For many years the Bere Bosc pear has been growing in our gardens
It is no coincidence that the owners of private gardens are interested in the pear Bere Bosc. It is convenient to have a tree with tasty fruits on the site, which lives for more than 50 years. In order for the culture to annually please the owners with a stable harvest, it is important to familiarize yourself with the conditions of its cultivation and the rules of care..
The history of the selection of the variety and its description
The variety appeared in the State Register in 1947 after testing by breeders. He comes from France. Unknown seeds were used to breed the culture, so the name of the parental pair remains in question.
Today, pears are actively grown in the Crimea, Stavropol Territory and Transcaucasia. Culture is popular in Moldova, Belarus, Ukraine. On the Black Sea coast, it has optimal climate conditions.
With the participation of the culture, about 20 new varieties were bred.
In the description of the pear variety Bere Bosk, it is worth mentioning the distinctive features:
- long and massive branches;
- rough gray-brown bark;
- small lentils;
- smooth leaves of dark green color;
- abundant flowering;
- elongated bottle-shaped fruits;
- thick stalks;
- eating fruits on September 5-15;
- snow-white pulp with a creamy shade;
- calyx with a narrow depression.
With proper care, the tree grows to a tall size in 1-2 years. It blooms in late spring. Fruiting 6-8 years after planting.
The mass of an average pear of the Bere Bosk variety is 150-250 g. The skin is thin and rough, yellow-brown in color. When stored, it becomes almost bronze..
Slightly curved stalks are not afraid of strong gusts of wind. The juicy pulp has a delicate texture. Growing pears Bere Bosk is aimed at fresh consumption. Taste is rated at 4.4-4.8 points.
The name of the pear variety is associated with the French agronomist Bosca.
Advantages and disadvantages of the variety
Gardeners admire the sweet taste of pear, which has an almond flavor and spicy notes..
There are other pluses in the characterization of the Bere Bosc pear:
- large fruit sizes;
- high productivity;
- undemanding to the composition of the soil;
- resistance to fungal diseases;
- good marketability;
- useful acids in the pulp.
The fruits tolerate transportation well, but when stored in the refrigerator they lose their juiciness, and the pulp becomes firm and crispy..
A vigorous pear tree of the Bere Bosc variety has lived for at least half a century..
The pear has weaknesses:
- uneven maturation;
- fear of drafts;
- low drought resistance;
- heterogeneous pear shape;
- poor winter hardiness.
The crown of the tree needs an annual formative pruning..
Autumn is a good time to plant. Experienced gardeners prefer this period. The place for the seedling should be protected from wind gusts. Pear Bere Bosk loves warmth and sun.
When planting, it is important to observe the following rules:
- Sandy-chernozem soil is best suited.
- Before planting, the roots are soaked in warm water for several hours. To prevent the development of fungal diseases, manganese crystals are added to it.
- The distance between adjacent trees should be at least 5 meters. It is important to provide the culture with free space, since the tree grows strongly in width and height..
- The planting pit is at least 70-80 cm deep. It is prepared 14 days in advance. Black soil is placed at the bottom, and the soil is mixed with organic fertilizers.
- The roots are straightened before backfilling. A stake is driven in nearby, to which the trunk is tied.
The planted tree is watered slowly using 20-25 liters of water. When moisture is absorbed, the seedling is re-sprinkled with earth..
Pear Bere Bosc is a good pollinator for other crops. It is advised to plant next to pear varieties Krasny Kavkaz, Olympus, Bon Louise.
It is possible to harvest from tall branches of pears thanks to a special fruit picker. It is made independently using a plastic bottle and a long pole..
Caring for a pear Bere Bosk consists in the following manipulations:
- good watering once a week;
- fertilization 3 times a year, provided that the soil is not fertile;
- pruning twice in 12 months.
The branches are made of the same length, young shoots are removed. Work with pruning shears at right angles. Areas of pruning are covered with garden putty..
For the winter, a young tree is covered by covering the crown with brushwood. In the future, it will be enough to insulate the trunk.
Only a healthy tree bears good fruit, so it is important to protect the pear from rust, powdery mildew, moniliosis, cytosporosis. As a preventive measure, in the spring, the trunk is treated with Bordeaux liquid and urea solution.
Infection control measures include:
- regular inspection of trees;
- destruction of damaged leaves and fruits;
- spraying during flowering, pouring the fruit and before the start of blooming.
Fungicides will save the culture from parasites.
Water for irrigation pears are not taken from a well or well. Better to stock it up in barrels beforehand..
Pear Bere Bosc through the eyes of gardeners
According to gardeners’ reviews, the Bere Bosk pear gives large yields. Housewives make sweet preserves from the fruits, jam, jam, wine, boil compotes and freeze slices for the winter. The main thing is not to store the plucked pear for too long..
The variety does not take long to leave. Diseases and pests rarely affect trees. Planting material is very popular on the market. It is purchased in proven nurseries. The cost of a seedling is 250-350 rubles. It must have at least three developed branches and long, strong rhizomes..
To determine the ripeness of a pear, experts advise paying attention to the following signs:
- fruits are easily plucked from the tree;
- the first carrion appeared;
- the color of the peel has changed;
- the taste has become sweet and juicy.
Gardeners recommend storing fruits at a temperature of 1-2 degrees below zero. Relative humidity should be 85-90%. A cellar or garage is ideal. Thus, caring for the Bere Bosk pear is not much different from other similar species. The main disadvantage is considered to be weak frost resistance..