Quilling is the skill of paper rolling. Master classes for Beginners Step by step (165+ Photos)
Quilling is a word very few people know. And it means making figures from strips of paper twisted into spirals. Is it really that simple and easy to do? The variety of options will surprise you.
Next, I will tell you how to create beautiful things from ordinary paper. This type of activity will help you brighten up long winter evenings or make a beautiful thing with your own hands and give it to your loved one. Or maybe after my lessons, it will become a hobby for you and even bring a small income.
But in order to understand what it is, to find out who invented it, let’s plunge into the history of quilling..
A bit of history
This art form was invented by monks in Europe during the Middle Ages. When they cut off the edges of the books with gilding and wrap them around the ends of the feathers of the birds. Thus, it turned out something like a golden miniature..
Making figures from paper strips twisted into a spiral
This is where the name quilling comes from. From the English word “quill”, which translates as “bird feather”. At the very beginning, this was done in poor churches, especially in the 19th century, quilling was a favorite pastime of noble ladies..
Forgotten in the twentieth century. And at the end of the last century, quilling began to return to people’s homes as a hobby..
As a result of his walks around the world, schools began to form in each country. And each nation brought something to its own in this kind of art. For example, oriental schools differ from European ones in the complexity of patterns, which allows oriental people to create masterpieces of art..
And the Korean school differs from the European one in that a rod is not used when winding the paper, and everything is done by hand. The work of the Korean school is very complex. In our country, this art became popular at the end of the twentieth century..
The art form was invented by monks in Europe during the Middle Ages.
Therefore, few of us know this art form thoroughly. I will introduce you to the basics of this art form, give advice, give examples and try to give you all my knowledge. Let’s start with a base of basics.
But before you start to engage in this type of creativity, you need to prepare. That is, to acquire the necessary tools for work.
List of required tools
Below I have given a list of essential tools if we want to create all kinds of beauty out of paper..
- Long and narrow colored stripes paper.
- Small scissors.
- Rod for wrapping rolls.
- Officer’s ruler. If it is not there, then a template made of paper with a grid and radii applied.
You can not spend money on the purchase of quilling kits. And make the right tools from home appliances.
Such beauty does not cost much.
To do this, use ordinary female nail scissors with straight ends, an awl or a toothpick. Between the two ends of the scissors, you need to put a long strip of paper, squeeze gently so as not to cut and wind. With an awl and a toothpick, they act a little differently: the edge of the paper lies on the end of the awl and sticks with your finger, and the rest of the strip is screwed onto it with the other hand.
Now, knowing and keeping the tools that we need next to us, we can proceed to learning the basics of quilling..
Quilling basics for beginners
The production of paper products begins with a drawing. In this form of art, drawing is a scheme according to which an unusual craft will be made in the future, which can bring a bit of brightness and unforgettableness to your interior. First, let’s look at how simple diagrams are drawn and which of them are magical crafts using the example of making a snowflake.
A wonderful gift with your own hands
We will need:
- Colored paper.
Now we take A4 paper and fold the sheet so that we get a right-angled triangle. Cut off the unnecessary excess part and fold it three times. Then we draw patterns on it and cut them out.
When we have mastered the initial and simple technique for making crafts, which we discussed above, we move on to more complex ones. Let’s learn how to make rolls. It is the main element in the quilling technique..
Appetizing work of art
We will need:
- Colored paper.
- PVA glue.
Rod for making rolls
At the very beginning, you need to outline with a pencil the future composition on the blank for a greeting card or the place where this product will be located upon completion. The next thing we need to do is roll. To do this, we need to take a thin and long strip of paper and wind it on a specially prepared rod..
After what has been done, we must let the roll unfold. The end of the roll must be carefully glued to the spiral that has turned out. Now you can give the roll any look, be it a drop, a heart or a month.
Will decorate any home
AdviceIn order not to get smeared with glue, it is necessary to apply it to the details of the product quite a bit. You can do this with a toothpick..
Special paper for quilling is on sale. Better to use her.
And now we got to the main elements of quilling.
Now let’s take a look at what parts the creations in quilling consist of. Any work starts with tight spiral. This is the first element in quilling when preparing a product..
Above, when we made a roll, in fact, we used this element. But then we did not know its true name yet. Now we know this.
Let’s repeat the process of creating a tight spiral again. A rod is taken, a strip of narrow paper is wound around it. And the tip of the latter is neatly glued to the spiral.
- If you are right-handed, hold the strip with your left hand and the rod with your right.
- If the strip is double-sided, then the back of it should look towards the rod.
- The rod needs to be rotated clockwise.
The next element is the “free spiral”. It is made in the same way as a “tight spiral”. But after we have finished winding it, we need to remove the spiral from the rod and let it unwind a little..
Now we have learned how to create various kinds of spirals. The same technology is used to create a “curl” figure. But at the end of the work, the tip of the paper tape does not stick and hangs freely in the air.
Any name can be performed in this technique
In order to make a drop, you need to squeeze one part of the “free spiral” shape with your fingers and hold it for a few seconds. This is done so that the shape takes on the shape of a drop. You can also bend the tip at the “drop” shape, getting a slightly different element “curved drop”.
AdviceIf you are just starting to learn quilling – never rush!
Well, we examined simple forms of quilling. Now it’s time to move on to the more complex ones. These shapes are obtained from two or more folded together..
Complex shapes in quilling
The complex element “horns” is created from two “free spirals” twisted in different directions.
For him, take a long strip of paper and break it in half. The right side is screwed in one direction, the left in the opposite direction. Such an element can be attached to a fun greeting card..
Underwater theme – decorate a house near the sea
The next figure will be the “heart”.
It is done in the same way as the horns. Only the directions in which the spirals are wound change. And the junction is clamped with your fingers. This type of product is ideal for decorating a gift for your girlfriend or spouse..
The next most difficult will be the “crescent”.
It is made from a simple shape of “eyes” only the opposite corners are bent upwards. It turns out something like the letter “C”. For the form, which in psychology denotes a leader, namely for a triangle, a “free spiral” is taken. Then it is compressed in three parts with your fingers and held for a while..
The next element is obtained from the shape of a triangle.
To do this, you need to bend two opposite sides to the center. And we will get “paws”. To make a square shape, I use a free spiral. Then I squeeze it in four parts so that I get a square.
Suitable for decorating a nursery
So we got acquainted with the basic forms of products in quilling. And also now we know what tools we need for this type of creativity. And we have some base that will allow us to move on to creating more complex products.
Such flowers will serve as a novice quilling master as a kind of transition from simple to complex. In fact, this is not yet the most complex product, but it contains many simple elements that complicate the manufacture of the product. Thus, a novice creator receives invaluable experience and beauty in his home, made with his own hands..
To create these colors, you need to make a “drop” from the “free spiral”. And in order for the flower petals to have a different color, you need colored paper.
As you can see, the core of the flower is created from a “free spiral”. Next, the core of the flower is first glued to the postcard or the surface that you intend to decorate. Around this figure, I glue the “drops” that I have already made in advance.
“Drops” are a kind of petals. They can be made in one color, or in different colors..
The more different colors there are in the product, the more beautiful and brighter it will look. The main thing is not to overdo it with color..
You can also decorate the postcard with a “heart” or “eye” shape. It will be a very pleasant gift for the eighth of March for your beloved.
Here we have learned how to make more complex products. Now let’s go back to the snowflakes again. Only this time I’ll make it harder.
Quilling – snowflake
Here we are back to the topic of making snowflakes. This time we will make a snowflake quilling. It differs from a simple one in a more complex shape and patterns. To your taste and color, such snowflakes can be either multi-colored, or white, or with an admixture of a blue tint..
To make such New Year’s snowflakes, we need:
- Quilling paper.
- Safety pins.
At the very beginning, you need to draw a template according to which they will be made. It is necessary to divide the strips of paper in half. There should be three of them. Then I turn the first spiral. Then I insert it into the hole of the stencil. It is necessary to make the rest of the spirals the same size. Therefore, I find out that the hole is equal to one centimeter, which means that the other four spirals will be the same size..
In order not to damage the workpiece, I pull it out carefully and with a toothpick, and then let it unwind a little. And only after that I glue the tip to the spiral. Then I place these blanks in the center of the layout drawn in advance..
For beginners, it is advisable to use pins to attach the spirals to the breadboard. And then they can be glued.
The next model I make is the “eye”. Then I put several “eyes” around one spiral. And then I glue it together. Then I make a tight spiral. I described the principle of its creation above, so I will not repeat myself. And glue it to the tops of the snowflake. This will be the final element. You can see the result in the picture above..
AdviceFor beginners, it can be difficult to make “free spirals” models non-rollable. Therefore, it is necessary to shift the center of the spiral to the edge and press it. You can even apply a little glue.
When Snowflake ready, you can hang it on tree or attach to window. Such products will always give you warmth and joy. And making such things with your own hands will give you confidence in your abilities and a feeling of uplifting strength and mood..
A more complex version of the snowflake
Now we have learned how to make complex snowflakes. The next step will be making decorative jewelry in the form of lovely ladies’ earrings. They are perfect for a birthday present for your girlfriend.
Making women’s earrings
To create such jewelry, very beloved by our women, we need:
- Colored paper. I will have blue and white.
- Quilling rod.
- Quilling board.
- PVA glue.
At the very beginning, in order for such jewelry to be symmetrical, I will have to imagine how the earrings will look and draw a diagram on paper. This diagram will serve as a template for gluing the various parts..
Make your loved one happy
- I cut six strips of blue paper, one centimeter wide, and glue them together..
- Made of white paper, three strips and glue to the end of the resulting tape of blue stripes. And I supplement it with three more glued strips of blue paper. I do this twice to get two long ribbons..
- Then, with the help of a rod, I turn them into a “tight spiral” shape. We discussed the creation of this form at the very beginning..
- I do the same tapes again, only I cut the strips in two. That is, instead of six strips, I cut out four from blue paper, I also leave three from white paper and glue it together, adding two strips and blue paper at the end..
- With the help of the rod, I also turn this tape into a “tight spiral”. Only now it turned out to be smaller than the first one. And I create another spiral like this.
Nice gift for Valentine’s Day
Take your time, this technique doesn’t like being in a hurry.
- And the third time I do the same with the paper as the first two times, only I reduce the number of strips of the first blue ribbons to two.
- Again I turn the created ribbon into a “tight spiral”. As well as the first time, I will need two such spirals. You have probably already guessed why I needed paired forms of quilling. Of course, there should be two ladies’ earrings! Now I lay out the prepared forms on the already created template and glue them.
- Finally, I cut out a few more strips of blue paper, glue them together and twist them with a rod. But now I turn the shape not into a “tight spiral”, but into a “free spiral” and pinch it along the edges with my fingers and stretch it slightly to get the shape of “eyes”.
- I make four such types of figures. Two for each earring and stick it according to the template.
- The final step is to thread the clasp ring through the eye-shaped holes. The picture below shows what an excellent beauty I have..
Any woman will like
So we learned how to create complex and beautiful ladies’ jewelry. Let’s now try to make an unusual quilling flower.
Making an unusual flower
Now we come to more serious things. I will tell you and show you how to make a volumetric quilling flower. To do this, you need to purchase or get tools already prepared in advance, namely:
- A4 white paper.
- Regular and curly scissors.
- Yellow ink and red dye.
- Sponge, knife, pencil.
- Glue, pipette, quilling rod.
Flower of hearts
- I take a sheet of white paper and divide it into strips three centimeters wide. Then I cut them and glue the strips one by one along the length. The result is one long tape..
- Now we need to paint it. Using a pipette, apply paint to a sponge. Apply yellow ink on one half of the sponge, red paint on the other half.
- Then, using a sponge, we paint our prepared long tape of white paper. And after the paint dries on a paper tape, we cut out the pattern using curly scissors. What should turn out can be seen in the picture..
- Now let’s move on to creating the petals for our flower. They must be cut so that both the petals and the corners sticking out between them. In this case, you need to leave four millimeters uncut at the edge so that the tape does not break. As shown in the picture below.
- Then I make a core for the flower. To do this, I twist a strip of quilling paper into a tight spiral. The diameter of the roll must match the diameter of the pencil.
If the diameter is smaller, then you can safely add another tape.
More complex, voluminous craft
Apply glue only to the uncut edge.!
- The next stage of creation flower there will be glue coating of the painted tape from the side of the paint application.
- Then I glue the petals of the flower with the core, as shown in the figure.
- After the flower is twisted, it is necessary to glue its bottom with PVA glue to be sure that it will not come apart in the future..
- Now I remove the flower from the rod and straighten its edges with my fingers. As a result, it turned out such a miracle..
- Of course, at your discretion – you can straighten the edges, or you may not. I straightened them in order to insert a “pistil” there, and thereby make the flower more like a real flower.
- I cut off part of the sharpened pencil, grease the cut off part with glue and stick it in the center of the flower. Here’s what we get!
Any of these products can decorate postcards on the first school day of the year, please the child with its beauty and uniqueness..
Before that, we looked at the quilling technique for adults. But you can also involve children in this handicraft. Thus, they will develop the breadth and originality of thinking..
Quilling for children
According to psychologists and pediatricians, modern children now have poorly developed hand and finger motor skills.. It is difficult for them to correctly and firmly hold a pen or pencil in their hand..
Therefore, it is difficult for them in life to learn standard skills and simple self-service. Quilling for children promotes the development of this type of motor skills. At the same time, it raises the level of logical thinking..
Easy to make a child
The development of fine motor skills helps to increase the child’s attention and memory. All this will be extremely necessary for him in his future life and the quilling technique can help a lot in this..
It also helps to educate the child in perseverance, accuracy, taste aesthetics. Of course, you need to start with simple things..
Master class for children – ladybug
To create a ladybug, we need the following materials:
- Cardboard sheet.
- Colored paper.
- Screw rod.
- PVA glue.
- At the very beginning, I cut out the body of a ladybug from cardboard – a semicircular oval. Then from a sheet of red colored paper I make an oval in the shape of the body and cut off the lower part as shown in the figure.
- Now I prepare the bottom part from a light yellow sheet and glue it onto cardboard. Then I take and cut out a long black strip and glue in the center of the cardboard..
- When the oval of the body for the “ladybug” is ready, you can proceed to the “paper twisting”. Black dots on the body of a ladybug will consist of “free spirals”. Then I glue these created forms to cardboard..
A six-year-old child can do just such a simple craft. After making simple shapes, you can move on to more complex ones..
To create a butterfly, we need the following materials:
- Colored paper.
- Sewing needles.
- PVA glue.
- Quilling board.
Now let’s start creating.
Shades of paper colors must match.
- Let’s make wings for the butterfly. To do this, I will cut three strips of long strips of paper, but not the same size. And of course I will make them from sheets of different colors..
- Then I glue the strips. And since I cut them to different lengths, I start with a short one and end with a long one..
- Then I twist them gently. It is necessary that the shortest strip remains inside. And I glue the remaining free tip from the outside.
- I insert the resulting spirals into the holes of the quilling board, where they unwind freely and take the desired shape.
- Then I press the center of the spiral to one side and glue all the stripes to that side. I create the torso from two spirals. I turn one spiral into an “eye” shape, and leave the other in a “free spiral” shape. The “eye” will serve as the body, and the “free spiral” will serve as the head of the butterfly..
- Now I glue one end of the “eye” shape to the “free spiral” shape, and then glue the wings to the resulting torso, the creation of which we disassembled a little higher..
It can be used to decorate the interior of a living room or a nursery.
Now, in order for her to become truly indistinguishable from the real one, I need to attach a mustache to her.
To do this, I take two strips of paper and create a “curl” shape out of them. And I glue butterflies to the head. Here we have such a beautiful butterfly.
It can be used to decorate the interior of a living room or a nursery. Such figures are suitable even for interior decoration in kindergartens and assembly halls of schools for matinees..
It will be interesting for you:
Quilling in kindergartens
In Soviet times, a lot was devoted to the development of children in preschool age. In the nineties, this topic began to decline. Now many kindergartens have resumed their work, becoming, of course, private.
But, if you are the head of a kindergarten, or maybe you just want your child to learn this needlework, then you can teach quilling classes with the kids. It will be interesting for children and will develop their thinking processes before entering school at the proper level. With this technique, they will learn to think quickly and abstractly..
Lamb with children’s handles
The program for working with toddlers in kindergartens consists of several stagesups:
- Children need to be taught to cut and create simple shapes, at the same time, talking about where this type of needlework came from and how it came about..
- Children need to be taught how to create the simplest “free spiral” shape at the beginning and help stick it on the base of various applications such as “ladybug”, “fruit tree”.
- Then you need to master the “drop” shape. To teach how to use this form in applications such as rain, flowers.
- The next type of training will be the transition from simple forms to complex ones. That is, now the child needs to be taught to create the “triangle” and “eye” shapes. His final work in the form of an exam should be making a simple palm tree..
- Now you need to consolidate all the material covered. And practice making compositions based on the studied forms.
As you can see, the stages of mastering quilling for children are no different from teaching adults. Teaching this type of needlework in a child, in addition to all the described qualities, forms perseverance.
Develop your imagination
After mastering some simple and some complex forms by the kid, it is necessary to teach him how to create a “curl” shape. You need to fix the study by asking him to create an applique from frosty patterns using this form. Now you need to master the manufacture of the shape “arrow”.
After mastering this form, conduct a small exam for making flower appliques with this type of form.
And finally, you need to consolidate the creation of all forms from simple to complex and move on to making more voluminous compositions. For example, butterflies on flowers.
AdviceEach child develops only at its own pace. Therefore, in no case should you rush or reproach him for lagging behind his peers, citing the work of others as an example.!
Now we have sorted out all types of stages of this needlework, read a master class on some types of crafts. And they even found out that such useful handicrafts can be taught to their children. It will develop their thinking, increase the speed of motor skills of movements, develop perseverance and develop other useful qualities in life..
Will fit into any interior
Finally, a few tips that I did not have time to tell you in this article.
Some tips I missed earlier
- The density of quilling paper should be in the range of 120-160 g per square meter. Since it is this density that creates the strength of the crafts and will keep their shape qualitatively.
- The length of the strips should be equal to 30 centimeters. Both the splendor and the volume of the product depend on it. If possible, you need to try to find ready-made strips for quilling.
- The width of the paper strips must also adhere to the specified dimensions, namely: 3-5 millimeters.
- It is necessary to diversify the color scheme. So that the products do not look dull and the same. To do this, stores sell quilling paper of a wide variety of colors and patterns..
In this technique, you can make any picture.