Cork flooring in the interior – What is it? 100+ (Photo) of a successful decision. Why should you choose it?
Unlike laminate, linoleum, cork flooring has a number of advantages due to its naturalness. Find out about all the features of the material, color combinations and options with photo printing. About all types of coatings with all their advantages and disadvantages further in the article.
The tree has such an interesting ability as “shedding” the bark. This happens when the tree reaches 30 years old. This phenomenon occurs once every 9-12 years. Then, the bark can be safely removed, without harm to the tree..
We are guided by the principles of practicality
The exfoliated bark is collected, made small, given to specific processing and heated in a red-hot oven. Next, they are sent under a press, which has high pressure. The resulting crushed mixture becomes suberin (this is a mass that consists of oxygen bubbles and the cork itself). This is the foundation of a cork floor.
On top of the suberin layer, a layer consisting of resins, wood dust is applied and fixed again with suberin. The front layer is made of cork, vinyl, a thin sheet of wood.
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: Kitchen Floor Tiles: 150+ Photos of Beautiful Design Secrets
Making a cork floor in the interior
Cork is used in the interior because it has good sound and noise insulation, and can absorb various odors. Also, this material is resistant to the effects of various household chemicals..
Has good sound insulation
The decorative use of such a coating is quite varied, thanks to a large selection of colors. The floor covering of warm natural shades will look original. These include Brown Colour, yellow, ocher. The shade is selected taking into account furniture, located in the room, kitchen, living room the rest of the room decoration. The shade is selected very different from dark to lightest.
Another plus is that depending on the installation method, the size of the panels themselves, and the lighting in the room, the cork will look different.
The shade is selected taking into account the furniture
There are both the traditional texture of the cork floor, and unusual, original colors with bright splashes, interesting design.
In addition to the usual cork, there is also a photo market, a photo floor made of cork. Such innovations have made the flooring not dull and dull as before..
Technologies allow imitating cork under various rare and expensive types of wood, for example, pine or oak. For those who want exotic, an unusual option is offered – this cork is imitated for walnut, Karelian birch, zebrano, rosewood. This effect is achieved by applying a thin sheet of wood from 0.1 to 10 mm to the cork texture..
Resistant to various chemicals
To get the effect of solid wood covering, the cork must be laid with a deck.. Also, with its help you can simulate:
- sand and stone;
Fits perfectly into the interior of a bright living room
It will look like an interesting move in the interior of not only the room, but also the kitchen, hallway, living room.
Cork will serve as a reliable coating, provided that it was made according to all the rules and there were no errors during installation.
Laminate gives off cold. The cork, on the contrary, gives off heat, it will be comfortable to walk on it with bare feet.
It is easier to clean up after this, because puddles and various traces do not remain on it, dust does not accumulate. And to not see the dents from the furniture, you need to buy felt nozzles.
This floor gives off warmth
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: Laminate in the interior on the floor, wall, ceiling – 100+ Photos, useful tips and mandatory recommendations
The primary color of cork looks very interesting. Such a covering can be laid in any part of the house, even bathroom. It is soft and cozy, great for any room and will be appropriate in a classic interior, and in styles such as modern, high tech, avant-garde, minimalism.
The classic style of housing will be perfectly complemented by such coverage. In such an apartment, everything will look clear, concise, with a minimum amount of decorative elements, without anything superfluous..
Leaves no residue or accumulates dust
With a combination of cork and laminate, you can solve the problem of zoning. For example, divide the same area of the living room and the corridor. So you can make a cork floor near an arch or doorway in the living room with a smooth wave.. If you pick up a light laminate, then it will look interesting with the sand color of the cork, and a dividing line will appear.
To give some originality and originality to the interior, you can lay a cork like a “forest path”. Cork is a unique material with which you can create a unique pattern.
We create a unique drawing
For a Mediterranean-style living room, a cork imitated by natural stone is suitable.
For high-tech style, minimalism, loft suitable cork coating imitated for concrete bulk. Such material can be used even in a children’s room, and it will not look boring.. You need to choose different bright colors panels.
This type of coating is often used in gyms or gyms. Since heavy objects fall on the floor, there will be no trace, no cracks or scratches, and no such noise.
Withstands very well any drops to the surface
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: A Guide to Floor Types (140+ Photos) You Can Do It Yourself in a Private House
You can approach interior decoration with such an idea as a combination of colors. This helps to create a stylish, unusual floor finish. By the way, this method is also used for wall decoration..
Several colors can be combined together. This is how patterns are created, places and zones are highlighted. This is a good idea for spacious rooms..
How to create some patterns on the floor
There is also a complex combination of cork. This option is suitable for large living rooms. The picture, the pattern is already more difficult to choose. For example, you can make a corkboard with octagonal stars on it. Or lay out the cork in a checkerboard pattern, with alternating colors.
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: Tiles on the floor in the corridor (245+ Photos) – How to choose and put? Modern and beautiful options
To create a stylish and original interior, you can resort to using photo printing. They use technologies such as Print. A thin layer of texture of any material that only exists in nature is covered on top of the cork.. More often they do imitation:
- different types of wood;
- sometimes they even use a straw print.
Modular Artistic Cork Flooring
There is a standard blank, which is the basis for printing. It is used in the manufacture of the cork itself. The difference is that here it is sanded, given the perfect smoothness to its surface, covered over with white paint.
There are mockups of images that are created by the program, up to 10 pieces. This is necessary so that those floorboards that are laid side by side do not repeat themselves. They should create the appearance of a continuous coating that is as close as possible to the original underlying.
We change to a more convenient and practical option
After the drawing is applied to the cork, it is varnished three times. This is necessary to avoid premature erasure of the drawing..
AdviceYou can make sure that the imitation of the drawing is of good quality as follows: compare several photographs of ready-made layouts and find the differences. There should be a minimum of them.
Cork can be used to complement any interior. He will add freshness, lightness to it, will be able to give originality and uniqueness. You can experiment with flooring like cork as you wish, making your home look beautiful, cozy and fashionable..
Do not forget to varnish the floor
Cork is a good finishing material. If properly cared for, it will last a long time. Also, a wide selection of colors, the ability to apply a print allow you to create an interesting, unique design.. If you comply with all the necessary conditions of the technology, then the coating can be laid on your own, this will help save a large amount. But, if knowledge in this matter is not enough, it is better to seek specialized help..
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: Puzzle mats for children – Soft floor: developing with comfort (145+ Photos)
Types of coatings
The already processed bark of cork oak comes to the consumer in the following form:
- Technical plug – produced in the form of rolls, plates. Roll material can be used simply as a substrate for various types of finishing coat.
- Lock stopper (floating cork floor, cork parquet) – a simple laminate from pressed hardboard (MDF), which has click locks. The cork is glued from above, from below to it.
- Cork tiles of different sizes – with the help of cork tiles, complex patterns are created, the room is visually divided.
Chateau floor with photo printing
The choice of the type of cork covering will depend on the wishes and preferences of the owners..
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: What does a light floor look like in the interior – Strengths and weaknesses (265+ Photos)
The main advantages of cork come from the characteristics of its materials. It has a good porous structure. INAll pores are sealed and contain a mixture of nitrogen, oxygen. This structure provides it with characteristics such as lightness, firmness, elasticity..
Wall plug option
Based on this, the following positive qualities of cork can be distinguished:
- Resistance to deformation. Traces of furniture can remain on linoleum, the same happens on cork. But, in the second case, this phenomenon is temporary; after the rearrangement, the surface takes on the same shape. In addition, if you drop a heavy object, there will be no traces.
- Warm. Cork, unlike tiles, linoleum, marble, is warm to the touch. slowly absorbs the heat that comes from the person himself.
- Environmental friendliness. This is made from natural material. Based on this, an additional advantage is protection against radioactive and other radiation..
- Slip resistance. This advantage allows the use of such a coating on stairs, as well as in public places..
- Good sound insulation. Such a floor covering will well muffle various sounds and noise in rooms. So, the neighbors will not hear the children’s stomp, or the crash from the damage of any heavy object. This only applies to noise in this apartment, it does not relieve sounds from neighboring apartments.
The coating has a good porous structure
- Hygiene. The plug has anti-condensation properties. Less mold forms on it, no corrosion is noted, and such a material is well protected from steam effects. This flooring does not require much maintenance. For light dirt, just wipe it off with a cloth or use a vacuum cleaner.
- Hypoallergenic materials. Dust does not accumulate on such a surface. This makes everyday life easier for allergy sufferers. Such a floor will be relevant to use in medical institutions..
- Durability. Depending on the quality of the installation and the characteristics of the coating, its manufacturers give it a 10-20 year guarantee.
- Orthopedic impact. The coating has good shock absorption, which helps to reduce the load on the legs and spine while walking.
Very easy to clean and clean
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: Ceramic floor tiles – lovingly from Spain. 240+ (Photo) for kitchen, bathroom, hallway
There are no materials that would be convenient in all respects and had no drawbacks. There are also disadvantages to using floor plugs:
- High price. If it is a quality cork made from solid veneer, then it will be expensive. The price for such coverage may exceed the cost laminate or parquet. This does not include the cost of laying, additional materials that builders need in the process.
- Poor tensile strength. Cork is resistant to deformation, but not everything. The coating can damage stiletto heels, cat claws, sharp legs of metal furniture.
- Swelling. Floating cork can swell due to high humidity. All because MDF – the basis of the coating, this material swells from moisture. Therefore, it is not advisable to use such a floor covering in a bathroom and rooms with high humidity..
- Other inconveniences. There are also such negative aspects as roughness. Therefore, the surface must be coated with various compounds. Difficulties can be dependent on the coefficient of friction. If it is high, then the soles of soft home slippers and socks can be erased. If the indicator is very low – how much such coverage will be.
VIDEO: Choosing cork floors
All the pros and cons of such a floor covering are relative. Everyone selects him for certain qualities..