Mirror in the kitchen – Increase the space. Where to place? How to choose? How to register? We choose the best options (on the wall, above the shelf, above the table, on the apron)
Mirror in the kitchen
Mirror to the kitchen – a useful and necessary thing, but not always. The main purpose of the mirror surface is to expand the room visually, to make it light and at least a little spacious. In the kitchen, which is already large, it is needed only as an accent, and then if the designer has a desire to use it. What material is better to choose from? What is the most suitable location? Everything is detailed further in the article..
What should be a mirror?
Mirrors are very different, and it depends on their size, material and appearance, where they will look best and what style they will best fit into..
Be sure to choose mirrors for the chosen style.
With size, everything is simple – the smaller the kitchen, the larger the mirror. On a tiny square in Khrushchev, a real mirror wall will look good, and in the large kitchen of a country house, a small table mirror will be enough. There are:
- Wall mirrors. A mirrored wall is a beautiful accent, but not everyone is comfortable seeing the movement of the reflection all the time. In addition, it will be expensive. Large, fully reflecting the person, but narrow. It looks beautiful, reflections are not so visible, plus it is cheaper. Minus – it is not clear how to place it so that it is appropriate.
- Half human height and less. Small ones, often fit together to cover a backsplash or space above a stove. Reflections are not always visible, but there is still more light than without a mirror..
- Very small. They can act as an accent – for example, a mirror placed on a shelf will attract attention to it, and a mirror insert next to the lamp will emphasize its originality and multiply the light.
If your dining room is very small, place a mirror on the wall and place the table next to
The size should be chosen according to your needs and means.
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: Dressing table with mirror and lighting: 140+ (Photo) Options for your bedroom
A mirror surface can be obtained in different ways.. Are used:
- Glass. Glass mirrors are traditional but expensive and heavy. They are also fragile from simple glass, therefore it is usually recommended to buy tempered or triplex.
- Plastic film. If carefully glued, it gives a completely reliable effect. The main thing is to smooth out all wrinkles and bubbles. Sensitive to aggressive chemicals, it serves much less than glass, but it is cheaper and does not break.
- Acrylic. Slim plastic glass replacement. You don’t need to glue anywhere, you can put or hang. Acrylic is light, does not break, is cheap, but over time we have the property of becoming cloudy and afraid of mechanical damage – it will crack from impact.
The mirrored surface can be beaten in different ways
AdviceIt is better to hang an acrylic substitute on the wall so that it does not crash and injure anyone when it falls. It is better to make a mirrored wall from plastic film – it is easy to replace and it is cheaper. But, of course, everyone decides for himself.
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: Design from behind the looking glass – Small and large Mirrors in the interior of the apartment (290+ Photos)
Differently finished mirrors look differently and different notes bring to the interior.
The mirror finish can also be different.
- Colored glass. It can be of any color, depending on which it has a different impression. So, in mirrors of warm shades, the whole world looks cozy and kind. But in cold shades, on the contrary, strict. In this case, it is better not to hang large colored glass in the kitchen. Better – a small tile of different colors. It looks unusual, original, plus the inhabitants of the apartment will not have to look at their own reflections of an unusual color.
- Frosted glass without pattern. The frosted mirror looks somewhat unusual: it seems to be covered with small depressions, because of which it is impossible to see the reflection. It looks interesting, but, again, it is better not to hang large glass with such a finish – it is devoid of the advantages of an ordinary mirror. It is better to use tiles, alternating reflective and matte elements in the pattern.
Interesting use of mirrored surfaces on cabinets
- Patterned frosted glass. It looks more interesting than without a picture. Also the result of sandblasting and the drawing can be absolutely any. Flowers and patterns are especially popular, but you can choose birds, or a human face, or something even more unusual. Such glass can be used instead of a picture, but it also lacks the advantages of an ordinary mirror..
- Aged glass. In places blackened, in places cloudy, in places even with cracks. Fits perfectly with vintage and similar styles, where aged things play the role of accessories. But in modern and ordinary classical styles it will not take root and will look foreign.
- Faceted glass. It differs from the rest in that it has a texture. It can be a simple geometric pattern (rhombuses are especially common), it can be complex. These mirrors look great in classic styles. Often they can be made to order, according to the client’s sketch.
- Mirrored tile. Small mirrors joined together in a pattern. The effect is a bit similar to the beveled glass effect, but different. Matte or colored elements can be included in the tile pattern.
Mirror-sun – beautiful and at ease
An additional step in the design – backlight. It makes the mirror stand out even more from the surrounding interior. It can be downward-directed spots, it can be small LED lamps, or it can be an LED strip of any color. It’s nice to look in such a mirror.
AdviceWhen choosing a design, you should not be too zealous and combine too many elements. A mirror overloaded with details looks more depressing than beautiful.
Do not combine many details and do not overload the interior
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: How to Choose a Hallway Mirror? 235+ (Photo) Design Ideas for decoration (wardrobe, dressing table, curbstone)
Where to place in the kitchen?
Even in the smallest kitchen, there are at least a few places for a mirror..
Over the stove
A mirror hung over the stove is not very suitable for expanding and enlarging the space, but it makes an excellent accent that emphasizes the stove and the hood. If they are beautiful, modern and really worth seeing, this is a good place.
Above the stove is not the best option to use.
However, before hanging glass here, it is worth considering that it will inevitably get dirty and will have to be washed frequently from splashes of broth, fat, juice and traces of steam..
Acrylic mirrors are not hung here or plastic wrap is attached – they are too sensitive to high temperatures.
Think carefully about the moment of mirror design
Decorating a kitchen apron with mirrors means focusing on the kitchen set. If it’s beautiful, modern, stylish, that’s a good idea..
A mirrored apron will primarily suffer from grease and grime
But the minus is the same as with the stove: splashes of fat, juice, pieces of food will fall on the mirrors. Once a week, all this will have to be washed off with aggressive chemistry.. Therefore, neither acrylic nor plastic film is attached here either – they will quickly become unusable from such conditions.
Above the shelf
If the interior contains open shelves under dishes, knick-knacks or tools, mirrors can be hung over them – or even the shelves themselves can be made mirrored.
This will give the interior airiness and lightness, the shelves in it will begin to look like small niches.. It is important, however, that the structures are made of acrylic, because if the glass shelf falls, it can injure someone. Plus, real glass is slippery. Objects can fall from it.
There are never too many mirrors even here
It’s easier to choose a plastic with which there are no such problems.
Over the sink
The mirror over the sink is not only a decoration, but also an opportunity to tidy up if the bath is busy. However, you need to hang it carefully: not too low so that splashes do not fall on it, not too high so that all family members can easily reach it..
The main thing is to place it at a height that will be accessible to all family members.
It should be wide about the width of the shell, should not be too small by itself.
It will have to be washed every week, because water will inevitably get on it. Therefore, it is better to choose glass – acrylic and plastic film become cloudy from water.
In the headset
There are many places in the kitchen unit where small mirrors can be placed. Above shelves in cabinets, make mirrored doors, make small mirror inserts.
There are many places in the kitchen where you can fit a mirror in an original way.
- It makes sense to insert mirrors above the shelves only if the cabinets in the headset are open and anyone can look inside. Otherwise, the beauty of such a decision will simply be lost..
- Mirrored doors must be made of acrylic, otherwise they will be too heavy and too unstable to mechanical damage.
- Small mirror inserts are a great idea. They can be made of real glass, they can be colored or matte, they can be of any, most intricate, shape. Visually, they will not expand anything, but they will attract attention and look beautiful..
Make eye-catching finishes and your decor will sparkle with new colors
Often mirrors are included in the headset immediately. But sometimes it’s easier to insert them yourself than buying new furniture..
On the wall
On the wall, the mirror opens up best: reflects light, enlarges the kitchen, looks beautiful.
Here it can be absolutely anything. Small and rounded, large and square, mirror tiles, with matte or colored inserts, with or without lighting.
The choice is limited solely by the designer’s imagination.
AdviceFunctional mirrors are best placed at human height. But exclusively decorative ones can be placed at any height..
The mirror may not even be one – it may be a whole mirrored wall..
A mirror panel on the entire wall will look gorgeous
Paintings, vases and photo frames decorated with mirror pieces look interesting.
Ceiling with mirror
With the help of a mirrored ceiling, you can add a touch of sophistication and exoticism to a boring interior.
Over the table
The dining area can also be decorated with mirrors..
VIDEO: The best options for placing a mirror in the kitchen
The main thing is to choose a mirror that suits a particular kitchen and the tastes of a particular family. To do this, you can not only think, but also draw sketches, and even use a computer, trying on which option will be ideal..