What a gardener needs to know about a large-fruited and productive variety of raspberries Patricia
Raspberry Patricia is a variety loved by many gardeners and combines ease of maintenance, high yield, large fruit size and excellent taste of berries. It belongs to the universal, since due to its high cold resistance and ability it tolerates a decrease in air to -33 ° С it is grown in almost all regions of Russia.
Raspberry Patricia – description and features of the variety
Raspberry Patricia is considered to be one of the best varieties of Russian selection. It was bred by Professor V.V. Kichin at the Institute of Horticulture VSTISP on the basis of the British variety Patricia. In 1992, the new variety was entered into the State Register of Russia and zoned for cultivation in central Russia and regions with a cold climate..
Description of Raspberry Patricia:
- Raspberry bushes reach 180-190 cm in height, they are strong and densely leafy.
- Shoots are smooth, of medium thickness and have no thorns. They are straight and downy
- The leaf plates are large, bright green, with jagged edges. Young leaves may have a pinkish-red hue.
- The fruits are large, their weight is 10-12 g. On fruit shoots, up to 15-20 berries with a velvety surface are usually formed.
- The berries have a truncated-conical shape, alo-purple color, a pleasant, sweet taste and an expressive raspberry aroma..
- The variety is distinguished by long-term fruiting, which can last up to 10-12 weeks..
- The yield is high, up to 5-6 kg per bush (230-260 kg per one hundred square meters). The largest harvest can be harvested in the third year after planting..
Raspberries of the Patricia variety are not included in the number of remontant varieties, therefore they yield a crop only once a year..
Rules for growing raspberries Patricia
Raspberry Patricia can be planted both in spring and autumn. For the climatic conditions of Russia, autumn planting is considered a more successful option. During the winter, the seedling manages to take root and gain strength for spring fruiting.
It is very important to choose the right site for planting raspberries. In this case, you need to take into account the basic rules:
- The site should be well lit, since with a lack of sunlight, the yield of the plant decreases, it often suffers from diseases and attacks of insect pests.
- It is best to choose a place with sandy loam, loamy soil or fertile black soil. Sandy and clayey soil is not suitable for raspberries Patricia.
- Prepare the site – dig up and fertilize with a mixture of manure, superphosphate and potassium.
The plot should be started to be prepared 5-6 months before planting the seedlings. If such preparation was not carried out, it is necessary to add complex mineral fertilizers or humus to the planting holes.
You can buy Patricia raspberry seedlings at gardening stores. Examine them carefully before purchasing – they must have strong and healthy roots, stems at least 5 mm thick and tough green buds.
Planting scheme for seedlings:
- Prepare the planting holes, leaving a distance of 80-100 cm between them.The holes should not be deep, as the raspberry roots grow in breadth.
- Shorten the seedlings to 30 cm.
- Dip the seedling into the hole and gently straighten its roots. The root collar should go 2-3 cm deep into the ground.
Fill the holes with soil, lightly tamp. Water each seedling liberally and mulch with fallen leaves, hay, peat or other material for long-term moisture retention.
The basics of caring for Patricia raspberries
Planting and caring for Patricia raspberries does not cause any particular difficulties and does not require a lot of time, which made this variety popular among novice gardeners..
Basic rules of care:
- Pruning – carried out in spring, summer and fall. In the process of pruning, all fertile branches and excess growth are removed. On each bush, it is advisable to leave more than 4-6 strong and strong shoots.
- Top dressing – during the growing season, raspberries need to be fertilized three times. In the spring, at the end of March, the first feeding is carried out, containing the whole complex of nutrients – nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus. To do this, you can use an infusion of chicken manure, mullein, or urea. During the flowering period, you can use boric acid (15-20 g per 10 l of water), fruiting – nitrophoska (35-45 g).
- Watering – its frequency depends on weather conditions. Each bush will need at least 2 buckets of water. In this case, you need to ensure that moisture does not get on the stems and leaves of raspberries..
- Preparing for winter – additional shelter for raspberries in winter is not needed. It may be required only in case of minimal amount of snowfall, icing, sharp gusts of wind or strong and sharp frosts..
Raspberry Patricia is one of the varieties of Russian selection, popular among beginners and experienced gardeners. Caring for it does not require much effort and time, even with minimal attention, it will thank you with a generous harvest of large, tasty and sweet berries..