Curtains for the bedroom: (280 + Photos): Bright accessory for your interior in 2018
Bedroom curtains play a decorative role. They create coziness, tranquility and an atmosphere for relaxation. The overall design in the room depends on them. The main thing is to correctly select and emphasize this or that interior. More about everything further in the article..
What is the purpose of curtains?
Since the dormitory is my personal space, I would like to achieve the following goals:
- Darken the room. To solve this problem, I understand that you cannot do without dense material. The density of the material can be checked. It is enough to look through it at sunlight or bright light.
But constantly being in a darkened room will feel discomfort, this will affect my health and emotional state. Therefore, I decided to focus on a double version ─ curtains and tulle. What types of kits are there? It is desirable to understand.
Bedroom curtains play a decorative role
- Choose a curtain design. Today, a variety of curtains amaze the human imagination. I wanted to see the dormitory as dynamic, free, so that the color and shape are combined with each other, so you can stop at companion fabrics. The classic version of the window design already existed – it was a wooden cornice, on which thick curtains with light curtains hung. And for my style I need other options for fastening..
- Choose the color of the curtain. The color of the curtains affects the atmosphere of coziness, comfort and a sense of complete rest. The trend is pastel, natural (young green, beige tone), muted tones (burgundy, purple). These shades of curtains can calm, relax me after a busy day..
Window curtains are a design element of a room. They have a double duty: decorative and functional. Firstly, they create the final stage of the room design, create a cozy room. Secondly, window textiles protect the room from a large amount of daylight, prying eyes or dust..
Create coziness, tranquility and an atmosphere for relaxation
Sleeping curtains, compared to kitchen curtains, can be used in a variety of materials. Sleeping curtains unaffected by harmful factors such as steam and fat. Therefore, it is advisable to decorate the bedroom with natural or mixed materials..
Synthetic fibers are added to the material, which make them easy to care for. These features should be taken into account by me when choosing curtains. If I choose romantic curtains, then the fabric should drape well..
Popular types of materials:
- Linen. Curtains made of unbleached linen are rough to the touch and look like a homespun cloth in beige or gray-beige. And if the room is present Scandinavian, ecological, safari styles, such curtains will be a great addition to the entire design of the room. Bleached or bleached linen fabric, without beige or grayish shades, will accentuate Provencal, country, Mediterranean, Egyptian style.
Curtains can be used from various types of materials
Linen material has a high decorative effect, does not have static electricity, and has a different weave density. This affects the light transmission of the curtains. For mine bedrooms, which is located on the north side, you can use a fabric with a density of medium weave of fibers.
- Organza, crepe, taffeta. Today, curtains made of viscose or silk crepe are at the peak of popularity. This chic kind of canvas has a rough, matte finish to the touch. The product drapes beautifully, but does not wrinkle.
The material is used to make curtains of any style..
Taffeta can be confused in appearance with crepe, as it contains silk as well as synthetic fibers. This material is poorly draped, as it has a rigid structure with a semi-matte surface, but some types of canvas tend to shimmer, therefore they are called ─ “peach skin effect”.
Decorate your bedroom with natural or mixed materials
And transparent, light, airy fabrics include organza, gas and veil, which are made from silk and synthetic fibers. Only a veil can drape beautifully. These are purely decorative fabrics that are used both as an independent element and in combination with curtains..
- Atlas, velvet. The satin material is dense and soft. It drapes well, forms beautiful folds. The fabric contains silk, cotton, rayon or acetate. The decorativeness of the canvas depends on the composition of the raw material.
Velvet, like satin fabric, contains silk, cotton and some types of viscose. It has a dense base and a short thick pile.
Varieties of velvet:
Tight sun protection
Advantages and disadvantages of curtain materials:
|Eco-friendly material||A small selection of style directions|
|Able to “breathe”|
|Compliant in design|
|Silk||Natural shine||Burns out in the sun|
|Luxurious view||High price|
|Does not attract dust||Delicate wash required|
|Velvet||Luxurious view||Accumulates dust|
|Absorbs light||Winter version of the product|
|Good sound insulation||Suitable for large areas|
|Synthetics||Low cost||Does not allow air to pass through|
|A variety of beautiful colors||Electrifies|
|May cause allergies|
The color of the curtains should be consistent with the environment. For example, be a complement to blanket on the bed, cape on the armchair, pillows, puff and other elements of the bedroom interior.
The color of the curtains is an important decision. They are purchased for more than one year, so they should suit me in all respects..
The color of the curtains should be combined with the environment.
Basic color scheme in modern textiles
In order not to make a mistake, it is better to get acquainted with the colors, their shades in more detail:
- White. Able to visually expand a small room, and in combination with warm shades such as pale pink, coffee or beige, it will make the bedroom airy. It is undesirable to use white alone, as it will create a hospital impression.
- Yellow. The most positive, optimistic tone. It can be combined with green or blue shades. My bedroom is on the north side, so yellow will be appropriate, it will make the room warm and bright..
- Green. This is a classic, peaceful version of the bedroom. I give it up right away. I don’t like repetitions!
Positive, optimistic connotation
- Blue. Creates a pleasant, calm atmosphere. If curtains are combined with warm shades of pillows, paintings, then the bedroom will take on an individual style. You can think of such a composition.
- Blue. Today it is one of the most popular shades. It has a calming and cooling effect. One blue color makes the bedroom gloomy, so it should be diluted with white..
- Red. I completely exclude this color from my design project and have a negative attitude towards it..
The color of the curtains should be slightly darker / lighter than the wallpaper. Since the curtains can merge with the walls. Therefore, I will not get the desired result..
Types of curtains for the bedroom
Design solutions have no boundaries for the production of curtain curtains for the bedroom. My curtains should harmoniously fit not only into the design of the bedroom, but also into the overall interior of the house. Consider their main designs.
Classic style bedroom
- Sliding. This is a common type of curtain. Curtain design, maybe straight, with lambrequins, Japanese, thread, etc. But I will immediately discard this option. I would like to see the product in my bedroom more practical.
- Lifting. This option requires special devices that are able to lift curvy or wrinkled products..
- Stationary. This view cannot be moved along the cornice, have a certain shape, do not move apart, do not move. They have a luxurious design ─ these are imperial, “bishop’s sleeve” curtains, and the usual name for such curtains is vintage.
The main types of curtains:
- Curtains. It is customary to make them from a translucent rectangular fabric. My bedroom is located on the north side of the house, so this type of curtain might work. But I would also use a backing made of dense fabric for them, which will give the room an intimate atmosphere..
- Thread, rope. This model of curtains can be used in a room with an oriental style. They are decorated with bugles, beads or beads. They can be of different lengths.
- Curtains. For their manufacture, a dense fabric is used. They protect the wallpaper from solar burnout. To add romance to the product, I used all kinds of decorative elements ─ flounces, hooks, holders, garters.
- Classic. This model combines tulle with curtains, which are often used for decorative purposes, and not for darkening. For this purpose, a different material is provided. The length of the curtains should not reach the floor by 2-5 cm.
The complex design of the curtain can be greater than the height of the room.
Curtains are hung on the sides of the window opening, and the middle is filled with transparent curtains up to the middle of the window. The design is complemented by decorative lambrequins that emphasize all the luxury of the product.
- Italian. The model looks gorgeous in a spacious bedroom, with a classic or Provencal style. They are permanently fixed to the eaves. For sewing them, it is better to use a fabric made from natural fibers..
In gentle pastel colors
- French. The model will emphasize all the luxury of furniture designs. For its manufacture, you can use both dense fabric and light airy tulle. Here, on a flat panel, the scallops are collected in the horizontal direction..
French, Austrian curtains can only be lifted with a special device. The only condition: the material must be well draped.. They will suit such styles as Empire, Baroque or Rococo.
Such models are always bright and rich. The material is dominated by the colors of gold, silver, azure and other shades. They are lush, multi-row, decorated with intricate lambrequins. These are overloaded styles.
For curtains, use velvet, satin or jacquard material..
It can contain vertical stripes, prints with plant motifs. They are attached to multi-row fasteners, which are decorated with twisted clamps at the ends of the cornice..
Curtain in purple
- Roman. They are used in modern bedrooms. The curtain covers the window opening, looks great in small rooms. They can be combined with tulle, used in a shortened version.
- Roll. This model of curtains is made from natural, synthetic or combined materials. The lower part of the curtain is weighted. They can be transparent, translucent, darkening, opaque..
- Lifting. Lifting curtains include blinds, as well as roll curtains. Today, the Japanese theme of bamboo material is very popular. But with such a style, you need to be careful so that the bedroom does not stand out from the overall interior of the whole house. They are not adjustable to the width of the window.
For a bedroom with balcony by the door, curtains are selected not only with an aesthetic beautiful appearance, but they must fulfill a specific function ─ not obstruct the passage to the balcony. A window with a balcony door can be closed with roller or thread curtains. If you want to hang fabric curtains, then it is advisable to use two canvases on the window..
This will facilitate the passage to the balcony. Each panel can be decorated with decorative elements ─ clamps or clamps. The design of the structure is selected individually.
Bedroom curtains with balcony
- No need to use triangular prints.
- Use a soft canvas with a solid color that would match the shades of wallpaper or furniture designs.
- You should not use folk color – this is not a sleeping option, but a kitchen.
- On the information field there are a large number of options for curtains with a balcony door, photos of which can be viewed here and choose “your” model.
Which option should I stop? I am interested in the design of the product 0.2 m below the windowsill. I hope that the advice of professionals will help me.
The bedroom is not only a room for comfortable, night dreams, but also a place for a secluded daytime rest. It should be conducive to relaxation or meditation, and in solving this desire, correctly selected curtains will become a wonderful helper..
Patterns and decorations
In order for all decorative elements to be in harmony with each other, with other rooms of the house, you need to adhere to the following requirements:
- In a small room, you should not use large prints on the material, and it is better to use fabric in light colors. In a room with a large free area, products with patterns of different sizes and colors are suitable. For a room with a low ceiling, it is best to use only vertical strip in curtains and wall covering.
Relaxing, cozy atmosphere
- Do not overdo it in choosing a pattern for wallpaper and curtains. If wallpaper with a bright pattern is selected, then the curtains should be without a print. If the tulle material is bright with a large print, then the curtains should be monochromatic.
- Curtains look harmoniously with paintings or artificial lighting devices.
- The most popular decoration is lambrequins ─ swagas, ties, pendants and other decorative elements.
- The curtains are decorated with decorative cords, butterflies, flower bouquets, tassels, beads and ribbons..
How to measure curtains?
Correctly selected curtains will accentuate the style in the room. How to measure a product? Usually, the curtain can extend to the floor, windowsill, go down to the floor or be below the windowsill. But I shouldn’t hang long curtains, as there is a small dog in the house..
Before making a calculation, you need to know: how will the curtains hang? The cornice can have a mechanism for lifting, lowering, in the form of a rod or string.
The main type of attachment of curtains to the cornice:
- Hook. The hook version is suitable for loose, lightweight fabrics. On a special cornice, manufacturers have provided clamps for the product. For every 0.1 m, there is one hook.
- Grommet (metal ring in the product). This is a modern, stylish type of mount. It enhances the texture of the fabric. The cornice passes through the rings in the fabric, evenly distributes it over the entire width of the window.
- Wide loop. The accessory is made of curtain material. It looks like bows, knots, fastened with Velcro, with the help of buttons or rings. They are attached to the cornice of any configuration.
- Curtain tape. Attaching to the curtain is one of the light and beautiful options. It is enough to buy a transparent or thick tape along the width of the curtain, sew it on and hang it on the cornice. The drapery is lush, even thanks to the cord.
Using curtains for zoning
The curtain was measured with a metal tape measure from the bottom of the hook on the cornice to the point that is 0.2 m below the windowsill. This is due to the fact that the windowsill serves as my dressing table. And also “protect” the product from your favorite small animal.
In beige tones
The width of the curtain depends on the length of the curtain rod.
- If the length of the cornice is less than 1.4 m, then one piece of fabric will be enough.
- With the length of the cornice 2.0 m, the width of the material is 1.5 times the length of the cornice.
- And with a curtain rod length of less than 2, 8 m, curtain fabric needs to be bought twice its length.
- If the length of the cornice is 4 m, then the width of the fabric is 3 times its length.
These are the correct calculations that I used when decorating windows in the living room and in the kitchen..
Wall and ceiling mounting
The curtains are attached to the eaves, depending on the design of the entire room at home. There are ceiling and wall cornices. The purchase of fastening accessories depends on the type of cornice.
The minimum amount of furniture in the bedroom
For wall cornices, products with ties, loops and eyelets. On the ceiling cornice, the curtain is attached using curtain tape or hooks. Desirably the design of the mounts should be followed throughout the home..
It will be interesting for you:
How to hang curtains correctly and beautifully?
Having studied a large amount of information on curtains, on material, colors, it remains for me to think: how to hang them beautifully? The design of the bedroom depends on it.. My curtain will not be long, and 0.2 m below the window sill, it will move to one side every day, since the window sill “acts” as a dressing table.
- Do not hang elaborate, complex products, as they will have to be moved every day..
- In my case, beauty and airiness will be created by an ordinary tulle material, linen curtains, which will simply hang on a cornice with a length of 1. 4 m with hooks. I will refuse lambrequins, as they will interfere with opening my window.
Bedroom interior design in classic style
Curtains for plastic windows
Looking through glossy magazines, online publications, I see that plastic windows are in trend today. They differ from their old counterparts. Therefore, curtains should also look modern..
They can operate on remote semi-automatic, automatic opening / closing. To do this, it is enough to use a string that you can pull on, and the curtain will change its position. By pressing the button on the remote control, you can also get the position of the curtain that is convenient for me: it will not allow the penetration of excess morning light, will allow you to extend the morning sleep.
Sliding curtain option
Types of curtains for plastic windows:
- Roll. This type was very popular in the 70-80s of the last century, then they forgot for it. But in modern projects, I observe that designers turn to the experience of past years in their works, improve it with the help of nanotechnology. Changes affected roller curtains.
- Roman. The modern model consists of an even canvas, when the mechanism rolls it up, it turns the curtain into even and beautiful folds. The model can be mounted on and above the window. The curtains are available in a wide range of colors..
Many models are easy to do with your own hands.
A simple model of curtains can be made by hand.
Required tools and materials:
- weighting rail;
- plastic skewers;
- Cassette. This look resembles rolled products. A distinctive feature is the presence of a protective cap ─ cassette. When the window is opened, the curtain and the sash move back at the same time, since the fastening is made directly on the window.
- Pleated. The model resembles a blind. A distinctive feature is the textile material from which they are made. Two-color curtains have a beautiful and unusual appearance, which easily change the design of the window opening.
Roman version of curtains
I made such curtains myself in 30 minutes in the children’s room.
For this I needed:
- roll paper;
- sewing thread No. 10;
- 2 rulers for the width of the window;
- adhesive hooks;
- PVA glue;
- Roller. The product model is compact and convenient. They can be hung on window sashes. If I choose such a model, then it will not interfere with flowers, cosmetic items on my windowsill.
Curtains on modern plastic openings
I got acquainted with the options for curtains, photos on standard plastic windows. And I’m interested in learning about modern design options for window openings. Consider interesting types of curtains for plastic windows.
Panoramic. The ideal place for this type of windows is a bedroom in a private house. It is better not to close such structures with curtains, so that when you wake up you can see the whole beautiful panorama. But if you can’t do without them, let’s heed the advice of designers..
- For such a window model, Japanese or Roman products are suitable..
- Curtains should be installed in soothing colors..
- To avoid the maximum amount of light, it is better to use semi-transparent fabrics in light colors..
Sheer gray tulle
Three-window construction. Such a design of windows will beautifully decorate an unusual private house with a view of the sea or mountains..
- Their length is influenced by the design of the room. They can be long or not very long..
- With low ceilings the color of the walls, preferably, should match the color of the curtains.
- A room with a large free space, then the product can be of different configurations and colors.
- To visually increase the area of the room, it is better to arrange the windows in light colors..
- A small room with a window is decorated in light colors, windows with dark, heavy curtains are decorated in a large room.
Roman sheer curtain
Windows from the floor. Such window designs are arranged with a view of the mountains, sea, forest. In order to preserve the beauty and saturation of light in the room, it is better not to use curtains. But I can’t imagine a dormitory without them, so I would have them.
- For such a design, it is better to use light-colored windows with not very dense fabrics..
- For a large window, it is better to use sliding structures..
- Blinds in soothing colors without a print accentuate the design of the bedroom.
- If the bedroom is decorated in a classic style, then heavy Austrian multilayer structures can emphasize it..
Not all types of curtains are described here. You need to understand that there is no perfect view. Each model is popular in its own way and is selected individually.
For the owners of such large “estates” with plastic windows, I would recommend heavy fabrics and dark wallpaper. This combination will provide intimacy, security, and comfort in the room. However, it all depends on design ability and money..
How to remove roller blinds from the mounts?
All types of curtains must be removed before washing. How to do it? I have roller blinds and before removing them I need to do the following:
- Curtain material is rolled up.
- The guide line is removed with weighting plugs that slide along it.
- Remove the weighting from the bottom.
- Removable protective capsule.
- The web is removed with an axis on which the web is wound with a screwdriver.
- The screwdriver pushes the plug and frees the axle from the bracket.
Gray color will suit any interior
The main mistakes when choosing
Modern salons are filled with design solutions for products, but this does not mean that any kind will suit my window opening. Therefore, you need to take into account the architectural features of the bedroom: how the curtains will close the pipes, columns, my wide window sill, which serves as a dressing table. What curtains to hang on plastic windows?
Some of my friends, thoughtlessly, and guided by the beauty of the product, make mistakes when decorating the room.
- Do not take into account the size of the room. Small rooms should not be cluttered with voluminous curtains with a large print. If you choose the right design and color scheme, the product will visually increase the free space and “raise” the ceiling.
- They do not withstand the stylistic direction with other objects of the room. If the classic style prevails, then you should not install plastic blinds on the windows. If minimalism or hi-tech is present, then luxurious French curtains should be abandoned..
Video: How to decorate the windows in the bedroom?
To determine the size of the future curtain, you need to stock up on tools, paper, as this is a very important process that requires precision.