The best tomato varieties for the Moscow region
The demand for seeds for tomato seedlings rises in mid-March. Summer residents of settlements in the Moscow region are no exception. Residents of these regions need to have time to choose the best varieties of tomatoes for the Moscow region.
Every year summer residents are looking for seeds of the best varieties of tomatoes that would bring a large and high-quality harvest. The peculiarity of these regions lies in the climate, which is characterized by sharp changes in temperature and humidity, as well as the onset of early cold weather. Tomatoes are thermophilic plants, therefore, in order to grow high-quality tomato fruits, it is necessary to choose varieties of early or medium ripening.
The growing period of tomato bushes is about 90 days. Seedlings of the selected variety should have time to grow before they are planted in open ground immediately after the late May frosts. To begin with, tomato seeds for the Moscow region are planted in greenhouse conditions. This should be done around mid-April. Sometimes, if the weather forecast and the state of the climate allows, you can start growing seedlings at the beginning of April..
The search for new varieties does not affect the planting of long-proven tomato species. This is a kind of experiment in gardening, which consists in the desire of summer residents to find new properties of bred varieties of tomatoes..
Hybrid varieties obtained by crossing a line of the same variety are more in demand among modern dacha and vegetable gardens. This is due to the fact that crossed tomato plants have better quality properties than parental raw materials. For this, seeds of the 1st generation are used (they are denoted by the abbreviation F1).
What tomatoes are best planted in a greenhouse?
The selection of the best varieties for growing tomatoes in closed conditions is a purely subjective decision. It is based on the general opinions of the region’s population. There are several varieties that should be distinguished from the rest of the good options. So which tomatoes are better to plant in a greenhouse in the suburbs?
De Barao. It belongs to mid-season varieties (125-130 days). The peculiarity of these tomatoes is that the seedlings need to be cooked 2 weeks earlier than other types. Seedlings are planted with 3 plants per 1 m2 of area. Tomato bushes are tall and require the installation of additional trellises (wood stops). Bushes have a predominant property – resistance to the formation and development of late blight.
The fruits of De Barao are oval in shape and weigh about 70 g. One brush produces at least 10 fruits, and summer residents collect about 4 kg from one bush. ripe vegetables.
Tomatoes of this variety have excellent taste, so they can be used for pickles, marinades and salads. They are stored for a long time without losing their taste. De Barao fruits can be yellow, pink and red..
The most beneficial are yellow fruits, as they contain a lot of carotene. This substance helps to prevent diseases of the cardiovascular system..
Nevsky. An early variety of tomatoes grown in greenhouse conditions. Full ripening period is 90-100 days. The bushes of this variety do not need to be tied to the stops, the fruits are not large, have a rounded shape of red, weighing up to 60 g.
About 5 plants should be planted per square meter. The best period for this is April. When planting, it is recommended to apply nitrogen fertilizers in a small amount. When the fruits of the Nevsky variety reach a pinkish hue, they need to begin to be harvested.
Sweet Bunch. This is the best tomato variety for the Moscow region, which has the shortest ripening period (85-90 days). The variety Sweet bunch is intended only for greenhouses. One brush of this plant is capable of producing up to 50 small tomatoes weighing about 40 g. The bush can reach a height of up to 2 meters, therefore, they require special care and construction for a garter. During the entire ripening period, the plant is not affected by most of the known traditional diseases..
It is very useful to use fresh juices from the fruits of this variety. Also, many summer residents love to preserve them..
Andromeda F1. The variety belongs to early maturing hybrid plants. Their full ripening period is about 90 days. The tomato bush is not high – 70 cm, but the productivity is impressive – 10 kg / bush. 4 bushes can be planted on one square meter. The weight of one fruit can reach 120 g.
Seedlings should be grown around the turn of March / April. Seedlings should be planted in the soil, which is heated to 180C. It is imperative to carry out a pick. The plant needs constant watering.
Tomato varieties for greenhouses in the Moscow region should be selected in accordance with the subjective opinion of experienced summer residents of the region.
Tomatoes for open ground near Moscow
In addition to greenhouse species, there are also varieties for open ground in this region. How to grow tomatoes outdoors in the Moscow region?
Gardeners practice the cultivation of several high-quality varieties that are ideal for the climate of the Moscow region:
- Demidov variety. This plant can reach a height of 0.6 m. The variety has a high yield and resistance to late blight. The ripening period is 100 days. The weight of one fruit can be 100 grams. Seeds for seedlings are prepared in early April. On 1 m2 of area, it is allowed to plant about 6 bushes at the same time. The plant requires careful watering once a week. Mineral fertilizers should be added at planting.
- Tomato variety Sultan F1. This plant is a Dutch hybrid. It is ideal for the open climate of the Moscow region, since it quickly adapts to unfavorable environmental factors. Ripening period – 70 days. Fruits weigh about 200 g. It is grown mainly for canning tomato paste, juice. Seedlings are prepared in mid-April. Planted in open ground in early May.
- Variety Fitous. A mid-season variety that has many properties (resistance to late blight and other diseases). The ripening period is 100 days. The plant is low, up to half a meter. Fruits weigh up to 70 g. About 12 kg can be harvested from one square meter. fruits. Seedlings should be prepared in early April and planted in early June in well-watered soil with 10 g of superphosphate added to each hole..
- Siberian early ripening variety. The ripening period for tomatoes is about 90-100 days. Has resistance to changeable climates. The bush can reach a height of 80 cm. The fruits are bright red in color. The shape of the fruit is round. The weight of one tomato can be 100 g. Excellent for canning and fresh consumption. Seedlings are prepared in early April. When planting, you should add about 10 g of superphosphate. Water each bush after sunset every day with a small amount of water.
- Tomato variety Bovine heart. These tomatoes got their name due to their heart-shaped shape. This is an excellent salad variety with high-quality taste and impressive dimensions. The weight of one fruit can reach up to 400 g. The color of tomatoes is pink-red. Bushes need a garter to the stops. It is also necessary to make a pick of the bushes of this variety. It is carried out when the first leaves appear. You need to leave 2 stalks, for this, the stepson from the first brush is used. Other stepsons are removed. Bushes love water, so they need to be watered regularly. The plant should be fed during the growing season with mineral fertilizers.
Thanks to the presence of tomatoes for the open ground of the Moscow region, a high yield can be expected. It is only necessary to properly grow seedlings and plant them in open ground on time, observing the methods of watering and feeding.