How to make DIY paper window decorations? (150+ Photos). We meet the New 2018 Year of the Dog beautifully
The voluminous decor creates a festive atmosphere in the room. How to find paper decorations suitable for windows?
Choosing paper window decorations
Garlands, snowflakes, volumetric paper figures bring a festive atmosphere without overloading the interior. Window decorations can be flat or voluminous, made of various types of paper. Flat accessories adhere to the glass surface without taking up space in the room.
Reindeer figurines – a symbol of Christmas
The shapes, sizes and colors of paper Christmas toys depend on the area of the room, the size of the windows and the level of illumination. Window decorations should not interfere with the passage of daylight, otherwise the style is limited only by the imagination of the apartment owners.
Snowflakes are New Year’s favorite decorations since childhood
Traditional “snowflakes” cut from white paper are a quick and inexpensive way to add a festive mood to a room. Various types of material for creativity are suitable for more sophisticated accessories: voluminous crafts, figures, garlands.
Varieties of paper
Use designer paper to create vibrant decorations
A catchy New Year’s decor is created from designer paper, the surface of which imitates various materials, covered with sequins, fibers, patterns.
Dense for large items
- Traditional white paper comes in different weights, glossy or matte finishes. Crafts made from such material will fit the room in any color scheme, convey the “winter” flavor of the Christmas decor.
- Mulberry (Mulberry) – dense translucent sheets, from which it is convenient to cut shapes on a stencil. For example, miniature snow drifts or imitation of spruce wreaths.
- Craft – a dense material of a shade of coffee with milk for creating massive objects. The texture imitates “gingerbread houses”.
- Corduroy is covered with thin fibers, resembles fabric from a distance. This material gives texture to simple shapes. For example, small Christmas trees cut from corduroy texture look catchy and will suit any interior..
Make a craft paper gingerbread house and decorate your windowsill
Slim for small crafts
- Rice – thin and textured, authentically imitates a layer of frost, snow or ice on the windows. Figures from it are suitable for decorating window panes around the perimeter, creating the effect of a frosty pattern..
- Italian corrugated – to create garlands and add New Year color to window cornices.
- Ecolux is a thin material with a pronounced texture, similar to wrinkled silk, often has a holographic effect. Ecolux garlands include small elements of a simple shape (circles, rhombuses, snowflakes), which look unusual due to the texture.
Corrugated paper Christmas balls
There are quite a few varieties of design paper, when choosing a material for large ornaments of a simple form, it is better to focus on denser options (craft, mulberry). Small elements are made of pronounced textures (corrugated, eco-friendly).
The finished decor is fixed on the cornice, windowsill and the surface of the window glass; to create a harmonious composition, several types of crafts are combined.
Multicolored corrugated paper garland
Types of decor for windows
Window decoration in red and white colors
New Year’s accessories are glued to the glass surface, installed on cornices and window sills, and also suspended from both sides of the opening.
Flat glass decorations
Traditional paper decor – snowflakes, figures of Santa Claus, Snow Maiden and the symbol of the year, cut out according to stencils. Manufacturing does not take much time, the beauty of the crafts is given by a non-trivial form, textured in bright colors.
The deer looking out of the window will make you smile
The size of the paper figures depends on the number of decorations and the size of the window: the abundance of accessories is appropriate in spacious rooms with large openings. Miniature flat objects in bright colors are suitable for decorating small rooms.
Cardboard houses can be made from multi-colored cardboard with your child
Bulk decorations for cornices and window sills
Openwork snowflakes, garlands of paper balls, flowers, animal figurines can be made with your own hands from a simple color of different density. Popular techniques for making such items:
Origami red star
- Origami is a traditional option for creating fancy crafts from a single sheet of paper. Origami Christmas toys are small in size, catchy elegant options are created from textured paper covered with glitter.
- Quilling is a technique for creating toys and figures from thin sheets of different colors. The color scheme of toys is very diverse..
- Kirigami is a technique for gluing stencil structures. Several elements are cut from a dense monochromatic, combined into a volumetric composition and installed on the windowsill.
- Decoupage is a technique for creating catchy New Year’s accessories. At the heart of each item is a stencil made of thick paper, which is pasted over with pieces of material with a pattern. Decoupage toys look good in eclectic interiors, combined with loft style.
- Papier-mâché is a way to create paper decorations from several layers of material soaked in glue. Figures are placed on the windowsill, sometimes added to garlands.
Winter village on a windowsill using the kirigami technique
Hanging window decorations
Garlands are fixed on cornices, window sills, window panes.
Garlands-birds made of cards, for those who want a lot of travel in the new year
- The traditional version consists of elements of different colors or sizes, which are attached to a thread. Such paper garlands in various styles are placed on any part of the window, they are easy to combine with other decor..
- Completely paper garlands consist of individual elements glued together. A popular option is a chain of separate paper rings threaded into each other.
- Designer garlands – complete compositions of several elements, catchy and original. The rest of the decor items are selected in neutral shades..
Garland of multicolored corrugated paper with bulbs – daring and original
Features of window decoration
The harmonious arrangement of paper garlands, figurines and other crafts on the window creates a festive composition. The design of window sills, glass and cornices has its own rules.
The window decorated in the style of minimalism will look elegant
Colors of jewelry
Creative paper is available in various textures and colors, so decorations can be made in any style.
White in traditional design
- Traditional white snowflakes, voluminous garlands are a universal way to decorate a window. Monochrome items look great with warm LED backlighting.
- The natural color scheme of New Year’s decorations goes well with the laconic interior in a modern style. Sand, gray and green shades, complemented by shiny elements and intricate shapes, will decorate the window without overloading it.
- The bold colors used in the industrial production of paper decor are not suitable for every room. Bright, shiny snowflakes and garlands should be combined with the shade of window curtains, wallpaper, and the rest of the furniture. Otherwise, the interior looks overwhelmed..
- The combination of companion colors in paper accessories creates a bright but discreet style. Designer Christmas toys are available in home accessories stores, you can make them yourself if you choose the material of the desired shades.
Be careful with bright decorations so as not to overwhelm the interior.
Decorations of neutral shades made of textured paper with imitation of textiles (wool, silk, cotton) are suitable for classic interiors, Provence or Norman rooms. This decor does not distract attention from the rest of the interior..
Christmas colors are red and green. These are the symbols of evergreen spruce and the color of the flame in the hearth.
Placement of accessories on the window
The arrangement of the elements in the window opening depends on their size, material, and the level of illumination of the room..
The location of the elements depends on many factors.
- Large bright accessories occupy the central part of the window. These can be crafts in the form of trees and balls, figures cut by stencils, or whole compositions..
- Background decor – colored paper garlands and snowflakes cut from simple white materials (coated or rice paper).
- Small volumetric embellishments made of textured paper complete the composition and add color accents.
Large Christmas toys occupy the central part of the window
Large New Year’s toys occupy the central part of the window, the side surfaces are decorated with garlands along the frame. The design of the cornice and the window sill is symmetrical, it visually completes the composition. This arrangement requires a lot of background decorations in soft colors..
Windows in small rooms are discreetly decorated, often the decor is represented by one large element, for example, a bright snowflake made of textured paper. The rest of the accessories are much smaller in size, often the whole New Year’s environment is limited to a large snowflake in the center of the glass.
A small window can be decorated with one large element
This is how narrow tall windows are decorated: paper decorations are arranged diagonally, sometimes they are placed in the center, bottom or top of the window opening. The purpose of this decor is to create the impression of a careless, natural arrangement of elements..
Asymmetry creates a casual effect
Features of the design of glasses, cornices and window sills
A well-decorated window is a complete composition of several decorations. Materials and dimensions depend on the size of the window opening, the general style of the room: the interior of a light shade is complemented by a catchy decor. Rooms in bright colors, loft or eclectic styles are decorated with small paper balls, garlands of light colors.
A well-thought-out composition will be a good decoration for the New Year.
Decoration of cornices
Window cornices are suitable for placing bulky paper garlands of bright colors. The upper border of the window, decorated with textured paper, looks festive. The shade of the decoration is selected to match the curtains or in contrast with them.
Bright paper garlands decorate the cornices
A paper garland is placed on the cornice with symmetrical waves that decorate the window with lambrequins. Bright garlands of large balls, Christmas trees or figures are placed in the center of the cornice, or hung along the edges.
Flag garlands can be placed in symmetrical waves
Light-colored paper figurines create a festive atmosphere without blocking the flow of light from the window. It is better to place them in the center so as not to interfere with the opening and closing of the doors. Shiny paper, unusual shapes or volumetric elements are used sparingly so as not to disturb the harmony of the composition..
Window decorations are best placed in the middle of the glass
It is recommended to pay attention to openwork jewelry with an abundance of cuts: they look more “airy”. Opaque decor made of thick paper is placed along the edges of the glass so as not to reduce the level of natural light in the room.
Bulk decorations, massive garlands are placed on the glass closer to the cornice, as they visually reduce the size of the window.
Small snowflakes can be used to lay out different figures, for example, such deer
Window sill decoration
Handicrafts in various techniques, figures on stands, garlands of paper balls are placed on the windowsills. Accessories should not interfere with opening and closing windows, pulling curtains.
The silhouette of a New Year’s city, cut out of paper, will look cozy if you place candles inside
Wide window sills are often used as a work surface, then it is better to place the decor in the corners of the surface, choose flat options. You can fix the jewelry with tape, which tolerates intensive use..
Paper crafts are a quick way to decorate windows for the New Year in any style and color. Dense craft is suitable for simple flat decorations; small elements are made from thin materials. Paper accessories are placed on the cornice, window glass, windowsill. Massive jewelry looks better at the bottom of the composition..
Beautiful vytynanka for the New Year
The color scheme of the New Year’s decor is chosen to match the interior or in contrast with it. Traditional white color, light warm range of natural shades are suitable for most interiors. Restrained interiors in light shades will complement paper accessories made in eye-catching contrasting colors or using companion colors.