Gemini bell peppers will be a highlight in your vegetable beds
Gemini sweet pepper is a high-yielding Dutch variety for outdoor and greenhouse cultivation. It has a bright yellow rind and juicy, fleshy walls. Pepper is perfect for summer salads and cold cuts, hot dishes, as well as for preservation. In addition, it is appreciated for its ease of care – a rich harvest can be obtained even in a small area..
Features of the variety
Gemini F1 is a popular Dutch breeding hybrid. It is a yellow sweet pepper of medium early maturity, adapted for open and closed ground. Bushes reach up to 50−60 cm high. They have a straight, strong main stem and a dense crown. Up to 10 fruits are formed on one plant per season.
The main characteristics to look out for when describing Gemini pepper are:
- ripening time – from 72 to 78 days after germination;
- fruit weight – from 320 to 400 g;
- yield – from 2.5 to 4.7 kg per square meter;
- wall thickness – from 6 to 8 mm.
The fruits of the Gemini pepper variety are large, juicy, with a bright sweet taste and pronounced aroma. There is no bitterness in them, so they are considered universal. Due to its excellent taste and interesting yellow color, the fruits are useful for daily and festive meals. They can be eaten fresh, added to hot meals and snacks, and canned for the winter..
Growing at home
Gemini peppers are easy to grow at home. It takes root on a universal soil, adapts well to weather conditions, while demonstrating high yields. Peppers are propagated by seeds – they can be purchased at the store in packs.
Start preparing seedlings in early March, and in the southern regions at the end of February. Take a wide but not deep container and fill it with soil. For growing seedlings, a universal nutritious soil is suitable. Deepen the seeds 1 cm and leave them under the plastic.
Take care of them according to the instructions:
- The optimum room temperature is from 22 to 27 °. The speed of seed germination will depend on this factor..
- After 2 weeks, the first shoots appear. It is not so important for young seedlings to stay in the sun for a long time, as for tomatoes, but it is better to artificially extend the daylight hours to 12 hours. Use lamps for this.
- Watering is regular but moderate. Make sure that the soil does not dry out and water it constantly with warm water. However, do not allow moisture to stagnate so that the roots do not start to rot..
- Air humidity is another important condition. Install a special humidifier in the room where the seedlings are kept. If not, leave an open container of water near a heat source or near a container with seedlings.
- Hardening – start the procedure 2 weeks before transplanting. Gradually leave containers with young plants in front of an open window or take them outside. Start at 20−30 minutes and gradually increase the time.
When the outside temperature is stable within 15 °, the seedlings can be transplanted into the open ground. At this time, the bushes will already have at least 5−6 leaves, and they will reach a height of about 15 cm.Place them at a distance of 50−60 cm apart and add organic fertilizers.
There are several features of growing F1 Gemini peppers. Despite the fact that the variety is unpretentious and easily bears fruit in the open field, it is important to devote enough time to caring for the plantings..
Plants have several requirements:
- Watering is regular. Water the beds in the morning or evening, but not in bright sunlight. However, do not flood them or allow moisture to stagnate..
- Top dressing – necessary for the growth of large fruits with thick walls. In the fall, you can apply organic fertilizers (manure or humus), and during the growth of pepper, add mineral mixtures based on potassium and phosphorus.
- Treatment from diseases and pests – for preventive purposes is not required.
- Mulching is a useful procedure for maintaining water balance and for protecting against weeds. Otherwise, remove them mechanically as they grow..
The Gemini pepper has a thick crown and large leaves. They protect the fruit from direct sunlight and burns..
Gemini sweet pepper is a plant that you should definitely grow on your own site. It is easy to care for, highly productive, with excellent taste and aroma. Harvesting takes place at the beginning of August. Sweet peppers will find use on any table, useful for bright summer snacks and festive dishes.