Why is a trellis necessary for growing blackberries?
Juicy and sweet blackberries are unpretentious, they tolerate dry heat and wet cool weather equally well. Grows quickly, so the blackberry trellis helps organize order and makes picking berries easier.
What is the use of a trellis?
There are a lot of varieties of fruit shrubs, you can pick up straight growing and with weaving shoots, which require a little support in order to develop and bear fruit normally..
A garter of blackberries on a trellis will help to place seedlings in a strictly limited space, as well as:
- save part of the crop from contact with the ground;
- ensure the normal movement of air so that there are no conditions for the development of mold and mildew;
- will accelerate the ripening of berries that receive enough sunlight.
Read the rules for attaching blackberry shoots to the support in order to avoid deformation and improper development of the crown of the bush.
There are certain rules when creating a trellis for a blackberry, it is easy to follow them, certain skills are not required from a gardener. But after the construction of the supporting fence for the weaving bushes, you can count on significant changes:
- care becomes more comfortable;
- it is easier to cut branches and clean the bushes of dry leaves;
- loosen the ground and water;
- remove weeds;
- apply fertilizers;
- harvesting is faster;
- easier to prepare the plant for wintering.
The most popular constructions in the garden are two-lane and single-lane trellis. The two options have many fans alike, but with one wire you will often find it in small areas, when several blackberry bushes are planted for the needs of the family.
A tall trellis with two parallel wires is preferred by professional farmers who take into account temporary factors for caring for a bush and harvesting, trying to minimize crop loss and maximize space.
There are many options for what a trellis with one stretched wire can be: in the form of a fan, horizontal or inclined. Do-it-yourself blackberry trellis, subject to basic knowledge, is erected in a short time.
The two-lane blackberry trellis has, of course, an advantage. Parallel wires allow better bush formation, which has a positive effect on plant development and increased yield.
Several designs have become widespread, they all take their name from the capital letters of the English alphabet (T, V, Y). The bottom line is that the horizontal bars serve as a support for powerful shoots that need to be laid out on both sides of the bush..
The most technologically advanced design of the trellis is a Y-shape. Racks are movable due to the hinge, which facilitate the “work” with the blackberry bush.
What should we build a trellis?
How to make a trellis for a blackberry with your own hands in order to avoid mistakes is probably the main question for gardeners. You can buy ready-made designs for every taste, but when there is a desire to try your hand, there will be no difficulties in work..
High-quality materials for the construction of the trellis will significantly affect its durability..
It is necessary to pick up pillars (2.5-3 m) made of wood or metal, taking into account the future load and wire.
- Dig holes with a depth of at least 50 cm to install the support pillar. Span distance approx. 5 m.
- Brick chips or gravel are poured at the bottom of the recesses to prevent the pillar from shrinking and install it by ramming the ground.
- Mark the places of the rows of wire on the pillar, observing a span of 60 cm between them.Pull it as much as possible to exclude weakening and sagging.
- Blackberries are planted at equal distances along the trellis.
If you put in an effort, the work will not take long. A photo of a trellis for blackberries can be found on the Internet and in special literature in order to choose the appropriate option and form the upcoming task.
Read also the article: how to tie cucumbers correctly?