DIY New Year’s dough crafts: Simple and fun leisure time (145 + Photos). All the secrets for fun and successful work
Salted dough crafts are a popular way to do something with your own hands. They do not need a lot of money, since consumables cost a penny. Making Christmas tree decorations with your own hands is a way to invoke a New Year’s atmosphere into your home and have a good time. And children will be especially delighted. Stars, balls, lollipops, Christmas trees, figurines – everyone can do everything. Find out how they can be done further in the article..
How to work with the test
DIY dough lamb
Before you start sculpting, you need to make the dough itself.. To do this, you need ingredients that can be found in any kitchen:
- a glass of wheat flour;
- a glass of finely ground salt;
- half a glass of cold water.
Look nice and cheap
In order to make the dough easier to knead and hold better, you can add three tablespoons of starch to the list, but even without them, the result is suitable for sculpting. First, flour is poured into a bowl, then salt and, optionally, starch are added, then diluted with water.
Then it remains only to mix the ingredients first with a spoon, and then put the dough in a lump on table and roll it out and knead it well. As a result, it should turn out to be elastic, soft, should not stick to your hands and crumble..
It is important to make the dough correctly
If the dough is too crumbly, add water. If too sticky, flour and salt.
In order to further give the crafts a color – after all, the dough itself is yellowish, and this is boring – you can use one of the following methods:
- add food coloring at the kneading stage – then you need to mix the dough in several different bowls to get several pieces of different colors;
- use pencils, paints, markers and glitter when the crafts are ready.
DIY step-by-step master class
AdviceThe first method allows you to achieve a more consistent color. The second is more flexible and allows you to apply complex patterns, funny drawings and not depend on the shape in any way.
To give the finished crafts strength, you can dry them in two ways:
- slowly – for this, put the finished craft on a plate and put it in a warm, dry place, away from direct sunlight, for a week;
- quickly – put the finished craft in the oven for several hours so that it bakes there (the main thing is not to overexpose, otherwise it will crumble).
This decor can be used for any occasion.
The first method is slower, but the result will be achieved exactly. The second is faster, but there is a chance to ruin the craft by overexposing it, underexposing it or breaking it.
And, of course, the simpler the form, the less chance of ruining it..
Bright ideas that grab everyone’s attention
Asterisks, balls, lollipops and other simple forms
The easiest way to make a salt dough decoration is to take a cookie cutter and use it.. The algorithm is simple:
- roll out the dough into a layer with a thickness of about a centimeter and a half;
- using molds to cut stars, hearts, circles out of it;
- make a hole in each craft with a sharp stick and bake the resulting flat toys in the oven;
- take them out of the oven after two hours and paint.
Using cookie molds
There are different ways to color crafts to make them look good.. For example:
- one color – then you will get just bright, shiny toys;
- stripes – narrow, wide, horizontal, vertical, diagonal;
- peas – more, less, one color, multi-colored;
- patterns – geometric, floral, abstract, you can take from postcards, for example;
- drawings – snowflakes, Santa Claus, Snow Maiden, falling snow, Christmas trees.
Christmas toys on the Christmas tree
When the painting is finished, it remains only to thread the laces into the holes, tie them – and you can hang the finished toys on the Christmas tree.
If you need to keep a child from three to six years old, making such figures will benefit him, since it develops fine motor skills, coordination and imagination..
You can keep your child busy with dough modeling for a long time
To make flat figures look more interesting, you can take advantage of someone else’s experience and give them originality, charm. You can, for example:
- Make figurines with transparent skylights. To do this, cut out a figurine, and in its middle cut a through hole of the same shape – round, in the form of a herringbone or a star. Before sending the figurine to the oven, place a few plastic beads in the hole. When they melt, you get something like a stained glass window. The main thing is to place them not for two hours, but for twenty minutes, otherwise the plastic will not just melt, but will burn and it will smell unpleasant.
- Make a garland out of the figurines. To do this, it is enough to string them on a long cord, which can be decorated with feathers, beads and bells..
We string it on a cord after it dries
- Make a lollipop figurine. To do this, you need to make two lumps of dough, one red, the other white, roll both into long sausages, and then weave the sausages together and bend at the end. Cut the edges so that they are even.
Multi-colored treats, but not edible
- Make a mitten figurine or a sock figurine. To do this, cut out a form from cardboard, attach to the dough and circle with a knife. Alternatively, you can take a thin strip of tin (for example, cut from an aluminum can) and fold the form out of it..
- Make the figurine knitted. To do this, make two long sausages out of the dough and roll them into a flagellum. Cut the flagellum into equal parts and place on a rolled sheet of dough back to back. When a mold is used for cutting, the resulting figure will appear knitted. When it’s dry, you can glue a button on top for more similarity..
Making a knitted figurine
- Make a figurine in the shape of a month. It will look especially good if you cut out his nose and lips, and hang a small bell on the upper horn..
To make the figurines last longer – and look more spectacular – they can be coated with colorless nail or hair varnish. Then, when the varnish is dry, they will shine. And if there are also sparkles in the varnish, then it will not only shine, but also sparkle in the light. fairy lights.
Snowflakes can be counted as a separate type of flat figures. They are more difficult to make than the rest, since there are no ready-made forms for them, and making them from a piece of aluminum can will not work out so easily – they are too intricate.
Great decoration for the Christmas tree
There are three main ways to make a snowflake:
- Use openwork napkin. The pattern on the napkin looks great if you use it correctly – you need to attach the napkin to the dough and press harder. And then cut out the overall shape with a soft toy knife. Such a snowflake is very simple and looks vaguely like a snowflake, but small children will definitely like it..
- Use drawing. You need to take the scheme according to which snowflakes are cut out of paper, and then transfer it to the dough, you can use a pencil. When this painstaking work is over, you need to carefully cut out according to the pattern – this is a good training for fine motor skills for children over six years old..
- Use the simplest forms. You need to draw a snowflake, then make thin flagella out of the dough and fold the snowflake out of them. This work is also quite painstaking, requiring perseverance, and is not suitable for small children..
Painstaking work, requires perseverance
Snowflakes look especially good when painted with silver paint..
More difficult crafts: Santa Claus and Snow Maiden
Santa Claus and Snow Maiden are also easy to make, but the simplest forms are no longer enough. There are several ways:
- Palms. A good idea for playing with young children – you need to attach your palm to the dough, cut it out along the contour, bake the resulting print, and then paint it: your fingers will become a beard, your thumb will become a hat, small blue eyes and a drawn mustache will remain in a small free area.
A more complex craft, but everyone can do it
- A drop. It’s also easy – you need to cut a drop from the dough, and then a wide strip, the edge of which is cut into narrower transverse strips and attach to the drop. Then it remains to slightly curl narrow strips, attach a nose circle and a slightly curled mustache over them, and put everything in the oven. And then paint it in white, red and flesh colors..
- Mosaic. You need to find a beautiful paper sketch of Santa Claus, then cut out a figurine from the dough on it, and then, according to it, separate parts – pens, beard, face, hat and put them on top. As a result, you will get something like a volumetric coloring, the main beauty of which will be given with the help of flowers..
Gorgeous and not difficult at all – make your children happy
For older children – and for adults who want to test their skills – the flat face of Santa Claus, which is made up of individual elements, is suitable. Perform it sequentially:
- first cut out the background – a circle, or a star, or any other beautiful shape;
- then they cut out an oval for the face and a triangle for a hat, put one on top of the other;
- supply the hat with fur – that is, a thin strip of dough;
- make a round red nose and pink cheeks, the mouth can be pressed in, like the eyes, or it can be made bulging;
- a curled mustache is applied on top – they can be made lush, or from two thin strips;
- put a beard on top – you can draw it, you can make it from thin curled stripes, you can just make it flat, with a smooth wavy edge.
Sometimes frightens off by the complexity of execution
The result is baked and painted. And if you do not make a beard and mustache, but instead make a bang and a braid, you will get a Snow Maiden – and her hat, of course, needs to be painted blue.
It will be interesting for you: OVERVIEW: Crafts from plastic and cork corks (130+ Photos): Making unique items with your own hands
An even more interesting way to make Santa Claus and Snow Maiden out of dough is to make them voluminous. This, of course, is more difficult than making a silhouette and coloring it, but also more fun, especially since you can experiment in the process.. The main steps look like this:
- make a frame – it can be made of foil, it can be made from a glass jar without a label, it can be made from an old light bulb, it can be made from a clay cup;
- stick the dough onto the frame, evenly and neatly – this will be a fur coat;
- make a ball, stick a nose on it, press in your eyes – a head;
- make a cone – a cap, and then two smaller cones – handles.
In the process, you can experiment
The Snow Maiden needs a braid of woven flagella, and Santa Claus needs a beard curling at the ends and a mustache to it. When the figures are ready, you can bake them, and then add accessories.. You can make a bag for Santa Claus – it’s better to sew, but you can also make a dough – and a long silvery staff made of foil. The Snow Maiden does not have such recognizable objects, but you can give her a bunny made of cotton wool, for example, or a large star made of foil.
Then the figures are painted and you can put them under the tree.
And, of course, you can’t do without a Christmas tree for the New Year, even if it is made of dough.. There are several ways to do it:
- Simplest – make star figures, each slightly larger than the previous one, and twist a hole in each in the middle. After baking, paint them green (or white) and connect with a string. Beads can be attached to the lace between the stars to make it more beautiful.
- Harder – make a large cone of dough and, pinching with nail scissors, cover it with needles. This work is small and with a sharp object, therefore, children should be trusted only under the supervision of adults and after explaining what safety precautions are..
- Even harder – make a large cone, and then push additional lumps of dough in a garlic press. The result will be long, noodle-like sausages. They need to be carefully trimmed and glued to the tree, starting from the top, layer by layer..
We fix the top of the head and can be painted
For the smallest, two simple options are suitable:
- Make flat tree shapes. To do this, simply cut them out of the dough layer with a blunt toy knife and bake them. While the dough is soft, you can make beautiful patterns on it..
- Make a pyramid herringbone. To do this, mold plump, starfish-like figures from the dough and put them one on top of the other. Such an exercise will not only help the child develop fine motor skills, but also practice in determining the size of objects – a very relevant skill for an age of two to three years..
Be sure to do such crafts with your children.
To make the tree look more fun, of course, it needs to be decorated. To do this, you can make small balls from the dough, which are then painted in different colors, you can cut garlands from paper, you can blind a big important star, you can make paper decorations or stick small candies in bright wrappers on top.
A simpler option for little ones
The main thing is that as a result, the tree looks like a New Year’s festive and creates the right mood.
VIDEO: Best Salty Dough Recipe for Crafts
Decorations turn out especially well if you make her with the whole family to New Year’s music. Try to make a craft with the children – there will be no limit to delight. And most importantly, it will remain for you for a long memory.