room, there is a place for a soft carpet, since the top layer can be made under tiles, stone or wood. The result is a warm, soft, durable finish.
The size of each module can be 25-100 cm
Properties of rugs
The ancestor of soft flooring was simple jigsaw puzzles, according to the principle of which individual modules were released. They are then collected in a single piece.. An innovative analogue of EVA rubber becomes the main material for coatings..
EVA is ethylene vinyl acetate, it is a foamed polymer (porous and lightweight substance). As a result, soft rugs get the following properties:
- Tear strength, wear resistance, the material does not wear out, does not deform and does not fade under the influence of ultraviolet radiation, while maintaining its original appearance.
- Leveling the bases. Thick rugs can be laid on not very flat floors.
- Design possibilities. Dimensions (edit) tiles in one set are the same, but differ in color. This opens up great opportunities for combining different squares, creating an author’s ornament..
Individual elements can be easily folded in a playful way
- Elasticity, cushioning ability. Prevents injury as the mat is 5-18 mm thick to cushion any impacts on the floor.
- Environmental friendliness, absence of harmful, volatile substances in the composition. Allergic reactions, health problems in children are not manifested.
- Moisture resistance. The rugs are not afraid of spilled liquids, do not absorb moisture, even suitable for bathroom rooms. Paints, plasticine are easily removed from them.
- Hygiene. Bacteria, microorganisms do not multiply in the material, mammals, insects do not gnaw it.
- Lack of odors. There is no unpleasant smell in the plates, and when connecting individual parts, no glue or other chemicals are used.
- Soundproofing. During noisy games, neighbors will hear minimal sounds.
- Anti-slip effect is provided by special projections and notches.
EVA is ethylene vinyl acetate, it is a foamed polymer
- High thermal insulation (the coefficient is equal to the indicators of high-quality thermal insulation raw materials). The child will be warm at any time..
- Convenient installation. Even a child can assemble the structure. This does not require special tools or materials. If individual tiles break, they can be replaced with similar ones, without the use of complex work. If you get tired of the rug, you can fold it into a closet or closet..
Compared to standard carpeting, soft flooring is a fun puzzle game that can fold, unfold, and adjust in size..
The carpet can be cleaned with a simple vacuum cleaner, wet cleaning with detergents. From time to time, the puzzles can be thoroughly cleaned with a soft brush or washed in the dishwasher at 50 degrees. They can be easily cleaned of gouache, plasticine, watercolors, clay, glue, and other products of children’s creativity..
Has elasticity, cushioning ability
The material does not accumulate static electricity, therefore does not attract dirt, dust.
Tiles with volumetric shapes have a massage effect. They allow you to get rid of flat feet, improve blood supply to the legs and bring the baby comfort when moving..
EVA has many advantages. In order not to purchase a fake, you need to request a product quality certificate from the seller. It is a foamed vinyl acetate / ethylene copolymer that is highly elastic, insulating, protective and shock-absorbing. It is safe for the environment and humans.
These products have several functions.. The main one is the game. That is, the baby can play on the surface itself or collect plates in any sequence, add spatial figures from them..
They contribute to development. With the help of a variety of plots, the scope for studying certain topics is expanded, depending on the age of the child. Large blocks can promote motor skills, balance, coordination, imagination, dexterity, geometric association, sense of color.
Bright puzzles will be a great addition to the interior of a children’s room. And if you choose blocks with a massage effect, then the blood supply to the legs will improve, and flat feet will be prevented..
Joy for the child
In addition to decorating the room, the flooring becomes the subject of an educational, exciting game. After unpacking the product, we create a large carpet out of it. The child perceives such a game with enthusiasm, gets a new place for the games. But it is fashionable to use it for other purposes:
- For studying objects, shapes, numbers and letters. The product with the image of numbers, letters will serve as a comfortable insulating material, as well as an interesting visual material for acquainting a growing baby with numbers and geometric shapes. Learning will be fun and accessible. Models with insert frames are available for sale. Each square contains figures that can be pulled out and reinserted.
Bright puzzles will be a great addition to the interior of a children’s room
- Colorful path. To encourage your child to crawl, it’s an interesting idea to build a colorful walkway that runs from one room to another. You can put various toys on its surface, including balls, rattles.
- Collecting cubes. You can connect six or more parts to create a spacious box for storing soft toys. The structure will not be stable enough, but children will be able to destroy it to check the internal contents.
- Classics game“. Older children can play classic soft floor elements. For example, you can jump from a specific animal or puzzles of a selected color. Only the game needs to be installed on a non-slip base.
Soft puzzles can be used not only for assembling a large carpet. They open up many possibilities for children, providing a basis for play, stimulating their senses, helping them to play, crawl, recognize shapes, shades, alphabet, numbers. Product design has a variety of shapes and colors that can be created with your child..
Educational addicting game
Range of soft coatings
The variety of floor puzzles is amazing. Among the large assortment there are products for schoolchildren, babies and adolescents. Interesting textures, bright colors and small details attract the attention of children, contribute to the development of fine motor skills and the perception of shapes. Every kid will love to apply any images to the soft mat..
The following options are available for sale:
- Children’s room rugs. Their main goal is the safety of children, insulation of floors and a place to play. The coating should have a large thickness of 10-18 mm. This option is suitable for children of different ages as an alternative to standard carpets..
- The massage floor is represented by soft puzzles with different types of textures (notches, grooves, bumps of various shapes, a combination of soft and hard areas). The coating will help in the prevention of flat feet, the development of the musculo-ligamentous apparatus.
The variety of floor puzzles is amazing
- For children less than a year old, small rugs from several large puzzles are used. These are hypoallergenic dense products with a soft surface that protect babies from bruises and abrasions when crawling. Rugs should be brightly colored, equipped with additional details for the construction of sides. This will prevent children from crawling out of the play area..
- Options with numbers, letters of the English or Russian alphabet. The choice of a soft floor is made according to the age of the baby and the design of the room. This approach will allow dividing the base into separate fields, connecting sets of different series. You can choose floors that represent road signs, maps with countries and cities. Kids will easily remember images with letters, words and numbers. With the development and definition of speech skills in children, developed thinking is formed, which is achieved with a fun game.
- Educational and developmental soft EVA puzzles for children over the age of two. Elements can be geometric shapes, animal outlines, letters or numbers. The child should insert them into the corresponding holes, partially or completely collecting the carpet. This allows you to develop visual perception according to the principle of teaching with special cards and photographs. Children will be able to view drawings, feel three-dimensional figures.
- Rubber carpet made of large parts. Suitable for a gym. The main raw material is rubber crumb from recycled car tires, so the floors are not suitable for children’s bedrooms.
On sale may be products with voluminous details (flower stalks, table legs), options that fold into a rocking chair for riding.
You can play with soft puzzles in different ways:
- collect carpet;
- build cubes;
- at home.
Games are suitable for any child, will help in the development of associative skills, fine motor skills, perception of shape and color.
For older children, thermal insulation of the floor plays an important role. It can become a carpet replacement, protecting from low temperatures and not accumulating dust and dirt on the surface. There are models with a thickness of 0.5-1 cm.
Allows you to develop visual perception
It will be interesting for you:
Conditions for the selection of structures
When buying suitable, high-quality coatings, pay attention to the following parameters:
- Insulating properties. High insulation performance protects against cold floors.
- Mat thickness. The thicker the material, the more comfortable and softer it will be. For a child, it is better to select products with a thickness of at least 16 mm.
- The size. To make the mat last longer, it is better to buy larger sizes. This will allow the child to crawl and play on it. This coating can be used to decorate a room. You should first measure the area of its localization.
- Workmanship quality. Each element should fit well with the other so that the final coating turns out to be beautiful, even, soft. Purchased goods of well-known brands will last a long time, retain their original properties, functions, dimensions.
- Pattern. In addition to thermal insulation, the patterned mat will educate and engage children in an educational, entertaining role. The theme of the image is chosen in accordance with the interests, age of the children.
High insulation performance protects against cold floors
You need to be careful when purchasing cheap products, as they are often of poor quality, may consist of harmful substances that cause rashes, irritating the child’s skin, causing allergies.
It is known that children get to know the world through their own feelings, they strive to taste even the details of the puzzle. Therefore, you need to be careful, buy models without small particles that will be impossible to bite off..
Also, rugs with an annoying odor are not suitable. A safe option would be products with quality certificates..
Some materials may contain formamide, which makes them soft. But the substance is toxic, therefore it cannot be used in the production of children’s products. Formamide is classified as toxic, mutagenic and carcinogenic. Rugs made of it have an unpleasant, strong, toxic odor.
First, Belgium introduced a ban on the sale of formamide products, after which France joined it. Since 2014, a ban on the sale of products from this component should have been introduced by all countries, but the products can still be found on the market. Therefore, you need to carefully check what we are purchasing.
To make the mat last longer, it is better to buy larger sizes.
Some manufacturers of soft puzzles in the attached instructions provide information about a safe composition. Not all products are dangerous. There are carpets on the market made of EVA, which is odorless and non-toxic. It looks like a cheaper counterpart, so you need to check the labeling.
There is a large selection of models from foreign and Russian manufacturers on sale. You need to be careful about Chinese-made products without quality certificates, the safety of which has not been proven..
Now let’s look at several models of popular brands. In many products, the side length of each element is 30 cm. The most popular are sets of numbers, letters, used as a teaching aid to get acquainted with the account, the alphabet.
Each element should fit well with the other.
- Fisher price. The product of this brand is very popular. The set includes 6 elements, the dimensions are 150 * 115 cm, but the elements can be combined with another set of the same brand. They are durable, dense and pleasant to the touch surfaces, colorful and beautiful. They can be used at home, on a picnic, in the garden. The thickness of each part is 1.5 cm.The average cost of Fisher Price products measuring 20 * 90 cm is 1100 rubles.
- Baby ono. Like other reliable manufacturers, the products of this brand are made of EVA, do not contain harmful compounds (formamide, 2-phenyl-2-propanol, acetophenone, etc.).
- Skip hop. This is a comfortable and large rug suitable for play, baby’s first steps or crawling. It is made of EVA, absorbs shocks well if the baby falls. The innovative material does not emit unpleasant and pungent odors, does not contain biphenol A, formamide and phthalates. Individual parts can be freely assembled, selected according to shades, connecting imagination and exploring the properties of figures. From different elements, you can create original geometric ornaments (rhombuses, squares and circles). If necessary, collect some parts, reducing the size of the surface or making up several litters.
A safe option would be products with quality certificates.
The model is an interior decoration in a children’s room, suitable for babies over 10 months old. The cost of elements with a size of 1.4 * 1.0 m starts from 5 thousand rubles.
- The products of this brand are safe and convenient for children’s entertainment, made of EVA. When assembled, it forms a circle and includes 23 parts. An older child can solve the puzzle on their own. The product has an interesting shape, strikes with unique colors and is easy to keep clean.
- The products develop the psychomotor skills of children, stimulate the sense of touch, imagination, and activate the sensory receptors of the sole of the foot. This is an unusual puzzle, from the elements you can make a variety of figures (motorcycle, horse, car, meadow with all kinds of flowers). The design is lightweight and stable, but the cost will not be cheap. The main raw material is super lightweight EVA that does not emit harmful substances. All Tessel products undergo stringent safety and quality controls for America (CPSC, ASTM-F963) and the European market (EN-71). The products are awarded the “Kind + Jugend Innovation Award 2008” at the world’s largest trade fair for toy manufacturers in the German city of Cologne.
- Mały Genius. The goods “Little Genius” are produced in the Czech Republic. They have all the necessary certificates, especially for allergy sufferers. These are excellent European products with a high level of safety, tested in accordance with the current safety standards EN-71. The assembled mat is easy to clean, rinsed with water. The package includes detailed instructions that reveal all the possibilities of using a soft floor.
Soft option from pillows
Also famous models are the brands Flexica, Rosman, Jeanette and others. They differ in image options (road signs, cars, underwater or animal world, berries with fruits, fairy-tale or cartoon characters, world atlas).
Crawling covers may be offered separately for girls and boys. But there are unisex rugs. For the kid to learn the alphabet on his own, there are many options for this alphabet. Gradually, he will begin to collect letters in the correct sequence..
If you need orthopedic models, then you should choose Orthopazl. The kit includes various parts (pebbles, hard grass, cones) made from natural raw materials.
Children will be able to perceive colors better
Choosing a soft floor for a children’s room
Parents who bought soft puzzles for their children long ago noted many advantages of such coatings.. And for those who are just planning to purchase a modular floor, you need to know the following:
- With careful and careful use, the service life of the floor will be 8-10 years.
- In order not to disturb the decorative layer, abrasive products must not be used for cleaning..
- The modules can be taken outdoors or taken outdoors, as they are assembled on any leveled surfaces.
- Indoors, it is advisable to assemble modules on plywood or MDF.
- If possible, it is better to secure the assembled carpet with glue for fixing linoleum or double-sided tape. But the coating almost does not slip on the floor and holds well.
- If necessary, the size of the carpet can be increased by selecting elements with appropriate locks..
- Stores sell tiles of different parameters (from 25 * 25 to 100 * 100 cm) with any number of modules in a set (from 4 pieces and above).
- Thin rugs should not be used for vigorous exercise or heavy objects..
The service life of the floor will be 8-10 years
AdviceBright jigsaw puzzles are well cleaned and washed, but there is no need to do frequent cleaning. This can damage the outer layer..
Depending on the selected density, the basic options of the soft carpet will depend.
The optimal indicator will be 40-50 SHOR, which will ensure high softness and durability of the floor. At a density of less than 40 SHOR, the coating will turn out to be “liquid”, indicating the manufacturer’s savings on raw materials. The result is a soft and thin base that will not protect the child from injuries, bruises and will quickly wear off.
With a density of more than 50 SHOR, very hard tiles with high wear resistance are obtained. But due to its rigidity, the material does not cushion impacts when dropped..
Do not use abrasive products for cleaning.
Rules for buying suitable slabs
There are certain criteria for purchasing a soft floor:
- When choosing products with a specific image, you should take sealed packs from the same batch of issue. This will avoid inconsistencies in the shades of individual parts..
- Determine a suitable topic, taking into account the interests of the child (favorite animated series, heroes).
- Durability, high strength and wear resistance. To determine these indicators, you must first familiarize yourself with the parameters of the products and manufacturers. The optimal choice would be tiles with additional moisture resistance and UV resistance. They will not fade for a long time, will not deteriorate from spilled liquid.
Modules can be taken outdoors or taken outdoors
You should carefully consider the type of material from which the rug is made. The packaging should contain information that the products are non-toxic, safe and hypoallergenic. This will eliminate the appearance of an unpleasant odor, staining of the skin due to low-quality paints.
You can also determine the presence of an additional layer, which will serve as good sound insulation. If possible, it is better to purchase double-sided products so that the baby does not get tired of the monotonous topic.
You need to show imagination that the child will definitely appreciate. The rug will turn into an additional game, it will be able to help the baby in development and quick learning.
For standard puzzles, the dimensions are 30 * 30 cm, and the height is 10-13 mm. They are not difficult to install, no special prepared base is required. Elements can be laid on a plain floor. To get a safe and warm playground, you need to follow these steps:
- Learn how to assemble modules. Each of them has an arrow-shaped corner. Each part must be folded in such a way that all arrows point in the same direction..
- Stretch the modules a little and connect.
- It is necessary to leave at least 2 cm to the walls, to lay border strips to protect the fasteners.
Can be assembled on any leveled surfaces
How to care for soft floors?
The chosen soft coating will simplify maintenance, because it is resistant to chemicals and can be cleaned in different ways. HIn order to extend the life of the floor, you should adhere to the basic rules:
- Do not move on the surface in heels, as sharp objects damage the integrity of the protective film.
- For wet cleaning, use a sponge with soapy water, clean at least twice a week.
- Don’t use strong chemicals.
- If any element is damaged, then only it can be replaced.
If possible, it is better to secure the assembled carpet with glue.
VIDEO: Options for a soft floor in a children’s room
You need to choose a rug taking into account the interests of the child. You also need to purchase closed packs belonging to the same batch.. To make the floor mobile, to collect it after each game, it is better to choose small options with 4-8 modules, which will be enough.
When reading consumer reviews of people who have installed such coverage, you can only get a positive opinion. After all, rugs are fun for children to play, reduce the risk of abrasions and damage..